Castle Cement....

Does anyone drive for Hanson Group out of Clitheroe?

Which Agency supplies their temp drivers?

Wouldn’t mind getting on their books.

Any help appreciated

After my induction there a few weeks ago, finally got in there today for the first time, and poss the last…

Had a good day, one to Stockport, back reload and then one to Burslem, did all the paperwork etc…

Got back to Padeswood to be told to drop the trailer as unit needed tomoz on a tanker…

Parked up after fuelling, removed card etc, left cab clean, wandered to office to hand in bits of paperwork.

For the guy there to tell me they are mothballing that plant, with a load of jobs going, was told the same by a driver there, seems they were all told today…

Any one on here work for Castle Cement who can confirm all this…

If true I am gutted, been waiting for a long time to get in there, to get the carrot then its taken away is galling… :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

whilst i dont know for sure , i certainly have,nt heard nothing today and i would very much doubt it anyhow.
but heres what i do know.
padeswoods new kiln is the most up to date in europe, why mothball it ■■ they might mean mothballing 1 kiln but not all, and certainly not the whole plant
our depot has mothballed 1 kiln but we are still using another .
we (the company) did have voluntary redundancies before christmas and there was talk of a few more recently but on the basis that we did not take a payrise we would be ok.
padeswood is busy this week.fact
4 of our drivers have gone up there for the week to help out with moving stock loads down to avonmouth and if you was there then that tallies up with them being busy.

work has dropped off for all the cement companies but that is to be expected.
hopefully them guys where just winding you up.
i will find out for sure tomorrow.

Cheers Dave…

What I was told about the kiln/s was that they were going to be fired up twice a year, more if things pick up…

The general air was gloomy there this afternoon, cant see two seperate people on a wind up of a new agency driver, but what do i know :confused:

Be interesting to see what you can find out tomorrow , PM me if you dont it want it broadcast etc.

Castle are not part of Heidelburg are they ? Heidelburg own Hansons and a few others and are in deep ■■■■. One of the biggest cement shifters in Germany.

The company, whose share price rose by more than 17 per cent on Thursday, said it would now “continue to pursue its two to three-year programme of divesting non-strategic business units”.

I should mention that I worked for CRW powder line and a large part of our work was shifting cement for Hanson and others, and that started dying off last year when he topped himself.

Oops, I just found that they are part of Heidelburg (or they were in 2004), sorry mate.

Yes mate paperwork (On the bags at least) was Hansons, and Heidelberg is written on all the trailers under Castle Cement…

See what Dave can find out today…

Its in the local papers today…

welshflyer:
Its in the local papers today…

And here…

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/8138028.stm

shows what i knew last night.nowt. :blush:

got told this morning that whilst its not closing the padeswood plant is going to be run on tickover only untill things pick up. have been told that from the distribution side 25 ish drivers will be laid off and the vehicle workshops will close.

the slag depot at teesport is going to be mothballed with 10 driver redundancies and the remaining drivers are to move to the castle depot at middlesborough.

also the civil and marine depot at llanwern is also going to be mothballed.

incedentally, castle cement was/is owned by heildleberg cement. one of the worlds biggest cement and aggregate ccompanies.
heildleberg bought hansons for 8 billion and then for some reason merged the hansons cement side of the business with castle cement.
it meands that in the uk hansons cement is the same size as lafarge. sounds good but it aint really.
in my eyes as castle cement we were pretty much an independant cement company and delivered to lafarge and cemex sites as well as hansons etc…

now however we dont do any cemex or lafarge as the last place they want cement off is a main rival.
and believe it or not there are many ppeople who dont like hansons full stop.
i dont know why , but that seems to be the general concentius

BUGGER!! :imp:

I work in the Heildelburg Group (Hansons) and we seem to be very busy at the moment, I was only speaking to a chap in Kings Dyke brickworks today and he said they were “Flat out”, so make of it want you want…Although saying that we have mothballed a couple of brickworks, due to the fact we have just openend a new factory at Measham which can produce 30,000 bricks an hour :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Deepinvet:
I work in the Heildelburg Group (Hansons) and we seem to be very busy at the moment, I was only speaking to a chap in Kings Dyke brickworks today and he said they were “Flat out”, so make of it want you want…Although saying that we have mothballed a couple of brickworks, due to the fact we have just openend a new factory at Measham which can produce 30,000 bricks an hour :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I know the Measham site v well, I tip there (sand) quite often.
We too are quite busy, I have had some of my best weeks in the last 18 months recently.

Admittedly some of it was coming to your neck of the woods to do the spalding - eye bypass but my hours are getting longer.

Well I dunno…

Agency rang me yesterday to ask if I could do 5 days next for Castle Cement, as they are busy, methinks more its holiday time, but even so its work.

Will try to see if there is any being said there thats now in black and white, Agency seem to think that the redundencies are now under review :unamused: :unamused:

There has been 20 redundancys at Castle cement Ketton :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: There WILL be more amongst the Heildelburg group :cry: :cry: :cry: …Watch this space

Some hanson drivers are of the opinion that work is being given to outside contractors who will do it cheaper than franchisee’s are paid.

Therefore causing franchised trucks to be sold or jsut give up the job as earnings are less than outgoings.

shortfatbaldbloke:
Some hanson drivers are of the opinion that work is being given to outside contractors who will do it cheaper than franchisee’s are paid.

Therefore causing franchised trucks to be sold or jsut give up the job as earnings are less than outgoings.

Yeah Ive heard that Hansons are giving OD’s a hard time at the mo, if they have 2 trucks sell one etc, dunno how true it is (Sod of Mods we are having a chat) I have heard another rumour about Castle today as well, but will find out this week as in there all week.

I think with Castle being taken over by Hansons things had to change, Castle are too perfect, and I dont mean that nastily, but Castle will spend money on making sure things are 100% kosher, They use ATS, new tyres all round, changeing tyres at 4mm etc, any minor problem, truck off road straight away to fix it… Hansons want to save money, and they will find every way possible to do it, Sad, very sad. Castle was a firm I had set my heart on getting into for the last 15 years of my career, gutted to think that Hansons can and will push it to the ground…

Ashamed to admit that my Uncle used to work for Hansons before he retired, he was MD at ARC when Hansons took em over… :cry:

I’m not an OD but the company I work for have a few trucks in Hansons, I really enjoy the work but there is no organisation whatsoever.

They are health and safety mad, Having a right crack down, But it seems to be only when It suits.

I could see myself working there for the rest of my driving days but I doubt they will be around that long :frowning:

It’s correct that the workshop is closing in padeswood, 2 lads in there have been told they can keep their jobs if they want to do permanent nights at the preston depot (clitheroe maybe■■?) & they live in north wales…
Rumour also has it the newer kiln will be stripped down & shipped abroad :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Unbelievable after all the hassle they had to get it built :confused: :confused: :confused:

GAV LAA:
It’s correct that the workshop is closing in padeswood, 2 lads in there have been told they can keep their jobs if they want to do permanent nights at the preston depot (clitheroe maybe■■?) & they live in north wales…
Rumour also has it the newer kiln will be stripped down & shipped abroad :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Unbelievable after all the hassle they had to get it built :confused: :confused: :confused:

The rumour about the kiln is the one I heard today :cry: :cry: :cry: