Multi-drop driving - why people don't like it?

Evening all :slight_smile:

I know multi drop is loads of collection ect,

but why do people not like doing it ? ive seen a few places / people say they don’t like multi drop?

Is there a specific reason?

Because there is physical work involved most of the time haha

Smoggie89:
Because there is physical work involved most of the time haha

ah i see, haha

That’s my opinion of why anyways lol , I don’t mind doing it, keeps you on ya toes and free workout , I don’t do it anymore so got to pay for the privilege lol

I used to do it and loved it. It’s a very marmite job. You’re quite often chased for eta’s which some don’t like. Some don’t like it because you have to think and plan routes and be able to adapt quickly as nothings set in stone.
Some people like containers and RDC work but I’d be bored stiff sitting around hours on end staring at the inside of a cab or waiting room

I think the main reason drivers don’t like it is that it typically involves a bit of hand-balling, or at least a significant amount of interaction with the load with pump truck etc. There is generally very little waiting around, which suits some (me included) although others actually enjoy sitting watching the world go by.

Roymondo:
I think the main reason drivers don’t like it is that it typically involves a bit of hand-balling, or at least a significant amount of interaction with the load with pump truck etc. There is generally very little waiting around, which suits some (me included) although others actually enjoy sitting watching the world go by.

I hate been sat around! one reason why im leaving my job now, and doing work for the sake of work, that dosent need doing for 3 months+

i would mind multi drop by the sounds of it :slight_smile:

saying that i wouldn’t turn my nose my up at any work when i start! unless of course its silly £ p/h

is there an average p/h so to speak? so i don’t get ripped off

In general for me if an early drop goes pear shaped due to accidents, incidents or other delays, then the rest of your day is pretty much screwed, chasing your tail trying to catch up, not a problem on hourly pay, but i’ m salaried. Which is why after 10 years on and off i have had enough of it and i’ m on the lookout for a boring less stressful trunking job.

Some love it and spend donkeys years at it, others including me hate it with a passion.

I take me hat off to the boys and girls on the parcels game, upwards of 70 drops and quite possibly 30 collections after and interspersed, i couldn’t do it i’d be stressed to hell and back, especially with some pen pusher on the radio/phone every 20 minutes trying to egg you on…bad enough on some general pallet carrier type operations for smarmy know all pen pushers.

The only good thing is that it tends to be a fairly normal working week, at least in days and hours worked, not usually well paid though.

I work for a major parcel carrier and do multi-drop in a 7.5t,I started on 3.5t vans and doing around 70-85 stops a day,including collections,my personal record was 120 stops,that was a tiring day :unamused:
On the 7.5t I do about 15-25 drops depending on volume/distance.Not one for sitting around waiting and a free workout too,don’t mind the lifting and shifting,if there is no help at the address with heavy objects they simply stay on and I take them back to the depot.We don’t get any hassle to deliver,just load your truck and go.
The hours suit me,I get a lie in,start at 09.30 and finish around 19.15 to 20.00 depends how the day goes,beats getting up at 05.30 for a 07.00 start.Mon-Fri with Sat as o/t if I want it.
Picked up £30 last year so happy days :laughing:

I still do it from time to time just to keep my hand in. When I got made up to full time HGV driver with my own motor (hate sharing - not that I won’t drive anything, just hate idiots abusing and bumping something that I’m going to have for a few years) I agreed to go wherever my motor is needed. Which tends to be bulkier, palletised drops, due to the payload, and the fact that most of the 7.5s we have don’t have taillifts.

So now and again, I’ll get them to chuck a few extra bulky hotel drops around Heathrow, and then I’ll go off and do my old Gatwick/Croydon/Crawley 2 day run from my 7.5 days.

I find I get a lot less calls from the office on a 2 day run, and basically I can manage my 2 days to suit myself.

My only grumble is that I get a run list the day before, but sometimes I can be back around lunchtime, depending on where I’ve been and how many drops.

But our place takes orders up until 6pm, so my actual run can sometimes bear no resemblance to the one I thought I was going to do, and the nature of our business means that I can drive for an hour or so sometimes in an HGV to deliver an item less than a kilo in weight. And because we run vans, 7.5s, 12s and 18s, the software they use to plan the routes doesn’t take into account height, width and weight restrictions.

Basically because people are lazy fkers,to put it simply!
We have agency guys come into out place and when they are given their run come out with “I don’t do multi drop”…so they get sent on their merry way and have got up for nothing!

And people wonder why there is no jobs!

Some good reads there guys thanks :slight_smile:

Why work hard when you can have it easy? Why would I want to chase my arse all week rushing about to try and get all the drops off just to be given more drops when they realize I can do the job.
They add more to the run, you end up rushing more and then risk more points on your licence etc.
Trunking work is far easier, it gets there when it gets there and I’m not going to be rushing back and forth with some heavy handball.

There is a knack to multi drop and that is to stand your ground, stick to speed limits as best you can, get your breaks in fully and enjoy the job wheras if you let them push you and keep adding work on then the job becomes a chore. Never be afraid to take drops back because they will soon learn not to pile them on you if you do.

Horses for courses and multi drop is where a lot of class one men started out, most of them would rather not go back to it.

Truckbling:
Why work hard when you can have it easy? Why would I want to chase my arse all week rushing about to try and get all the drops off just to be given more drops when they realize I can do the job.
They add more to the run, you end up rushing more and then risk more points on your licence etc.
Trunking work is far easier, it gets there when it gets there and I’m not going to be rushing back and forth with some heavy handball.

There is a knack to multi drop and that is to stand your ground, stick to speed limits as best you can, get your breaks in fully and enjoy the job wheras if you let them push you and keep adding work on then the job becomes a chore. Never be afraid to take drops back because they will soon learn not to pile them on you if you do.

Horses for courses and multi drop is where a lot of class one men started out, most of them would rather not go back to it.

I totally agree with you on this.Ive been doing multidrops for 7 1/2 years and had enough.Your not appreciated for what you do and I could do 2 or 3 runs a day carrying 14 plts at a time.Ive upraded to class 1 now and wouldn’t mind doing the trunking.I think if I went any further in the driving game I would look at wide loads :sunglasses:

I wouldn’t touch it with a bargepole, just personal preference :slight_smile:

Handballing off the lorry is one thing, but why should we carry upstairs, downstairs, put your back out stacking stuff 10 feet high etc? All while the customer stands and watches. :imp:

Kerb side delivery only is the saying !

I avoid it if I can. A common problem, particularly when delivering in town, is running up against the 6-hour working time limit, because deliveries take too long and there’s nowhere for miles that will let you stop for 30 mins. There are certain companies around London that I refuse to work for now for this reason. I just find trunking more fun; there’s usually less stress, you get to sit and enjoy the countryside, listen to the radio, sometimes read or write while being unloaded (sometimes not). The main reason I did my class 1 was to get more of this kind of work and much less rushing round town.

I hate it. I hate chasing my tail all day, getting calls from whatever TM I’m assigned too demanding to know where I am (they can see where I am, the wagon is tracked). I hate trying to squeeze into places that are clearly not designed for 18 tonners and up. I hate having to argue with traffic in and around the drops because no zb will let you manuviour into position. I hate struggling with cages that have been trashed and incorrectly loaded. Who in their right mind thought it was a bright idea to load fizzy pop on the top of a cage making it top heavy…

Thinking about it, that is mostly shop work. I did some work for a lincoln Pallex partner on a multidrop. I was dreading it, turns out it was quite easy. Aside from the first drop which had to be broken down on the back of the truck the rest were a case of pulling the curtain back and forking the pallets off. Had two drops left but they had clocked off early as it was Friday, called the TM, he said just bring them back and they’ll stick on tomorrows run.

Anything more than 10 drops in a day and I’m not doing it. My favourite job is one for a local company that does foodstuffs. I would drive from Lincoln to the Dartford crossing then to Erith and then back home again. My idea of fun that run is!