Windscreen crack?

Looking for a bit of “experienced” advice here lads & lassies :smiley:

My poor old girl is up for test next month & I have had varying interpretations of the regulations regarding windscreen cracks.

3 friends /hauliers insist it will pass with a 36" horizontal crack near the bottom of the screen ■■ it’s fairly central & directly behind the wiper parking place, but still seems a big chunk to me :unamused:

What do you all think :question:

I did make the wise move to fully comp with windscreen cover a few months ago, but have no desire to pay the excess and “extras” on a magnum screen if it’s avoidable :wink:

I would say take it along to a test centre and ask their advice, failing that, organise some judicious vandalism and get it replaced on insurance.

organise some judicious vandalism

As if :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I was wondering who had experience of getting vehicles thru tests, must be a few on here that have taken them, I used to quite often when i was a full timer :wink:

Not sure about the truck test but for a car anything over 40 mm is a fail, so 36" may just be pushing it. :wink:

That was my thoughts Neil, but after a few people insisting that an HGV will pass with it, I thought it might be a good idea to ask, more out of interest ! Chances are, I will replace it anyway, just for peace of mind ( I know a bloke that’s been thru a magnum windscreen & apparently it’s a long way down :open_mouth: )

Thought it would fail if it is rubber to rubber, but am probably wrong as usual

No, you are right on that one Kate also if it is in the path of the wipers. Different rules and sizes of crack depending if it is in the path of the driver’s or passengers’ wiper

I think too that as long as it is not rubber to rubber,

ie. running to the edge of the screen and is not in line of sight then it is ok

Toytown

You should be OK, I believe that some of the regs are,

No crack from one corner edge to another,

A large chip in the drivers wiper sweep area,

If its running along the bottom of the screen but not to the edges you should pass,

I have heard that if a vehicle is going to fail, You could kick the windscreen out, After the wipers have been checked, Because a vehicle can’t be failed for not having a screen!

As I say I have heard and NOT seen this practice so it might be incorrect :laughing:

Discopete

That’s pretty much what I have been told, word for word, by a few “in the game”.

As for kicking it out after they’ve checked the wipers. … I’m sure the man in the pit would complain :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I would get it through the insurance Toytown. I hate to think how much the screen is for a Magnum.

give your local hgv test center a call find out what there pass and fail limits are,don’t cost much for a phone call,but it is for a fail and then a re-test. :wink:

And then you will get all those doom and gloom stories of the windscreen getting sucked out on the channel chuff chuff :smiley:

If you do get a screen put in it takes a while for the bonding to set, overnight is probably best.

As for kicking it out after they’ve checked the wipers. … I’m sure the man in the pit would complain

FPMSL :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
And then you will get all those doom and gloom stories of the windscreen getting sucked out on the channel chuff chuff :smiley:

That old chestnut isn’t still doing the rounds is it? Haven’t heard it for a couple or three years and thought it had gone to the Urban Myth Graveyard. :wink: :smiley:

Could you take the screen out and just wear a Flying helmet and googles. :smiley:

Now you’re talking muckles, one of those bigs white silk scarves flying out to the side would complete the picture.

I think I would prefer to change a windscreen for piece of mind though saying that I haven’t a clue how much a windsreen is for a Magnum.

I remember travelling on a coach once and the car in front kicked up a stone and smashed the widscreen completely. I have never seen so much glass in such a small area!!! The driver was lucky he didn’t lose his eye :open_mouth:

Surely a crack would make the screen weaker :question: :question:

GMANSCAN

information gleamed from here nationalwindscreens.co.uk/service/mot.htm

The MOT specifies a windscreen area within the drivers’ immediate line of sight, known as ‘Zone A’, where any crack or damage must be contained within a 10mm diameter. It also states that any combination of minor damage that seriously restricts the drivers’ view will fail the MOT.
In addition to this area of windscreen, MOT guidelines require any chip or crack within the remainder of the area swept by the wipers to be contained within a diameter of 40mm.