Another one in trouble?

Just had it confirmed (all the drivers and staff have been informed), that Clugston in Scunthorpe have lost most of their bulk powder contract. Heidleberg Cement (Castle cement) who now own Hanson are putting 19 trucks into Scunthorpe to do the work themselves. There is a positive though, all the drivers will be given the opportunity to transfer to Castle. But this means Clugston will only operate 5 trucks as a subbie for Castle, with 1 truck working elsewhere and they will be parking up the other 18 trucks and tanks… sad days for another established family firm. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Castle Cement (Heildelburg) is a good company to work for…They are lucky drivers.

Deepinvet:
Castle Cement (Heildelburg) is a good company to work for…They are lucky drivers.

what makes you say that :question:

I’m sure thats the case however, when a company like Clugstons, is eased out after 30 odd years, its always sad times. I wish all the drivers well, but i’m sure they would rather be working for Clugstons on a daily basis (job and knock, home every night), rather than tramping around between Scun, Ketton, Clitheroe etc;
I know Castle are paid slightly more, but the working conditions and the management are no where near as good and the tackle at Clugstons is way better.

tiger65:
I’m sure thats the case however, when a company like Clugstons, is eased out after 30 odd years, its always sad times. I wish all the drivers well, but i’m sure they would rather be working for Clugstons on a daily basis (job and knock, home every night), rather than tramping around between Scun, Ketton, Clitheroe etc;
I know Castle are paid slightly more, but the working conditions and the management are no where near as good and the tackle at Clugstons is way better.

to be fair tiger we dont tramp about all week. the work is dished out so that it evens up ( eventually). ive done only two possibly three nights outs since xmas.
i agree shame about clugsons though, drivers always seemed to be a happy bunch but this is the first ive heard about it tbh.
i know a few of our lads (ketton) have been taking slag from scunny up to teesport and stocking up there silos. ive only been into scunny a few times , same with purfleet and port talbot but that does,nt bother me as i like to get about.
be interesting to see what contract the drivers are offered though.
there was a big rejigging at our place office staff wise with redundancies and new positions etc and people having to apply for there own jobs on new (hansons) contracts with less money.

what makes you say that

I work for Heidelburg running out of Whittlesey…I’ve worked for a few companies in the past and these are by far the best firm that i’ve ever worked for.
But Castle might be on different contracts, although the drivers i’ve spoken to all seem pretty happy with their lot…But you know what drivers are like :confused: :confused:

Dave
While i agree with most of what you say, i can see the Cluggy boys (as subbies), doing a bit more tramping to remain flexible.
It came as a shock to the drivers too, they only found out at a meeting at 5.30pm Thurs evening, so they are all still a little shell shocked. I agree that they were always fairly happy up at Scunny, thats because they had good working conditions. I know Castle are a decent company to work for (i have subbied for them myself), but i think the change in culture will be a bit of a shock for the Scunny boys. You have to admit though some of the management at your place are something to behold!!! something about left hand and right hand sometimes :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused:

Hi,Do any of you fellas know where that leaves Damac of Goole then,theyve been subbying for Castle out of scunny so is theyre still gona be enough work for them or are they getting squeezed out of the picture again now? Bad times for the cluggy lads but atleast they are getting an offer of employment with Castle,not the same as working for cluggys but it is a job that puts food on table,None of us like change,good luck to the lads theyre a good bunch!

Volvofh16:
Hi,Do any of you fellas know where that leaves Damac of Goole then,theyve been subbying for Castle out of scunny so is theyre still gona be enough work for them or are they getting squeezed out of the picture again now? Bad times for the cluggy lads but atleast they are getting an offer of employment with Castle,not the same as working for cluggys but it is a job that puts food on table,None of us like change,good luck to the lads theyre a good bunch!

i dont quite know what the score is with damac and castle but it is not the normal subcontractor arrangement, they are more closely connected i think. and as far as i know castle have leased the goole silos off damac for a very long term.
i do know they have an arrangement which is quite recent to deliver x amount of tons to the south west country.
a damac management car has just been replaced with a new one and the old car is now a pool car at out place so as i said the damac arrangement is definetly more close knit and probably safer for it.

tiger65:
Dave
You have to admit though some of the management at your place are something to behold!!! something about left hand and right hand sometimes :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth: :confused:

yes totally agree :slight_smile:

“Dave wrote” i dont quite know what the score is with damac and castle but it is not the normal subcontractor arrangement, they are more closely connected i think. and as far as i know castle have leased the goole silos off damac for a very long term.

[/quote]
Damac have a contract with Castle which expires in Dec 2010, and by all accounts Castle can’t wait till that date arrives. There has been some serious arguments about the silos at Goole, something about costs and use etc; i think the connection is one of mutual mis -trust!! :frowning: :frowning: