MOT expired ......

Ok so I’ve been driving round in my (allocated :wink: ) truck , found out today the mot expired 3 months ago :open_mouth:
You really couldn’t make it up :cry:
You could call it an admin error ,( I think I’ll just say I work for a cowboy outfit , which I think is closer to reality )

Really wish vosa would pay us a visit tbh .

Anyway time to get serious about finding somewhere else to ply my trade :slight_smile:

Doesn’t it fall down to the operator though? If you’d been stopped then I don’t think it’s something you could be held responsible for.

You could always submit an anonymous call to Vosa, but nobody likes a grass do they :laughing:

Yea there would be no come back on me but all the same it’s not good is it :unamused:
Anyone who wants to do the grassing feel free :stuck_out_tongue:

Or the inviting yourself into the next Vosa checkpoint you see “sorry, Guv, thought you waved me in” :smiley: :smiley:

Has anybody on here actually done that - no names no pack drill, just curious - just heard tales over the years of drivers being so pee’d off with their crap motors.

I came very close back in my old job. If I had a quid for every time I thought I’d been overweight (and was) and just being told to do collections, I could have retired.

My mate got sent on a collection (which should have been ADR) and bashed his bumper pulling off the yard.

Silly sod drove it back, said it wouldn’t pull over 45. Got back and just abandoned it on the yard, as it had been such an arse to drive back.

Cantankerous jobsworth that needed to load it for the following day was annoyed that he had to empty it first that he decided to weigh it as it came off.

14 tonnes.

Oh, I forgot to say, it was 12 tonner.

So he was only about 8 tonnes overweight

And he got challenged over his mpg

Makes you wonder if the MOT is 3 months past due, is the proper maintence schedules being adhered to. What is it 6 weeks for trucks and 12 weeks for trailers?

Well it’s being having inspections periodically , I can’t say they’ve been done properly tho , I’m no expert but I’m guessing it should take more than ten mins and actually involve the truck being jacked up :unamused: Done 98,000km this year and no service or even oil change :cry:
As for trailer inspections well I presume that means actually getting underneath it oh and actuallyhooking up to a unit , :exclamation:

Sad state of affairs :open_mouth:

You could kill a child.

Mikey D:
Well it’s being having inspections periodically , I can’t say they’ve been done properly tho , I’m no expert but I’m guessing it should take more than ten mins and actually involve the truck being jacked up :unamused: Done 98,000km this year and no service or even oil change :cry:
As for trailer inspections well I presume that means actually getting underneath it oh and actuallyhooking up to a unit , :exclamation:

Sad state of affairs :open_mouth:

2 Hour for a Trailer,without repair of anything
6 Hour for Lorry,without any repair (not just running with a Hammer around)

Lol I always think of the children :wink:

I do my bit , I.e. Walk round check , fill in defect book .

I used to work for an outfit who ran some rather tired elderly motors, but never bothered with the six weekly inspections.
The only time the trucks saw the inside of a service area was when they broke down, which to the amazement and intense irritation of the gaffers was frequently. :unamused:

Just out of curio’ how often do you change the oil on the average truck ?

Secretelephant:
I used to work for an outfit who ran some rather tired elderly motors, but never bothered with the six weekly inspections.
The only time the trucks saw the inside of a service area was when they broke down, which to the amazement and intense irritation of the gaffers was frequently. :unamused:

Modern trucks, EXTREMELY rarely. Believe it or not, they have something silly like 50,000 mile service intervals for the oil these days.

Most are now ‘dynamic’ intevals where it’s based on the type of driving the truck senses. My car has this too, I ignore it

waynedl:

Secretelephant:

Modern trucks, EXTREMELY rarely. Believe it or not, they have something silly like 50,000 mile service intervals for the oil these days.

Most are now ‘dynamic’ intevals where it’s based on the type of driving the truck senses. My car has this too, I ignore it

Merc Actros MP4 sales brief:
Exceptionally long service intervals ensure low lifecycle costs

At the same time, the developers have been concentrating on keeping maintenance costs down. The service intervals have now been extended to up to 150,000 kilometres, the precise figure depending on the vehicle type and its usage profile. This interval is an exceptionally good figure for an engine with exhaust gas recirculation. In reality, this means the new Actros models in many long-distance transport fleets will require just one annual maintenance call with an engine oil change.

Obviously you have not been doing your vehicle checks properly,considering unit and trailer have MOT plates attached somewhere or should have,unless the law has changed,in which case I could be wrong.

Do you fill in a OPs 13 checklist every morning or something like that?if so I’ll think you’ll find it asks in there if the vehicle/trailer has a current MOT so it isn’t “nothing to do with you” and DVSA certainly won’t let you tell them that if they pull you over.

merc0447:
Makes you wonder if the MOT is 3 months past due, is the proper maintence schedules being adhered to. What is it 6 weeks for trucks and 12 weeks for trailers?

It’s what vosa allow you to set it at all our units are under 4 years old and are service / inspected every 12 weeks . Don’t know how often trailers are done as done in Holland but never had to pull one on maintenance only unreported damage

xichrisxi:
Do you fill in a OPs 13 checklist every morning or something like that?if so I’ll think you’ll find it asks in there if the vehicle/trailer has a current MOT so it isn’t “nothing to do with you” and DVSA certainly won’t let you tell them that if they pull you over.

I’m pretty sure the op’s checklist will be no where near the standard of a ops 13 form.

I just fill in a RHA defect book ,( no tick box for valid mot :unamused: )no idea what an ops13 form is ? Tbh I’ve not noticed a mot plate , I shall have a look in a similar truck I’ll be using later see where it’s located .
Procedures seem quite lax tbh , I think the cpc holder could do with reminding what his responsibilities are . I’m not the one to do that tho :neutral_face:

I might be wrong and forgive me if i am but if the lorry is not MOTd you could be penalised for driving it aswell