Cracked windscreen

redboxer850:
To be fair, the driver was only “covering his arse”, and DID offer to drive it back. It was the manager on duty who made the call for it to be recovered.

That’s exactly my point. I’ve limped home with brake chambers disabled with cable ties, axles held up with ratchet straps, the lot but that’s working for companies where you were expected to limp it home under any circumstance, and in an age where these things were somewhat tolerated by the authorities. Now things are different, the manager made the call and so that’s what has to be done.

The driver should really have known what was usable without even talking to his boss! Or do we tell them everything thesedays (common sense again!).

Frankydobo:
The driver should really have known what was usable without even talking to his boss! Or do we tell them everything thesedays (common sense again!).

On the odd occasion I have called in, the advice I have always been given is " you’re the driver, you can see the situation, only you can make the decision".

I’ve known drivers be disciplined for making the decision to drive back with defects without contacting the office.

starfighter:
I’ve known drivers be disciplined for making the decision to drive back with defects without contacting the office.

there are defects that effect the safety of a vehicle, but a cracked windscreen is not going to effect the safety unless its been beaten with a baseball bat and you can’t see a thing, just ring in and tell them its got cracked,if the manager had told me they were getting it recovered i would of told him he was being completely stupid for a foot long crack.

it seems to me that everyone needs their bloody hands held to do anything, iv’e driven a truck back for london with no working clutch before, boss was more than greatful for saving him a couple of grand on recovery, nice bonus in my wage packet next week :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:
I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if the crack went from edge to edge of the screen :confused:

I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if you get caught. :wink:

It’s only illegal if you get caught twice. The first time “it only just happened half an hour ago officer”.

Paul

repton:

Coffeeholic:

tachograph:
I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if the crack went from edge to edge of the screen :confused:

I thought a cracked windscreen was only illegal if you get caught. :wink:

It’s only illegal if you get caught twice. The first time “it only just happened half an hour ago officer”.

Paul

Indeed. see my post at 2:33. :wink: :smiley:

What you need is for cruella to transfer to the south, the minute that recovery invoice dropped on her desk there would have been murder :laughing:

Was it as bad as this? :smiley:

crackinmywindshield0cp[1].jpg

This story is ■■■■■■■■ end of. No way would a company pay out for recovery, on a perfectly serviceable truck. :unamused:

Trev_H:
Not cracked, but I once came home 150mls with no windscreen !
Didn’t feel the need to phone in for advice though :unamused:

Hiya trev …hows things…in the old days it was such a long walk to find a phone we just got on with it.
donkey jacket on back to front open both windows(air con)and home we went. its just happened ossiffer
iam going to the nearest cafe…2 days away.
John

does seem stupid to recover a vehicle just for a crack in the screen, especially when its on the passenger side. However some large companies are forever erring on the side of caution.
TBH I would have rung and told the boss so he could arrange a windsreen fitter on my return, and it would have been sorted then.

Back in the “good” old days I have run back with various faults including…

Clutch gone at St.Omer peage…limped back to yard in Stoke

Power steering pump gone in Italy…ran back to Stoke after 3 collections plus groupage.

Wheel bearing collapse in Austria on route to Croatia…took wheel off, strapped axle up, delivered, reloaded, limped back to Dover. (Did have a arse-twitching moment going past the BAG on the Austrian/German border, luckily they were on the good side :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: )

BUT these were back in the late 80s early 90s when the authorities were a little more “relaxed” about such things. :smiley:

We run Merc Atego’s and they crack screens regular, same place same pattern. We don’t bother replacing them anymore until the week before the mot is due. Never had an issue and been doing it for years now.