Anyone had bad accidents while working?

Hi all,

I was working for a friend of mine a few months back, on the skips, i was putting 2 skips into another to put the 3 up and deliver them, when 2 never came down straight, so i went round to have a look why, i seen the shackle wasn’t on correctly, so like a idiot, i kicked the shackle, and the skips came swinging down landing on my hand

yes…it hurt alot, no broken bones, slightly damaged pulley system in my hand, but nothign lasting Thank god…i was lucky

this is most recent, about 2 weeks ago…

i stuffed a truck into the side of a asda trailer a few years ago as per mays t&d mag(no pics,it was before cameras were invented),and fell off the top of my transporter,did nerve and disc damage to my back.i also slipped once getting out of a car,and split my top lip wide open ,on the top edge of the drivers door.
bit of a walking disaster really. :blush: :blush:

this being the result of a sunny afternoon in february, getting run over by a forklift with the driver yapping on the celly while backing up at full speed. four fractures + loadsa other injuries, only a single surgery though fortunately. got back on my feet a few days ago, hurts like hell though.

i got my fingers trapped inbetween scaffolding boards while the forkie was lifting them up, daft ■■■■ never realised i was dangling from them until somebody told him even tho i was cursing him with every name under the sun,

luckily i didnt do any damage to my hand or fingers, just hurt for a day afterwards.

Some of these look nasty compared to mine.

I loaded at Milbrook Proving ground for Germany about 10 years ago and was loading a few bits and bobs by hand when I noticed a small puddle of blood on the floor, I had caught my little finger on a piece of metal that had been cut with a disc cutter, the edge was so sharp I never even felt it, stopped at Luton hospital (nightmare to park a truck) and went and had it stitched, shot in the arris with anti tetanus but they strapped my hand up to my shoulder, I told them I was driving so they removed it and told me to hold it high for a few hours, anyone driving the other way must have thought I was waving at them LOL

I am another FLT victim. Walked behind a truck that was about to go forward but came back instead. Ran right over my leg and caused a compound fracture (that’s one where the bone sticks out) of the tib and fib. Yes it does sting a bit but that gas and air they use is teriffic.

Six months off work and two years to sort out the compo. Still got 30cms of titanium in the shin and four screws plus some scars and a numb knee (from where they inserted said titanium).

Was once delivering reels of paper on the roll to Watmaughs at Idle. Knocked the chock out of one and it rolled back, trapping me between it and the reel at the back. That wasn’t the problem though. I lost my balance and put my hand on the back reel just as the clamp truck picked it up. Broke all my fingers in my left hand.

It stung a bit but was nice when the pain wore off.

unloading a cherry picker and got some free flying lessons !!!broken foot,wriste,two ribs two vertabrays?? and to top it off blood clot on ma lung!!! happy days…not :smiley:

I lost control on a bend in my Military Police patrol car and collided with a petrol tanker! The car was a write off, they found the bonnet 100m away in a field. I walked away with a slight nick on my elbow from where it went through the drivers door window :open_mouth:

i slipped off the top step of a scania and landed on the ground on my back. couldnt move for ten minutes and they wanted me to carry on with the shift. sure i will :unamused:

When i was out with my dad, when i were a nipper, he took the top of his finger off while tightening the curtains on a taughtliner.

Scarred me for life that did :open_mouth:

fell out the trailer and elbow took full force. Broke it. Still cracks like hell almost a year later

in my warehouse days i broke my arm falling off ladders and 2 years ago i lost grip of the curtain at a delivery in strong winds and the pole caught me -broke my cheek bone :cry:

Ive had some seriously lucky near misses though like a pallet of coke falling 20ft from stacking and landing just at my feet. Close shave :open_mouth:

Remind me never to go out for a drink with you lot, I thought I was bad enough!!! :open_mouth: :smiley:

about year and a half a go … while on the agency for Iceland… just completed me last pallet off for the Wishaw store and i was loading up the RSU with the store manager pulled it to hard on to the uneven lip on the tail lift and proceded to fall over the SAFETY flap that are in place to prevent such accidents … :blush: :blush:

broke two ribs … :blush: :blush:

ouch…laid up for 3 weeks

whilst going to tip a load of scrap peice of pipe came over the top of the trailer missed the steel toe cap took my sock and boot off and my toes where in my sock not on my foot. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Cant really go into details about when/where…

But landed on my arse one day, carrying something, felt a ‘wet crunch’ in my head, major pain in my back.

Off to Drs who puts me off work for two weeks, I can barely walk. Work sends me to Co Physio, who sends me for X ray on lower soine, no probs found, 2 months off and im back at work, bear in mind im working in a heavy industry, this was in July 02, Jan 03 and im having chronic chest pains, back pains, headaches, cant tie shoe laces and almost in tears at time with the pain…

Back to Drs who prescribe anti D’s, I saw my arse and went private…

Monday saw consultant X rays of full spine, even I saw the problem…
Tuesday in MRI scanner…
Thursday saw the surgeon…

Net result was April 2003 in for a major spinal op, because my spine was broken, shards of bone by the spinal cord, the chest pain was because my sternum was taking the weight of my upper body.

In HDU for 49 hours, op involved collapsing lung, bone grafts from ribs, bolts and plates, large incision from the side and working inside the rib cage, 7 nights in a private room, what joy not…
2nd op in September but that was only a few nights for a decompression, more bolts though.

Net result is 10 bolts and 5 plates…

BUT after the 10 months off work to recover (Was on full pay :smiley: ) then 6 months on light duties (Boring as hell) I now have no pain at all, up until the op after spending most of my life jumping off trailers and loads I had always had back pain. Now, nothing, brilliant…

Was told i should have been in a wheel chair, Surgeon even now when I go for a check up, cant believe that I am walking and the recovery I made, he still calls me a effin miracle, so much so that he used my case at a big seminar in Kuala Lumber he was involved in.
Mind you nearly got slung out of Physio 5 weeks after the 1st op, was a nice day, so I turned up on me Honda Blackbird, Physio went apepoo…

About 16 years ago delivered waste paper to Kemsley Mill.
Swept the bed off chucked the sheets on the back. Throws one strap over hooks on the chasie. The ratchet has a long lead that will hook on the other chasie beam starts to tighten strap one last push and

yes the hook come off fly’s up between my legs and the crown jewels feel like they’ve been hit with a sledge hammer … :open_mouth:

I’m now on the floor praying to Allah dont care what direction but thats the position I’m in and staying in. Chap comes over to see whats wrong and the next thing I have 1st aiders comming from all over the place :cry:
Site ambulance turns up and they take me to the medical centre where a local Dr comes in and has a look.

■■■■■■■■■ Nut’s is what i had the size of coconuts.
Decline the trip to hospital as Dr says just bruised :open_mouth: Rang boss swapped motors with another lad made my way home with a bag of pees from the local store to help for about an hour … Worst bit

Wife thought it was so funny seeing nuts so black and big :blush: and not much else showing :blush: :blush: :blush:

Not as bad as some but hell that hurt

nick2008:
About 16 years ago delivered waste paper to Kemsley Mill.
Swept the bed off chucked the sheets on the back. Throws one strap over hooks on the chasie. The ratchet has a long lead that will hook on the other chasie beam starts to tighten strap one last push and

yes the hook come off fly’s up between my legs and the crown jewels feel like they’ve been hit with a sledge hammer … :open_mouth:

I’m now on the floor praying to Allah dont care what direction but thats the position I’m in and staying in. Chap comes over to see whats wrong and the next thing I have 1st aiders comming from all over the place :cry:
Site ambulance turns up and they take me to the medical centre where a local Dr comes in and has a look.

■■■■■■■■■ Nut’s is what i had the size of coconuts.
Decline the trip to hospital as Dr says just bruised :open_mouth: Rang boss swapped motors with another lad made my way home with a bag of pees from the local store to help for about an hour … Worst bit

Wife thought it was so funny seeing nuts so black and big :blush: and not much else showing :blush: :blush: :blush:

Not as bad as some but hell that hurt

That was round at the old waste site if I recall, it was Colin from security who came to your aid with the ambulance, yes remember it well, we were in at the time, gave us a laugh for about a week that one did…

Fell orf me trailer in Feb’ 05, landing on my noggin on the concrete. After fourteen months off work, I went back, driving a rigid. Only lasted six months, and the giddiness and nausea came back with a vengeance. Haven’t worked since, AND IT’S DRIVING ME ■■■■■■■ NUTS. :angry: