Agency Driver - do we have to drive crap like this?

went on an agency job today, have been to this place before, and the trucks i have been given to drive are not the best of thier fleet, which i expected, but this■■?

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
If the inside of the cab is like that, what’s the rest of the truck like?
What’s the smell like inside??
Is it :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Makes you wonder if it’s road worthy, Just because your on agency shouldn’t be given a death trap :exclamation:
You might need another medical after driving it though :laughing:

just cos the cabs dirty theres no definite link that the truck isn’t roadworthy :wink:

why not book a couple of extra hours to the agency and clean it :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

haulage isn’t only about brand new shiny trucks :wink:

Judging from cab’s condition I’d say this truck is spare truck of the company so everyone drives with it and no one keep care of it. So dirt just keeps piling as every driver thinks “not my problem, I just drive this for one day”.

swordtail:
Makes you wonder if it’s road worthy,

Truck being dirty has nothing to do with it’s roadworthines :unamused: After couple of hours cleaning that truck propably looks as good as new, and I also mean like new. I once cleaned cab of company’s spare truck, nice 143 with a day cab. It took about hour and half after which I was really astonished about finding cab to be physically almost in almost “brand new” condition (it had done 1.1+ million km in multidrop work).

I’d suggest you inform company in question that you have to spent couple hours cleaning the cab as you don’t drive truck in such dirty condition :wink:

Edit: and apparently I started writing just when Denis posted his reply :slight_smile:

Remember when on Agency work you drive alot of trucks some sheds some well looked after .Nip to the local £ shop buy polish /air freshner and a couple of roll of polishing clothes give each truck you drive a quick wipe round where ever you work and you will be surprized you will be asked back and regular drivers of trucks will say let (so andso) agency driver have my truck he looks after it. For a couple of £ you will get work its not hard.and will get your money back tenfold.

Denis F:
just cos the cabs dirty theres no definite link that the truck isn’t roadworthy :wink:

Maybe I didn’t phrase it right what I was getting at was if it has been neglected inside has the Motor itself been neglected also :question:

I`ve driven worst. ALOT WORST!!!

Know wonder people don`t want to become truck drivers!!!

Would you work in an office that dirty or a bank or a shop■■?

i have been doin agency driving for a few months now & the condition of the interiors are all different, your lucky if someone is on holiday or sick as you will get their nice clean cab but if the company is busy you will get the spare 1 which will have a neglected cab like a bin…i take air freshner with me in my box now due to this.

we have an f reg scania which is jst a lil cleaner but the inside is also crap and not looked well after… cleaned it out the other day and crap i found was horrible cant stand a messy cab… also to turn ours off uv to pull the choke out still manages to pass M o T though and is road worthy

truckerjimbo:
I`ve driven worst. ALOT WORST!!!

Know wonder people don`t want to become truck drivers!!!

Would you work in an office that dirty or a bank or a shop■■?

I know where you are coming from, but this isn’t an office job and anyway I’ve seen several dirty offices in my time aswell as factory floors, it depends on the work the company does.

You’d expect the office of a solicitor to be clean and tidy, but you could understand a bit of dirt in the office in a quarry or scrap yard and if you were temping for them you might not get the latest shiny desk, PC and swivel chair, but this might not mean the job is worse than working in the Solicitors, in fact it might be better, with a more relaxed atmosphere.

The same is true for haulage, just because a company isn’t running the latetest shiny bits of kit on single drop pallet work it doesn’t mean they are a worse prospect to work. Infact in my experience they are better, the work is more interesting and the company is often more fun to work for. And because they have to keep the trucks for longer and therefore they are normally looked after by thier own workshop the maintainance is better.

As for the truck pictured, the trim and cab seem to be solid and it just has the normal damaged fibreglass bulkhead surround that they all have. All it needs to have is a bit of TLC, but I’m sure the maintainance is upto standard. But have a good look round to make sure nothing obvious shows up, then get worried.

I’d drive it, but would refuse a night out in it. :smiley: :smiley:

acceptme:
we have an f reg scania which is jst a lil cleaner but the inside is also crap and not looked well after… cleaned it out the other day and crap i found was horrible cant stand a messy cab… also to turn ours off uv to pull the choke out still manages to pass M o T though and is road worthy

Not sure if you are pulling the choke out, :question: but a fuel cut off. It’s how you turned most trucks off a few years back, turning the key just turned the dashboard lights out. :laughing:

muckles:
I’d drive it, but would refuse a night out in it. :smiley: :smiley:

I agree. I’ve driving motors less than 12 months old with interiors like that. There really are some mucky [zb] about.

TBH it looks in pretty good nick, but is a bit minging inside, which is often the trouble with pool vehicles.

We have a 7.5t at work that gets used by an ocasional driver on nights, it normally gets left full of half eaten sandwiches, ■■■ ash and backky. I scrubbed it out the other week (because it stank) then gave the guy a bollocking for leaving it like it. As we just do parcels there’s no excuse really.

As muckles says, it does depend on what sort of work the motor does to an extent. I mean if it was going to farm yards, you would expect the floor the be mucky. Spilling food and drink on the furnishings then leaving it to dry, or leaving muddy boot prints on the dash is just the sign that an animal has been driving it though. Makes you wonder what their houses are like :open_mouth:

I’ve driven ‘pool vehicles’ in a poor state as well.

No matter what state I get them in - I always leave them at least tidy (if not clean).

As has been said - covering for hols or sickness for a one person who has their own truck is best.

Mind you, the other week a had a lovely merc, the usual driver was a women - you could tell by the garfield on the windscreen and pot porri in ashtray… what is the world coming to? Lovely clean cab tho… :laughing: Even the cab-brush was clean…

She also left lots of little ‘notes’ in the cab giving directions to regular drops etc…

When I worked for Royal Mail , a LOT of vans were in a similar condition to the one at the top of this thread. You would find half eaten beefburgers /sandwiches stuffed into every available ■■■■ and cranny. Sweet wrappers/plastic coffee cups on the floor . Usually a small pool of coffee on the dashboard.Ashtrays overflowing. Burns all over the dash where someone would take the cigarette lighter and stick it into the plastic. Radio invariably smashed. And it smelt like an old dustcart.

But they were all mechanically well maintained,

Part of agency driving, I’m afraid You will not get the latest vehicles to drive as a rule.

It winds me up when I hear agency drivers come into our place and demand a new I-Shift. :smiling_imp:

Why should an unknown agency driver get the new motor, and a staff driver with fifteen years blemish-free service get the old dog?

However, any vehicle you are asked to drive must be roadworthy, no matter who you are working for. :wink:

If the interior is dirty - clean it. You are paid by the hour, I take it?

Likei siad before on Agency you can make alot of money (Rob K )prime example big mouth on here (HE does HIS JOB and gets paided for it if not he would be down the road along time ago .that is why Iam in Algeria working Iam good at what i do When back in the UK you do what makes you money .
remember ■■■■■■■■ talks ,money walks.

HE does HIS JOB and gets paid

I have heard though that some times he gets someone else to do it and doesnt pay them. :laughing: