Cab cleanliness

This has probably been covered before but I’m new so forgive me. Interested to hear thoughts on this subject. I work in the waste industry and you’d be forgiven for thinking that my cab is a dusty mess and covered in [zb]. Well you couldn’t be further from the truth. The fact is I take great care and more so pride, in how I keep my cab. I basically spend 4 very long days (I’m not a tramper) in here and I like it clean, tidy and free of clutter. However, some that I work with, mainly agency but not exclusively, seem to think differently. The attitude seems to be “it aint mine so [zb] it”. For me it’s kind of a professional pride.

Apologises for the waffle.

Tony.

Please have a read of forum rule #3. dd.

Yeh, it’s been mentioned a few times mate.

Cue the agency men :unamused: , with the ‘It aint ‘your’ motor, it’s your firms motor’ which is true I suppose but still no excuse for them leaving a ■■■■ hole behind when they book off…(not all agency guys btw, before I get agency based crap thrown at me :unamused: )

Then there’s the day man who has to share with some dirty 2at of a night man, who looks, and smells, like he is a homeless tramp (and vice versa)

Then there’s the ocd tramper (like me :blush: ) who likes to live in a spotless environment, and goes ape ■■■■ if some spare man ■■■■ s with what is basically his home…or smokes in it :smiling_imp:

So yeh, I deffo see your point, although in your game it must be one hell of a job to keep it as you want it.

There have been some great agency guys who’ve left my truck clean and fuelled up as I left it for them, there is one though that doesn’t give a dam. Rushes about the place like his arse is on fire, constantly moaning about the trucks (that he smashes up, already smashed 3 sets of mirrors on 3 different wagons), says he hates it here yet still comes back.

Although under the scrutiny of a black light my truck interior would look like a crime scene at a ■■■■■■■ party, to the naked eye its virtually spotless.

Perhaps its a pride thing, even on agency the truck would be given a quick dash polish before leaving.
Some sectors are easier than others though, when in the construction game it was a nightmare trying to keep her spick and span but now on boxes its a doddle, a quick rub down and wetwipe to finish off normally does the trick.

Im probably not in Robs league for chintz just yet but im considering installing a pelmet which must be the start of the slippery slope to full frillys.
Saw a bloke furiously polishing his tank the otherday and for the first time I felt the need to do the same to mine.

OCD is interesting as I started a thread once on an ocd forum disputing it being a real illness and saying it was in fact just a made up ‘catch all’ for people who where just a bit odd and needed attention. Didnt go well for me to be fair.

Takes all sorts, some take a pride in their work and some don’t.

Its annoying nay demoralising for those of us who take care but have to share vehicles, that even on the better jobs, there are those who just cannot appreciate what they have and take no care of the equipment nor put any effort into doing the job right, some regular drivers don’t bother either it must be said.

The worse part of returning to work after a holiday is already knowing the state your regular vehicle is going to be in, not just the ingrained muck (and 2 years worth of ingrained brake dust in the wheels from 2 weeks of car drivers efforts) the sheer amount of damage those who don’t give a toss will have caused whilst you are off, it’s unpleasant driving around with scrapes and bumps showing when you yourself haven’t been responsible for them.

As for agency, no better no worse than the regulars, we have some brilliant agency lads who you’d never know had been in your vehicle (yes i know its the company’s vehicle :unamused: ) and some who are no worse than the couldn’t give a monkeys regulars.
No one smokes in our vehicles, they will be sacked without a moments hesitation, we did have one night bloke who had one of the best jobs in the country and lived just round the corner so walked to work, he got the sack for smoking.

No Truckfest prizes for my cab. :laughing:

I used to be an agency driver also so it wasn’t a dig at all agency drivers. Sorry if that came across as such.

The way I see it. It’s my office. I’m living in it 5/6 days a week. I bought my own cleaning stuff. I do multi drop so every couple of drops I’ll give the footwell a quick brush. Change the air freshener every couple of days. I will also chuck some washing up liquid in the back (class 2 rigid) grab the hose and give the back a clean.

When I’m not in and others use my truck I’m not expecting them to keep it to my standard but just throw rubbish away and a quick sweep. It takes 2 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A waste of time cleaning mine inside because as soon as you engage the pto and get out to work the crane or switch the diverter valve from crane to tipper, a cloud of dust gets kicked up that finds it’s way into the cab. I wouldn’t want to live in a grab tipper cab like Lynchs’ drivers do it must be like camping in a sand pit.

Dipper_Dave:
Although under the scrutiny of a black light my truck interior would look like a crime scene at a ■■■■■■■ party, to the naked eye its virtually spotless.

Perhaps its a pride thing, even on agency the truck would be given a quick dash polish before leaving.
Some sectors are easier than others though, when in the construction game it was a nightmare trying to keep her spick and span but now on boxes its a doddle, a quick rub down and wetwipe to finish off normally does the trick.

Im probably not in Robs league for chintz just yet but im considering installing a pelmet which must be the start of the slippery slope to full frillys.
Saw a bloke furiously polishing his tank the otherday and for the first time I felt the need to do the same to mine.

OCD is interesting as I started a thread once on an ocd forum disputing it being a real illness and saying it was in fact just a made up ‘catch all’ for people who where just a bit odd and needed attention. Didnt go well for me to be fair.

Re the ‘crime scene’ :laughing: …When your guvnor is done with the truck Dave, will he sell it or torch it? :smiley:

I’ll send you a couple of copies of my "Frilly curtain monthly’’ mags to browse, seeing as you are now experimenting with pelmets, but be warned it is a gateway drug to the full ‘French brothel’ theme effect in your cab, and the painful abuse that it brings on from the uninitiated amongst us, I know that pain! :cry: :neutral_face:
However they can come in handy for a guy with your…interests if you know what I mean :wink: .
Have a read of my account on the ‘new member’ thread that will explain (a very apt title when you read my post on there :smiley: )

As for tank polishing, you will need advice from others on that, even I aint in that league :open_mouth: , and I admire juddian’s bravery for ‘coming out’ on here recently and admitting to it…that must have hurt the old sod’s reputation for no nonsence old school driver :laughing: , but I still talk to him on here even if he is a tankpolisher :smiley: :wink:

To keep on thread, some of the ■■■■ pits that some trampers live in, never cease to amaze me, they put the ‘tramp’ in trampers. Those are the type of trucks that should be given to like minded dirty ■■■■ s to drive when a spare motor is needed.

I’m fortunate in the sense that I share with a bloke that’s just as keen as me when it comes to cleanliness. It just grates on me that some won’t even make an effort to clean the windows and mirrors. You’re a better driver than me if you can see through dirt and grime.

Oy Robroy, less of the bloody ‘old’… :sunglasses: and whilst we’re there what reputation? unless its a useless doddering old ■■■■ whose losing the plot an alarming rate :open_mouth:

Polish me alloy wheels too, and the stainless exhaust, and the brass safety pressure valves on the back of me tank now and again…now that’s really coming out… :laughing:
And i steam clean the chassis properly before it goes in for inspection/service, tractor and tank…my soul is bared Lord, is that three Hail Mary’s?

Tell you what though, the lads at the workshops seem to appreciate it, all the little jobs get done, nothing is too much trouble for them when i ask and the reliability of my regular steed is proof that looking after stuff works in more ways than one… :grimacing:
Oh and i always make the teas at the tyre bay when i visit, and if one of the lads has to come out to me i’ll make him one then, they look after me too…

See that courtesy thing is still alive and kicking in good old Blighty.

Juddian:
Polish me alloy wheels too, and the stainless exhaust, and the brass safety pressure valves on the back of me tank now and again…now that’s really coming out… :laughing:
And i steam clean the chassis properly before it goes in for inspection/service, tractor and tank…my soul is bared

Juddian, Wow! The flood gates have opened, let it all go man, you must feel thouroughly cleansed. :smiley:
I still reckon you are only one step away from a tassled pelmet. Go on man, go for it… you know you want to :bulb: , you’ve got the worst confessions over now, …peek a boo curtains here you come.
I’m living proof that you can live with the tassles, but at the same time boast you can still use an Eaton twin splitter to maintain your butchtrucker credibility :laughing:

Cheers Rob, I look forward to thumbing your frilly pages in due course. To reciprocate I have a few old editions of Tribbing Weekly and A Guide to Advanced Felching that I can send your way.

Getting back to topic the amount of electronic gizmos we need adapters and sockets for now amazes me. I hate the sight of wires so its often a mission to position them accordingly. Bloke parked next to me the other night had so many chargers, dash cams, sat navs that I was surprised he could see where he was going.

I like the minimalist look so have one dash cam (driver facing for my own amusement), one sat nav, placed bottom right of the screen and charger cables tucked nicely up tight and out of sight.

Which reminds me, when I had a limp and Lidl carrier bag and used to enter a strange motor how many weird and wonderfull suction cup spit rings there where. You could always tell where the previous drivers have had their sat navs. This ranged from in the middle of the screen to the passenger side, even once there was a ring on the outside drivers mirror.
Predictably when vacating a vehicle I always ensure to clean any tell tale signs of where my ring has been.

Dipper_Dave:
Cheers Rob, I look forward to thumbing your frilly pages in due course. To reciprocate I have a few old editions of Tribbing Weekly and A Guide to Advanced Felching that I can send your way.

Getting back to topic the amount of electronic gizmos we need adapters and sockets for now amazes me. I hate the sight of wires so its often a mission to position them accordingly. Bloke parked next to me the other night had so many chargers, dash cams, sat navs that I was surprised he could see where he was going.

I like the minimalist look so have one dash cam (driver facing for my own amusement), one sat nav, placed bottom right of the screen and charger cables tucked nicely up tight and out of sight.

Which reminds me, when I had a limp and Lidl carrier bag and used to enter a strange motor how many weird and wonderfull suction cup spit rings there where. You could always tell where the previous drivers have had their sat navs. This ranged from in the middle of the screen to the passenger side, even once there was a ring on the outside drivers mirror.
Predictably when vacating a vehicle I always ensure to clean any tell tale signs of where my ring has been.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: You really are one sick puppy mate. :smiley:

Had a skip driver who kept his cab in absolute showroom condition - he was rewarded with his choice of truck, equipment, etc, and a company car to get him to/from work. (I seem to remember we even ended up buying him his furniture polish and air freshener, but we didn’t tell the other drivers about the car!).

It has nothing to do with the type of work and all to do with the type of driver. Usually if the truck has minor scrapes on the outside, it’s a cess pit inside. I’ve known skip and walking floor trucks that you could eat dinner off the pedals, likewise I’ve seen box jockey motors that require a tetnus just to park in the same yard as

I would not want dipper dave and his crime scene in my cab :open_mouth: .I think am ocd i spend about an hour a day cleaning the cab inside hate any dust or dirty anywere.

OVLOV JAY:
It has nothing to do with the type of work and all to do with the type of driver. Usually if the truck has minor scrapes on the outside, it’s a cess pit inside. I’ve known skip and walking floor trucks that you could eat dinner off the pedals, likewise I’ve seen box jockey motors that require a tetnus just to park in the same yard as

Agreed. Had one driver that was covering for the driver who I share with tell me that dust in the cab was part of the job. My question to him was “was there any dust in it when you got in it after me”. His reply, “no”. End of argument.

I spend at least 4 nights in my truck sleeping and insist it is spotless, I always have done on every driving job I have had since I started in 1975, I will brush the floor each time I get out for any reason. Now here’s a tip …
I have been stopped at several times for DOT checks, or in your case VOSA and have been supprised to be let go very quickly and given the all clear. I was told by one cop that it was because my cab interior is clean, it seems the very fist thing most inspectors, be it VOSA or DOT look for is a clean floor, if there are food wrappers or other rubbish on the floor it shows the driver has no regard for taking care of the vehicle and therefore probably does not do pre trip checks etc. One DOT cop in particular commented to me as he handed me an ‘all clear’ inspection sheet that he wasn’t going to waste time doing a full inspection because the floor was so clean and if I take that much care of the interior the rest of the vehicle would have been looked after. I was stopped once at the same time as some other driver, the driver concerned had a cap on and a pony tail, I was given the all clear within minutes and they went to town on his cab, I asked the cop why he was being held up and the answer was “He is scruffy and has a pony tail, if he doesn’t care about his image he certainly doesn’t care about the truck”