any ideas

iam a new driver done a couple of shifts but is there anything better than multidrop :frowning:

Depends on your viewpoint.

I did the best (or worst) part of a year multidropping and whilst I didnā€™t particuarly enjoy it I will say that it did wonders for my reversing and manouevering skills. It was a good experience and as a new driver any experience can be hard to come by, it made getting the next job that much easier being a regular employed driver.

spot on 8wheels , i think we all have at some point done multi drop and it is great experience

IMHO multi drop job is the worst kind of job i can even imagineā€¦
I have been doing this for over 2 years as a van driverā€¦ really bad job
I hope that i will not have to do it again.

Well IMHO having been at it for more years than I care to remember (or can,t) I would say as I started on H/ball produce something like 35+ yrs ago (Hell I must be a Golden Oldie) as the saying goes bin there dun it and got the t,shirt I would say go for Container work as it is a lot easier (literally no physical work) as all you do is open 2 doors and say don,t rock too hard as you will keep me awake or if you like reading books you will get plenty of time to do that as well :wink: :wink: :wink: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Multidrop is fine once you work out the area you are covering. I did about 5 years on parcels and it becomes easierer the longer you do it.

Although not Multidrop as such, I much rather prefer my new job when I have 4 or 5 collections and deliveries in the day. Our groupage department is not badly organised and sometimes we get regular collections.

One hitters are ok if the booking time is reasonable but fast multidrop is dictated by getting your finger out at the last one :stuck_out_tongue:

being a new driver myself, i dont multi drops too much at the moment.

Its taught me some basic planning of the route.
Working with different vehicles has also taught me the different latches, straps, hooks, curtain sides, tail lifts ā€¦ the list goes on.

On the last 2 shifts i did, the most boring part by a mile was the motorway runs from the depot to get to my area. Once I got there, darting around the streets was ok.

The reversing and turning is a real confidence booster when you manage somethign difficult and drive away without hitting anything ! :slight_smile:

Wheel Nut:
Although not Multidrop as such, I much rather prefer my new job when I have 4 or 5 collections and deliveries in the day. Our groupage department is not badly organised and sometimes we get regular collections.

Mega multi dops are hard work, but you do learn quick.
I used to do multidrops similar to Wheel Nut. That is probally a maxiumum of 10 drops destined for a large Geographical area. I thought it was great, rarely had times for delivery or having to wait to get onto a bay.
It was get to an area get them drops done and then phone in for collections.
Loved the Independance, the different routes and quick tips or people that made you tea when you got there.

Anyway thatā€™s trip down memory lane, :laughing: now back to your question Stormin.

Whatā€™s better than multidrops?

Well really youā€™ve goto try things and find out what work suits you and what ever you do your first shifts are going to be hard work.

Muckles I haven,t asked a question, what I did was answer the one that was asked by someone else and gave my opinion and as I always say each to their own,cos what suits some won,t suit others and I can assure you multi- drops were definitely not my interest. :unamused: :unamused:

As I have said in previous posts I have done my share of the hard work starting with handball loads, roping & sheeting etc. in the winter and the rain and snow so I now want an easy time to take me to my retirement day. :laughing: :laughing: :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :wink:

I want to enjoy my retirement and old age and look back at the good times I had over the years and not be in pain from arthritis (which I have anyway) and want to enjoy my time with my family and grandchildren. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I must be getting old as I have just answered a question on behalf of someone else (who incidentally has my user name ā€œstorminā€ from another site) I am sorry ā€œMucklesā€ looks like the grey matter is disappearing fast so had better go now as ā€œmatronā€ sez it is time for cocoa & lights out :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEJ:
I must be getting old as I have just answered a question on behalf of someone else (who incidentally has my user name ā€œstorminā€ from another site) I am sorry ā€œMucklesā€ looks like the grey matter is disappearing fast so had better go now as ā€œmatronā€ sez it is time for cocoa & lights out :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:laughing: Well you had me wondering if I was going slightly bonkers there for a moment. :open_mouth: :laughing:

But I reckon after doing your fair share of handball and roping and sheeting no doubt. :smiley: You can be forgiven the odd senior moment :wink:

the wonder of driving is the variety if you want to adapt and learn new things the oppurtunities are there dont apply for jobs DONT get jobs :laughing: APPLY

It comes to us all ā€œmucklesā€ these senior moments, I have em now & again and won,t be the last either no doubt. :blush: :blush: :blush: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Won,t be the first time I have left our depot and been trundling down the road to find I should have been going the opposite way :blush: :blush: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

I remember the one at the place I worked at a few years ago when 2 agency drivers where given a ā€œCarlisleā€ C/O one @ 5pm and the other @ 6pm both to C/O with the Glasgow trunks (you can guess whats coming) 6pm man arrives and duly does said C/O with 5pm driver not thinking to ask ā€œare you the Glasgow driverā€ so he then has break and trundles back to home depot only to find 5pm driver waiting to greet him with "the supervisor is going ape**** " as the 2 scotch lads are still on Carlisle waiting for us :unamused: :unamused: :blush: :blush:

I don,t blame the agency lads for this as they were newbies but it was the S/Visor :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: who should have told em what to do i.e. check your paperwork to see you have got the right trailer / destination. :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

arrgh multidrop Id do anything but that, when I lived in Glasgow the agency I worked for once rang up with " got a days work out of securicor in bellshill doin multidrop its only 15 drops around lanarkshire .fair enuff says I :slight_smile:

gets there to find out that its 50 drops and 40 collections arrgh think I managed taking 30 odd drops back as I was running out of driving time

the job Iā€™m doing for Manpower on a 3 month contract to Network Rail suits me down to the ground, 1 night out a week and plenty of overtime and lots of hanging round drinking coffee/ reading

i enjoy multi drops do any thing up to 18 drops in a week well 3 days most of um in some sort of area TM or planner think fit looking at thier small map, they are all close together look start in Paris Garnor and last drop koblenz swiss you should be empty wed morning :smiling_imp:
but musā€™nt grumble its all good fun

thanx guys for some info the next time the agency phones i will b asking for some other jobs rather than multi as i dont think iam suited to it .its hard to get into the driving as i am in full time employment at the moment .but my heart is still into class2 and here,s hoping i can get a job driving .so thanx again for your experiences and wish you all a very happy new year :wink:

Iā€™d be a bit carefull of telling agencies what work you want when youā€™ve only just started, especially after Christmas.
If you want work then you need to take whatsā€™ given until you get established.

The alternative might be to get in with a company that doesnā€™t do multi-drop.

What type of work do you think would suit you?
Tramping?
Trunking?

hi muckles trunking would suit me .but i dont know if you get trunking work with class 2 i would have to get on to my agency to see what kind of work they can give me other than multi one of the guys on the forum said why not try container work .do you know what that consists of .cheers mate

Iā€™m not sure what trucking or even container work youā€™d get with class 2.
You need to get a C+E licence really

Never done container work, but form what Iā€™ve seen it seems wait for hours to get a box on, get to delivery point, Open doors, back onto bay, get into can, goto sleep.

Personally that would bore me to tears, I like being out there loading and unloading and meeting people, but different things suit different people. :wink:

Thatā€™s Deep Sea Containers Muckles, Short Sea is very different - less waiting around and a lot more hands-on. Itā€™s basically all C+E work, though,

There are a few rigids on Deep Sea Boxes, but not many - usually odd ones run by small subbies. The tips wonā€™t be so long by their nature - you can only load 20ft light boxes - but the dock queues at the big Deep Sea Terminals are the same.

For rigid trunking type work, try the parcel firms. Some of them run rigids to mop up wonā€™t fit on their main trailers to the hub. Of thereā€™s always Royal Mail. There are also your clothing retailers and the like as well, although thatā€™s mostly wagon and drag which is also an artic licence these days.

Bottom line is that a) most rigid work is multidrop and local, and b) as has been said before, with little to no experience and the slack time of year coming up, you really arenā€™t in a position to pick and choose. Youā€™re at the bottom of a new career ladder and have to do the crap to get climbing, just as we all had to. :wink:

Thereā€™s always skips or tippers, I guess, but that wonā€™t be around so much on agency as they tend to have their own casual staff to fall back on. Try ringing local firms and letting them know when youā€™re available - numbers are in the phone book. :bulb: