An Interview

Went for an interview today for a Class1 job, not many about full time that is. Had a good chat with the TM and when he mentioned that 'm probably erning a lot more on the agency I started to have dark thoughts. Then it hit me, £7.77ph on days and £9ish after 7pm, along with a weekly bonus of not much and a early shift allowance of £5, nights out money @£22. From what I gathered nights out and long hours, not that I’m afraid of working hard but at least pay me a decent wage for pittys sake.To be frank I would like a full time job but not at that money, I was getting the same amount 2 years ago driving a sprinter for Sainsburys. For crying out loud, we drive 44T waggons worth thousands along with some seriously valuable goods and that’s all we’re worth paying. Being honest I might as well stick with the agency till things (with luck) improve.

Maybe better the devil you know if you are getting plenty of work, but possibly a nice fresh start for anyone out of work?

true, they did say others are being interviewed so with luck someone who is desperate for a wage will be able to get a job.

We get £7.50ph and no meal/shift allowance, no bonus, no overtime rate apart from saturday when we get £9.50ph

You do the maths :laughing:

Needless to say I will be leaving at the soonest opportunity, its the first haulage firm ive worked for since getting my licence’s, to be fair they did take me on with no experience

were on 8.30ph all hours, d/t sunday and 32.50 night out, I’m thinking i’m not going to find anything better for a good while.

ours doesnt seem too bad now looking at some of them,.

we’re on £8 for the first 8 hours per day then £12. (including breaks)

Saturday at £12, Sunday at £16, nights out at £22 + whatever it costs to park.

wood73:
were on 8.30ph all hours, d/t sunday and 32.50 night out, I’m thinking i’m not going to find anything better for a good while.

£32.50 n/o? Is that in Europe?

wood73:

your probably right going by the night out money its probably a good scam for your boss paying that much, i hav heard that some companies pay you nights out whether you did them or not i dont no how true it is but its some fiddle am sure

Driveroneuk:

wood73:

£32.50 n/o? Is that in Europe?

no uk, but they dont pay parking.

With most places charging what now? £15? Leaves you £17.50 night out money. No thanks.

I posted a reply a couple of days ago. The rate I was on 12 years back was £8.00 for class 2.Where is the progress.

i know i fully agree with you all on this…

im on £100 an hour and wouldnt work for any less and anybody that does i think is a right mug :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

…yawn…

ffs change the bloody record, people work for what they can get in the area’s that they live in and the jobs that they want.

jessicas dad:
i know i fully agree with you all on this…

im on £100 an hour and wouldnt work for any less and anybody that does i think is a right mug :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

…yawn…

ffs change the bloody record, people work for what they can get in the area’s that they live in and the jobs that they want.

Same here JD, but if I worked for an agency and had to pay for my own PPE and not knowing where next weeks shopping was coming from or if I would get one two or five days work in June then surely a regular job paying 45 hours, week in, week out, and maybe getting a pension at the end of it for £7.77 and £9 overtime, plus bonuses and shift allowance is preferable!

OT of £9 against a basic of £7.77? That’s a complete P take. The OT rate should be £11.65

Driveroneuk:
OT of £9 against a basic of £7.77? That’s a complete P take. The OT rate should be £11.65

should be, yes maybe but is isnt though is it :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

if you go for a run of the mill standard general haulage job that is what you get. if you go for a job different from the norm maybe with a couple of extras chucked in like adr or hiab then your going to get paid a load more extra.

ours is 1773.40 per month for 50 hours guaranteed per week.then 12.79 after that,spose we are lucky in that respect, but we have lost the tramping side of it and they have cut the overtime down to as little as poss.
don’t really enjoy doing the travel to work everyday (not what i signed up for) but beggars can’t be choosers at the moment. :frowning:
anyone wnat to swop :unamused:

There is no sick pay as standard and you are encouraged to take an hours lunch break unpaid of course. To be quite frank, i’m staying put on the agency for a while, got me a solid 1 years artic experiance via them. That is unless something that pays a similar wage, then i would be most happy to take that job. I do realise that pay differs between regions and a year ago I was getting £9ph on rigids and now the same applies to artics. Have been very lucky that I’m mainly shunting between 3-4 sites, must have done something right as they keep asking me to come back.

there you go paul you now mention shunting…

you find that certain firms pay a premium for crap jobs … like shunting. now dont let put me shunters down but i could proberley last a week at that just going between 3 sites all day being chased about with possibly a two way radio. now firms know this and to keep someone happy with this they have to pay for it.

4 weeks ago i left freightliner and possibly the best paid job around leeds, why… im sick and tired of being chased and stuck within a 50 mile radius of leeds and doing the same jobs day in day out with no varity. today ive got a new job tramping uk on general haulage which is something i enjoy, and im looking forwards to doing but ive had to take a big wage cut, now seeing as ive got another 28 years min to work i’d rather be happy at work and work somewhere i feel i can spend a long time than at freightliner where i dread going to work and when i look at the next days job list know where excatly every job is.

I think I explained it a bit wrongly, I’m ‘shunting’ between 3-4 clients and each one has their own distribution runs. Some are repetitive and some are just ■■■■ boring but, its a job and as I get to know the clients I seem to get a bit better work than other agency drivers. The assignment on Friday I was asked which run I would like to choose. Don’t mind going to certain places, good drive, decent access and of course the subsidised canteens work well. In one place a full english is only £1.35, where else could you get such a good deal.

jessicas dad:
there you go paul you now mention shunting…

you find that certain firms pay a premium for crap jobs … like shunting. now dont let put me shunters down but i could proberley last a week at that just going between 3 sites all day being chased about with possibly a two way radio. now firms know this and to keep someone happy with this they have to pay for it.

4 weeks ago i left freightliner and possibly the best paid job around leeds, why… im sick and tired of being chased and stuck within a 50 mile radius of leeds and doing the same jobs day in day out with no varity. today ive got a new job tramping uk on general haulage which is something i enjoy, and im looking forwards to doing but ive had to take a big wage cut, now seeing as ive got another 28 years min to work i’d rather be happy at work and work somewhere i feel i can spend a long time than at freightliner where i dread going to work and when i look at the next days job list know where excatly every job is.

Who are you on with JD? Well I’m on for Stobbies out of South Ockendon only went initialy for the 2 years experience thingy but since then along came the downturn and i’m nearly at 3 years.£8.50 an hour Mon to Fri nights tramping on General Haulage all over the UK. £13.00 a shift meal allowance,newly introduced Drivers bonus of £3.50 a shift(with possible increases in the future OH Yeah!)and £25.00 London Weighting a week.£20.50 night out+parking only paid no meal vouchers.I’ve got used to it now and not sure i want to drive daytime now or am i mental :grimacing: