Any good ideas?

Has anyone got any good ideas of how to get a liquid out of a 5 gallon drum without the majority of it running down the side when you’re pouring it :question: .

I did try putting an old sink bowl underneath it but it runs too random to catch it.

I haven’t yet managed to source a spout big enough to fit on the top.

If I put the top drum higher than the container I want it to go into, get a pipe and ■■■■ the liquid through it, will gravity self pull the liquid through - albeit after a mouthful of said liquid :laughing: - or do I need a pump of some kind :question: .

Your suggestions eagerly awaited :slight_smile: .

ROB U NEED A SYPHON PUMP FOR ABOUT £5 OR AS U SAY LET GRAVITY DO THE WORK U DONT HAVE TO GET A MOUTHFUL IF U BLOW INTO THE PIPE FIRST

Hey rob…if its diesel…i`ll have 10 gallons a week…if its petrol…i only want 5…
ask any woman how she avoids getting a mouthful…and she will tell you…blow first… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:
If I put the top drum higher than the container I want it to go into, get a pipe and ■■■■ the liquid through it, will gravity self pull the liquid through - albeit after a mouthful of said liquid :laughing: - or do I need a pump of some kind :question: .

Yes, do it that way but you don’t need to ■■■■. Put as much of the transfer pipe into the upper drum below the surface level taking care not to cover the end.
Then put your thumb over the end to seal it and bring it down to the lower drum neck. Then release your thumb. The liquid should then flow, I think. The greater the height difference you can manage the better.

If it’s diesel you really don’t want to be sucking. Surefire route to mouth cancer. Doesn’t affect me because of all that stuff already in my veins - but you being a young bloke and all… :unamused: :unamused:

I do hope I’m not aiding and abetting anything dodgy here, wouldn’t like to answer the bell one day to a gendarme with a eurowarrant in his hand :frowning: .

Salut, David.

rob,
are you one of these that wants to be caught?
:unamused:

Try pouring it with the outlet as high as possible , i.e. if you see the top of the drum as a clockface when its tipped for pouring the outlet should be at 12 oclock rather than six. That way you can avoid the liquid blocking the outlet completly, which is what gives the random pour as the air rushes in when it gets the chance.

Rob - but an old fuel pump out of a Jaguar. ( submersible)

Attach a long hose pipe, fix it to a 12v battery and drop it in your drum.

Forget having a gob-full of fuel :open_mouth:

My Range Rover loves being topped up like this, with all the free fuel out of scrap motors.

BTW - insulate all connections and fit a switch = no sparks :exclamation:

Cheers,

NIALL . ( 12 to the gallon for nought :smiling_imp: )

paul b:
rob,

Isn’t it amazing how people jump to conclusions when they know [zb] all.

Mind you own [zb] business for a change.

[zb].

Carlbrum:
BLOW INTO THE PIPE FIRST

truckyboy:
…blow first…

I don’t follow :question: . Surely blowing through the pipe will just make the liquid bubble at the other end so how does this stop me getting a gob full :question:

Spardo:
Yes, do it that way but you don’t need to ■■■■. Put as much of the transfer pipe into the upper drum below the surface level taking care not to cover the end.
Then put your thumb over the end to seal it and bring it down to the lower drum neck. Then release your thumb. The liquid should then flow, I think. The greater the height difference you can manage the better.

No that’s a good idea. I like that and shall try that way, cheers. :slight_smile:

I do hope I’m not aiding and abetting anything dodgy here

No, not in the slightest.

petrock:
Try pouring it with the outlet as high as possible , i.e. if you see the top of the drum as a clockface when its tipped for pouring the outlet should be at 12 oclock rather than six. That way you can avoid the liquid blocking the outlet completly, which is what gives the random pour as the air rushes in when it gets the chance.

Yep, I follow you, but surely all that would happen if you did this would be the liquid would run across the top of the container, over the rim and down the other side :question: . Maybe I’ve missed something :question:

Niall:
Rob - but an old fuel pump out of a Jaguar. ( submersible)

Attach a long hose pipe, fix it to a 12v battery and drop it in your drum.

Forget having a gob-full of fuel

My Range Rover loves being topped up like this, with all the free fuel out of scrap motors.

BTW - insulate all connections and fit a switch = no sparks

Cheers,

NIALL . ( 12 to the gallon for nought )

:smiling_imp: A good and thorough idea for sure, but a bit drastic for my limited use. I wonder what makes me think you’ve served for Her Majesty at some point … :question: :smiling_imp: .

:slight_smile:

Have a look at this Rob

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYPHON-PUMP-CAN-V … dZViewItem

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

nianiamh:
Have a look at this Rob

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYPHON-PUMP-CAN-V … dZViewItem

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :sunglasses:

:bulb: :sunglasses: Oooh, that’s pretty nifty, think I might be having one of those :slight_smile: :sunglasses: .

Are you saying I used to be a Customs Officer Rob ?
Or a Policeman ?
Or a Soldier?
Or in the Air Force ?
Or the Navy?

Is this what "Serving For Her Majesty " means ?

The only time I have been near our Monarch is with one of her servants ( large wig ) saying “Take Him Away”

Nice holiday though, shame about the food and 1 hours “Exercise” a day :laughing:

Cheers,

NIALL. ( Now Free :smiley: )

Rob K:

paul b:
rob,

Isn’t it amazing how people jump to conclusions when they know [zb] all.

Mind you own [zb] business for a change.

[zb].

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
look at your posts through the last two or three weeks, not to difficult to work out or possibly get the wrong idea?
but hey, it’s your neck, not mind :unamused:

All these ideas :smiley: must have had a miss spent youth :laughing:

Rob K:
Has anyone got any good ideas of how to get a liquid out of a 5 gallon drum without the majority of it running down the side when you’re pouring it :question: .
:slight_smile: .

In answer to that question, just turn the drum over. if it is a round drum you need the outlet at the top, if its a square drum turn it on its side before pouring.

There are a lot of dodgy folks on here Rob with Jag fuel pumps and bits of pipe in their cars :stuck_out_tongue:

if your doing it at work or where you have access to an air line then put the full tank higher than the tank you want to fill, put a tube of some sort from one to the other, get some rag in the hole of the full tank and put air line into hole too, try to seal as best as you can, blow air into hole and this will force the fluid through the pipe, do not apply immediate high pressure as this could lead to tank rupture - feed air in slowly.

Rob K:

I did try putting an old sink bowl underneath it but it runs too random to catch it.

:open_mouth: How have you done all the Years?

I wondered where Mr Bean was now Fred :laughing: :laughing:

" Sehr Gut " Hee Hee

Cheers

Niall.

fred Kanka:

Rob K:

:open_mouth: How have you done all the Years?

Ah but it doesn’t have a tap on it. Just a screw lid, that’s all, so that method would be impossible.