Injuries..

Whats your worst work related one (if any). Mines three broken fingers and a gouged left arm when a cab came down on me and wasnt quick enough to get out of the way. My hand occasionally still reminds me when i put my palm on a flat surface…always well wary now when the cabs tilted…

Had a groupage board land on me once from the top rung. They hurt.

cab steps+shins, always…

The last 20 footer of the day into Pompey docks…

Had the stiffest doors any of us had seen for a while. Despite two blokes with a short scaffold bar on the handles we couldn’t get the door handles locked off. Losing time and wanting to go home, in my youth and anger, I picked up the scaffold bar and swung it in sheer frustration at the handles. It bounced straight back at me like a tennis ball that had been returned by Boris Becker and clocked me right on the forehead. They all laughed and I went down like a sack of carrots.

You really do see little stars and fireworks.

I had a lump the size of a baseball within 5 minutes. Still drove it down the docks and swapped boxes though lol.

6 broken ribs in one, lost 8 teeth and broke jaw in another.

Left hand crushed when a clamp truck picked up a reel of paper I had my hand on after losing my balance.

Ripped the skin to the bone on my right forearm and elbow. Had 4 operations including one nearly 10hrs long to make it ‘nice’ again, they stole meat from between my shoulder and elbow and skin from my thighs.

Had a few other smaller injuries at the same time and spent 2 weeks in hospital, I wont be rolling a lorry again hopefully!

Banged various bits and bobs. But by far the best injury I’ve ever had was obtained on a works Christmas do go karting, someone shunted me into another kart. Vibrations came up the steering column and broke a bone in my hand, made it blow up like a balloon, 3 years later and I still don’t have the same kind of grip strength in my hand and aches like ■■■■ when it’s cold!

Ripped my left arm open in 2003 on a ratchet.

Pouring rain during thunderstorm. Curtainsider. 24 tonnes of spuds to be dropped at small place in east Lincs. Big que behind. Made mistake of rushing. Wearing my diesel gloves. Second mistake. Just about to release tension on ratchet of spud container and it failed with spring tensioner coming adrift. Same time my hand slipped and jagged spring tore into my forearm. Didn’t notice and carried on. Backed up the wagon into position effin and jeffing about the inpatient ■■■■■■. Noticed my oily arm was deep crimson and sticky :laughing: with a distinctive interior view of the inside of my arm to boot! :laughing: . Was tramping at the time so I sellotaped it up :laughing: . Surprise surprise it got infected and had several weeks of my then girlfriend (long gone) passing comment about 'that looks horrific" and feeling pretty ill :laughing:

Airline flying proved much more unsafe. I slipped on ice whilst turning on some stone steps outside my house as I was on standby and had forgotten my phone. Snapped my wrist in half. Was like celery :laughing: . Saw it move over and all. Funny thing was I lived down a country lane and started to feel very odd. It was something like minus 8 that night. I couldn’t think straight and just sat down and vomited. A fairly safe injury albeit agony but started to get a bit serious. After ten mins some small bit of my small brain woke up and I realised with the outside temp as it was I was probably going into a little bit of shock and not the best idea to fall asleep in the snow having vomited with a floppy wrist . I couldn’t make it up the steps but made it to the car, smoked about ten ■■■■ and called my misses (a new one, not the other one). One thing suprised me was how odd you behave when shocked, I got into a “discussion” with a quack at a and e about whether it was broken :laughing: :unamused:

Torn Achillies tendon in my left ankle and had to sit with it for another 7 days and then drive back to Newcastle from Freidrickshaven in Southern Germany, luckily the truck was fully automatic otherwise I couldn’t have done it. Got home then three months in plaster not bad as I was doing the job as a favour …

Caught my thumb on a panel saw years back

Just nipped a small part of ( barely noticeable ) , got it out the way just in time

Must admit, was a tad sore :open_mouth:

F-reds:
3 years later and I still don’t have the same kind of grip strength in my hand and aches like [zb] when it’s cold!

Can relate to this exactly! Not quite so bad when south but northern France in winter is when it gets me and like you, grip strength falls way short of my right hand…

More recently it’s only been the odd minor knock but going back a bit I’ve had a couple of relatively serious situations.
First one was about 20 odd years ago when I broke three fingers and also managed to deglove one of them at the same time when a dwang (old style chain tensioner) kicked back.
Second one was about twelve years back when I fell of the truck and snapped the ball off the end of the bone at my elbow, this one still give me a lot of grief.

If lorry drivers think they’re tough I’ll tell you a story about an old boss of mine in flying. We had a senior lady training Captain. A very tough, portly Yorkshire woman in her 50s who carried a mans wallet and had a formidable reputation and temper to boot but underneath a great woman and outstanding pilot. She’s been on television several times, particularly a program where Ewan McGregor is learning to have a go at flying a dambusters raid and tried his hand in a DC3. Anyway. What is relevant is her left little finger was missing from the hand down.

We all wondered how she’d lost it. Was she born like that or was it some misfortune? After much gentle persuasion an opportunity arose when we were sitting around on standby and she was in a good mood and she told us. She was doing some base training up in Scotland on the Douglas DC3 for the coastguard contract we had. She’d completed this bloke’s check and was finished. Now, she had an urgent dental appointment to fix a filling. So instead of waiting for the aircraft to taxi back to the pan, she said to the chap to park outside the gate, she’d hop off the rear and he could taxi it back. The DC3 has a big metal barn like door on the rear left. She opened it and jumped down onto the ground.

She said she felt a “pull” , looked up and saw what she thought was some strands of her jacket streatching up to the door. At this point she explained how ■■■■■■ off she was as it was a new bit of uniform. She started to walk away from the idling aircraft and felt a “tug” and sever pain from her arm :laughing: . She looked down and realised the chord extended from the door of the DC3 to what was now the stump where her little finger was supposed to be. Her finger was still stuck to the door, some ten feet away. The chord was actually her tendon :laughing: . What had caused this was a signet ring given to her as a present by a former pilot had caught on a ragged metal edge of the door and when she jumped, she literally pulled her finger off. Ripped it off.

At this point she fell to the ground in slight shock. Unfortunately, as instructed the skipper of the idling DC3, presuming she was away started to turn and taxi away. Lying on the foor she realised the tail wheel was about to run over her. Still being stuck to the aircraft via her tendon, she jumped up. The finger fell off the door and she ran round to face the cockpit giving it the “chop” signal. He shut down and she fainted :laughing: . The couldn’t reattach it so that’s what was left, a missing finger.

Moving a van (transit i think) into the workshop one very cold morning, thick ice on the windsreen and side window frozen solid, so decided to drive it in semi standing with door open looking through the gap. Door hit some boxes and closed on my head nipping it between the door frame and the ‘A’ post - split my ear open - jeez - it fair smarted.

Fractured neck/broken nose, on ferry from Cairnryan to Larne early seventies I’d had been towed onto the ferry due to a flat battery or dodgy terminal
Having a cup of tea in drivers room and one of the crew asked me could I fix it, I said I’ll
try so me and another driver went below to tilt the cab, it was a Leyland Mandator with a sleeper pod that had been added onto the rear so making it heavy for tilting, no hydraulic
ram it was “Mandraulic”, the two batterys were fitted on the chassis under the cab right at the front, the other driver went back to the drivers room after we tilted the cab
So I was sat forwards between the front wheel and the engine tightend the battery terminal, Next thing the cab come down smacked my head and I heard my neck snap
I was lying flat and my right arm was trapped I was under there for two hours until we docked in Larne, I had shouted that much during the voyage I couldn’t speak and nobody could see me and they were saying see if the keys are in the ignition and get someone to drive it off, I imagined the noise of the engine and my legs getting trapped by the wheel and my legs going up the ramp, next thing the driver came back that had helped to me to tilt the cab and shouted underneath " have you finished with my spanner mate"
He then realised I was trapped the cab was tilted and I was lifted out, spent three months in The Royal hospital nr Belfast. made me laugh the driver coming back for a rusty spanner, Lucky he did though. sorry to ramble on so much

mac12:
6 broken ribs in one, lost 8 teeth and broke jaw in another.

Sounds like a good Saturday night out .

alfa man:
More recently it’s only been the odd minor knock but going back a bit I’ve had a couple of relatively serious situations.
First one was about 20 odd years ago when I broke three fingers and also managed to deglove one of them at the same time when a dwang (old style chain tensioner) kicked back.
Second one was about twelve years back when I fell of the truck and snapped the ball off the end of the bone at my elbow, this one still give me a lot of grief.

I had the same , levering paper reels on the roll and the bar slipped , elbow went down onto the floor .About 10 years later i couldn’t bend my arm , saw the bone doctor and the end of the ball had snapped off and over time had migrated round into the joint and wedged . As you say , not very nice and even after having the bone chip removed i still get pain in the arm and it was 20 years ago now . Dave

right arm snapped at the elbow, bone sticking out, chipped left arm, fractored back, fractored skull, all at the sametime :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Broken right arm. Got caught in a screed roller when concreting one time, smaller of the 2 forearm bones snapped in half and my hand was almost completely ripped off at the wrist leaving the larger bone sticking out where my hand should have been. Weird thing is I can’t say it really hurt that much the worst thing I remember cos I was trapped for 45 minutes was I had really bad pins and needles in my hand, except where I pointed to, to show the paramedic was where my hand should have been and not where it was. Snapped all the nerves at the same time so because the paramedics wouldn’t let me look at it apparently my brain thought my hand was still attached. It was classed as an amputation by the hospital.