Another Wanabee

Hi all

after being without work for a couple of months (engineering - dead, i know) i am contemplating taking on some LGV training.
I have read through the forum and from what i can tell there aint much work about but the situation is improving. I am no spring chicken (40+) and would like your opinions as to what is the quickest and best training to get (if any) i.e rigid or artic?

Thanks in advance.

. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Welcome bobblyboo :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
All the LGV TRAINING TIPS, including the Recommended LGV training schools that have been recommended by members, can be accessed by clicking on the link in my signature :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
The link includes THE INITIAL DRIVER CPC which starts on 10 Sept 2009.

bobblyboo:
I am no spring chicken (40+)

You should have a C1 on your licence so the initial driver cpc modules 2 & 4 are not for you.

bobblyboo:
what is the quickest and best training to get (if any) i.e rigid or artic?

Rigid ‘C’ must be passed before doing artic ‘C+E’.

THE DRIVER SHORTAGE IS AN ADVERTISING MYTH - Generally more drivers than jobs in the UK
However, many newbies on this site have recently secured permanent full time employment :smiley:

Forum with some useful stuff and Forum for questions on drivers hours

Hello there bobblyboo…

Welcome to trucknet…! Loads of usefull stuff for you to browse… Just dont ask me anything…! :wink:

Thanks for the welcome, and the replies. I will look around to see what courses are available in my area (Cannock Chase). My mate next door is a trucker, he reckons they send drivers home as the work has dropped off, he never seems to miss a shift. I will enjoy it when i ask about availability of jobs so they can give it the ’ massive shortage’ story. I have noticed a few more LGV jobs turning up, mostly the Fradley area. I am sure things will pick up shortly and my thinking is, better to have as many irons in the fire as possible. Will let you know how i get on.

Welcome mate.

Stay in with your mate next door most jobs are word of mouth and who you know etc, he could get you a leg in at his place. Even if it’s not what you really want to do it’s experience…

Good luck.

I would suggest ontacting the local hauliers to find out the employment situation I.E. any difficulty recruiting drivers.When I was laid off in my 40s I tried LGV work but no exp.=no job.I then did bus test and been employed for the last 10 years.Training will cost you about £2500 .no guarantee of a pass then no guarantee of a job.I thought that things were going to get better.

1stly Many Welcomes bobblyboo This site and its users really are great at both helping with general enquires right down to pre test nerves!

bobblyboo:
I will look around to see what courses are available in my area (Cannock Chase).

IF you do go thru with the training, i can only endorse Grants of Cannock. Recently done my C and will be going back to them for C+E

Once again welcome and good luck

Thanks for the tips. Any one got feed back for Transed (Stoke i think). I notice they are doing Cat C, Cat C+E combined with ‘free’ ADR. As a newbie, would it be worth taking this type of course. I will be contacting Grants of Cannock this week to see what they offer.

bobblyboo:
Any one got feed back for Transed (Stoke i think).

transedtraining.co.uk/index.php
Hmmm… website needs updating and their bit about the 10 day DSA booking cancellation is incorrect

The ADR course is likely to be the smallest they do…

Sorry, cannot find any other member who has posted anything about them…