Cracked windscreen

:question: :question: :question:

One of our (night) drivers had a cracked screen ( 'bout a foot long, on the drivers side) at the weekend, he phoned in to seek advice from the manager on duty.

Long story short, the vehicle/trailer were recovered to base, approx 100 miles.

Found this reference in here:-
businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … POLICY.pdf

IM 23B Glass seriously damaged and danger is caused or likely to be caused

£60 FP

Has anybody been in this position and/or been stopped by Vosa and if so, what happened :question:

And, IF the driver was stopped and fined £60 for a damaged screen, would it affect the companies OCRS :question:

Recovered for a crack in the screen? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

FFS, it gets worse. :unamused: :unamused:

Just take it back to the yard and get it fixed there. If you get stopped it just happened and you didn’t deem it enough of an emergency to stop on the hard shoulder/you were looking for a safe place to stop where you wouldn’t cause an obstruction.

redboxer850:
And, IF the driver was stopped and fined £60 for a damaged screen, would it affect the companies OCRS :question:

I think it would if a fine was involved as its a prosecution of sorts.
Yep, this country is getting beyond a joke!

redboxer850:
:?: :question: :question:

One of our (night) drivers had a cracked screen ( 'bout a foot long, on the drivers side) at the weekend, he phoned in to seek advice from the manager on duty.

Long story short, the vehicle/trailer were recovered to base, approx 100 miles.

Found this reference in here:-
businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … POLICY.pdf

IM 23B Glass seriously damaged and danger is caused or likely to be caused

£60 FP

Has anybody been in this position and/or been stopped by Vosa and if so, what happened :question:

should think the company has more money than sence, one crack doesnot seriously effect vision and only a foot long as well wtf,
i have seen trucks pass M.O.T with a crack in the screen, so long as it doesn’t come into the swept area.
i think your manager might need a reality check, truck could easily been driven back :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Not cracked, but I once came home 150mls with no windscreen !
Didn’t feel the need to phone in for advice though :unamused:

:open_mouth: :unamused: ffs bunch of fairies man up lad

Coffeeholic:
Recovered for a crack in the screen? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

For you or me maybe, but that’s the way most large companies seem to want it nowadays and a driver could leave himself open to disciplinary action for acting on his own initiative…

Mark it in the defect book “cracked en route”, phone glass co to meet you at base/book a time, RTB, VOR it, job done. OR if it’s really dodgy, phone glass co, arrange to meet fitter, replace screen, RTB (Article 12 may apply), job done. Recovery is taking the ■■■■ though.

Coffeeholic:

Just take it back to the yard and get it fixed there. If you get stopped it just happened and you didn’t deem it enough of an emergency to stop on the hard shoulder/you were looking for a safe place to stop where you wouldn’t cause an obstruction.

^ This

MADBAZ:
Mark it in the defect book “cracked en route”, phone glass co to meet you at base/book a time, RTB, VOR it, job done. OR if it’s really dodgy, phone glass co, arrange to meet fitter, replace screen, RTB (Article 12 may apply), job done. Recovery is taking the ■■■■ though.

Its almost as bizare as getting it recovered cause the ■■■■■■■ heater dosen’t work :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:

For you or me maybe, but that’s the way most large companies seem to want it nowadays and a driver could leave himself open to disciplinary action for acting on his own initiative…

i knew there was a reason i stayed away from the big companies these days :laughing:

MADBAZ:

that would be ok if it was held in with rubber, the newer bonded screens need a few hours to set !

return to base and then get it fixed would be better :wink:

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:

As you know I work for a very large company and I know the reaction I’d get from the boss if I was daft enough to phone in for advice in that situation. It wouldn’t be wait there we are going to recover you. :wink: :smiley:

I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if the crack went from edge to edge of the screen :confused:

tachograph:
I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if the crack went from edge to edge of the screen :confused:

that’s how I understand it too :wink:

tachograph:

I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if you get caught. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:

I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if you get caught. :wink:

gonzo likes this :sunglasses:

Coffeeholic:

Harry Monk:

Coffeeholic:

As you know I work for a very large company and I know the reaction I’d get from the boss if I was daft enough to phone in for advice in that situation. It wouldn’t be wait there we are going to recover you. :wink: :smiley:

To be fair, the driver was only “covering his arse”, and DID offer to drive it back. It was the manager on duty who made the call for it to be recovered.

When i was at LTC they had a windscreen need replacing when the driver was in LLansanffraid waiting to tip.They arranged for it to be replaced and once the job was done the fitter told the driver it must not move for 24 hours.Driver rang up and told them but transport manager wouldnt have any of it and made him carry on once tipped.He needed another one putting in when he got back to the yard!Didnt stop him being a know it all though.

Here’s the reasons for failure for screens on an annual test;

1. damaged or discoloured which impairs the drivers view of the road.
  2. a crack passing through the swept area and reaching two points on the edge.
  3. an obstruction that encroaches more than 40mm into swept area.
  4. damage that exposes the inner laminated screen
  5. damage that causes displacement of the surface either side that has an adverse effect on the wipers operating.

With screens and side windows, so insecure that it is likely to fall out, and damage that presents danger to occupants or other road users.

The screen has three zones of inspection,
A. 350mm wide in the swept area and centred on the centre of the steering wheel.
B. The remaining swept area. (swept area, the arc of the wipers during operation)
C. The remaining screen not covered by A or B.

Obviously more damage or discolouration can be excepted in zones C than B and so on.

In the case of a crack during driving the rule of COMMON SENSE has to come into play (something we seem to be lacking thesedays) and if the driver deems it safe to carry on until repairs, taking into account the above info, can be carried out at base, its doubtful VOSA will do anything. Remember its the drivers responsibilty to know what is legal regarding safety items on his vehicle, brakes, lights, steering, tyres etc. If you don’t know find out, simples! Franky.