Any VOSA MoT examiners on here?

can anyone answer a question for me?

will a truck pass an MoT with this small crack in the windscreen?

the size of the crack is 200mm from the bottom edge and 75mm from the side.

as can be seen, the crack is on the nearside bottom of the windscreen, the pic was taken from inside the cab

I would say no it should not pass as it runs from one edge to another edge, weakening the screen

If the crack does not fully go to the edge you may be lucky but its down to the tester at the end of the day

My opinion is no it wont pass

Pete

There are at least 4 VOSA T.E.O’s on here that should be able to give you an answer. But as has been said i would imagine that would be a fail…But then again i’m no M.O.T inspector.

This guy’s was snapped driving back from having his M.O.T done… :open_mouth:Â :laughing:Â :laughing:
so there is some hope for that small crack… :confused:Â

Yeah no need to tell me :blush: :blush: :blush:

Coat, hat TAXI :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Discopete:
I would say no it should not pass as it runs from one edge to another edge, weakening the screen

If the crack does not fully go to the edge you may be lucky but its down to the tester at the end of the day

My opinion is no it wont pass

Pete

That’s my understanding of the law too, but I could be wrong :wink:

that magnum picture is shocking, how anyone has let the driver continue to use that truck is beyond me,

mind you looking at the number plate that says it all really, that should be pulled over and taken off the road and i hope it was.

just shocking :open_mouth:

I was hoping that Magnum pic was a photoshop to be honest.

shuttlespanker:

as can be seen, the crack is on the nearside bottom of the windscreen, the pic was taken from inside the cab

Put a brick through it, the insurance would cover it and you’d no need to worry. Or just tell 'em it cracked and got blown in.

You didn’t go for the free windscreen option I take it?

First of all I have been a windscreen technician for many years and can tell you it would not pass, the crack is bigger than a 50p piece. :bulb: you could try putting tax disc holders over it to try and disguise it. I did this a few times and they passed but it is still a defect and as such should be replaced. :open_mouth: It would be covered if you have glass insurance as it is broken and therefore you don’t need to do any further damage to it as this could count as insurance fraud!!!

My understanding of it is that as long as the swept area of the wipers is damage free in front of the driver it will be okay, looking at the picture the crack is on the nearside bottom corner, as said above put sticker over it, trucknet one/tax disc/licence id.

Unless the law has changed in the last 5 years then that crack will not pass the MOT as it now forms a seperate piece of glass even though it is not blocking the drivers eye line view.

I don’t think it will pass as the crack goes from edge to edge

I have just had a word with my son who is a car/light comm tester, he said that he would pass the glass with an advisory for the crack as it is not in the swept area of the drivers vision regardless of it going edge to edge, this seems to be a bit confusing but I think I would be inclined to give one of the test stations a call and ask the question, failing that pay the £75 excess and have a nice clean chip free screen, hope this helps. :slight_smile:

brados:
I have just had a word with my son who is a car/light comm tester, he said that he would pass the glass with an advisory for the crack as it is not in the swept area of the drivers vision regardless of it going edge to edge, this seems to be a bit confusing but I think I would be inclined to give one of the test stations a call and ask the question, failing that pay the £75 excess and have a nice clean chip free screen, hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Your son is correct and I was wrong - I have just spoken to the vehicle examiners at the Leicester VOSA testing station - the pic in the first post will pass the MOT with an advisory.

ta Rog, he will be pleased to know he got something right, and we have hepled a fellow trucker same some money :smiley:

thatnks for the help guys, will get a definitive answer on friday afternoon when it goes for MoT :smiley:

brados:
‘…we have helped a fellow trucker save some money…’

Blimey, are times that hard that the UK is making a bid for the European ■■■■■ mantle?

Blimey, are times that hard that the UK is making a bid for the European ■■■■■ mantle?

I think we took that title a while back - at least until the last batch of euro countries entered. :wink: :wink:

brados:

Happy Keith:

‘…I think we took that title a while back - at least until the last batch of euro countries entered…’

Hear that guys? Move over Borat? …what an eye/ear/mouth opener!

shuttlespanker:

KEEP THE GLASS, AND CHANGE THE REST LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not even an advisory on the windscreen at MoT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

shame it failed on an insecure side marker light and the Secondary and park brake were “low effort” :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

the service brake was fine though :confused:

oh well, lamp now secured and the parking brake has got to be looked at then a retest :cry: