Agency driver anger

i’ve copied this story from the Nottingham Evening Post.

the same or a similar story is featured in this weeks commercial motor.

The widow of a policeman killed by a lorry has urged the Government to clamp down on drivers working excessive hours.

Gaynor Needham’s emotional appeal came after she watched Sean Emery, 36, receive a four-year sentence for causing the death by dangerous driving of her husband, Detective Constable John Needham.

Emery, of Sandon Road, Meir, Stoke-on-Trent, was behind the wheel of the lorry that hit DC Needham on the A50 between Uttoxeter and Doveridge on August 3, 2003. DC Needham, who had been seconded to the National Crime Squad in Nottingham, was off duty and competing in a cycle time trial.

The driver had worked 41 of the previous 57 hours for three different clients, breaching strict laws, Nottingham Crown Court heard.

Emery’s employer was FDS Future Driving Services, based in Stoke and Derby. Its former Stoke boss, Brian Alcock, 38, from Park Avenue, Ashbourne, pleaded guilty to manslaughter and was yesterday jailed for three years and banned from being a company director for seven years.

Prosecutor Andrew Dallas said Emery had been driving overnight for 13 hours when the accident occurred.

Before that he had worked a 15-hour shift, driving 388 miles, with only a seven-hour break in between.

This, the court was told, flouted all legal guidelines, making Emery “dangerously tired and fighting sleep” as he encountered PC Needham.

He failed to see the father-of-three on his cycle because he suffered a "microsleep’', only jolting awake after he had hit him.

After the sentencing hearing, Mrs Needham stood on the steps of the court flanked by her children Sarah, Jessica and Luke and other members of her family as Inspector Jock Munro of Derbyshire police read a statement on her behalf.

It said: "John died as a result of the greed of individuals. John died because people want to make more money regardless of the safety of others.

“We hope that John’s death will result in something positive - that the Government will ensure transport agencies like Mr Alcock’s will come under strict legislation.”

Yesterday, Emery also received a six-month concurrent sentence along with his brother James Emery, 43, and brother-in-law Philip Logan, 49, after they admitted perverting the course of justice by concealing, destroying and falsifying documents on hours worked.

Sadie Weston, 21, of Park Avenue, Ashbourne, was cleared of manslaughter and conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, and Katie Turner, 21, of Brook Road, Strentham, was cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

a very sad story that does nothing to depict those of us that call ourselves professional drivers in a very good light.
a driver that probably wouldn’t take a full time job offer because it would restrict his earning potential has stolen a mans life, ruined a families future and as a sidenote made us look like cowboys out for what we can get without a thought for the safety of others.
four years in prison, was this enough?
there is no mention of any driving ban for emery but i am of the opinion that this man should be relieved of his driving licence for a very long time and should never again be able to hold a professional drivers qualification.

johnny:
l.

a very sad story that does nothing to depict those of us that call ourselves professional drivers in a very good light.
a driver that probably wouldn’t take a full time job offer because it would restrict his earning potential has stolen a mans life, ruined a families future and as a sidenote made us look like cowboys out for what we can get without a thought for the safety of others.

I’m very sorry that a fellow driver would seem to think that the only reason a driver would drive for an angency is greed. I drive for an agency not for greed but because having been made redundant at age 54 there are not too many employers out there who want to offer me a job.

I do agree that the driver involved and the owner of the agency should never be allowed to be involved in road transport again and obviously checks should be made to ensure all agencies operate within the law this can only help the drivers by forcing cowboys out and wages up.

johnny:
i’ve copied this story from the Nottingham Evening Post.

the same or a similar story is featured in this weeks commercial motor.

Read about it a while ago, very sad.

johnny:

It doesn’t put any lorry drivers in a good light.

johnny:

Thats just a pure guess that he wouldn’t take a full time job and has nothing to do with it, he was just greedy and selfish.

johnny:
four years in prison, was this enough?

No

johnny:
there is no mention of any driving ban for emery but i am of the opinion that this man should be relieved of his driving licence for a very long time and should never again be able to hold a professional drivers qualification.

You have such insight, but then you are probably a “full time employee” and i can only (as an agency driver) marvell at your knowledge,morals and ethics about the job we do.

Very sad indeed. However, the world has gone mad!

These people took the decision to break the law and are now suffering the consequences. The relevant authorities will eventually reinstate their licenses whilst DC Needham’s unnecessary death will be quietly forgotten.

johnny:
banned from being a company director for seven years…

Doesn’t stop him from running a company when he’s released… His wife/partner/mate can act as company director for the seven years.

johnny:
The widow of a policeman killed by a lorry has urged the Government to clamp down on drivers working excessive hours.

Remember the ban on firearms? Gun crime has dramatically increased since. The law only serves to restrict the rights of the responsible and law-abiding citizen.

johnny:
breaching strict laws…

flouted all legal guidelines…

You’ll never stop people who are committed to breaking the law…

Mike-C:
You have such insight, but then you are probably a “full time employee” and i can only (as an agency driver) marvell at your knowledge,morals and ethics about the job we do.

Full-time employees - they’re the biggest hypocrites on the face of this planet! They give you a right slagging to their colleagues about how useless you are because you’re an agency driver. Six months later, you find they’ve left the full-time job and they’re working for an agency. Sactimonious gits!

Hey brummie,spot on,one firm I did a bit for shut down, but while I was there they had a full work force meenting to which I had to attend!!!during the meeting all I heard was "I hope they shut the place down"type crap,guess what the driver who had the biggest gob when it come to stiring it started crying when the management told them their wish had come true.

get off your bloody high horse johnny yes i agree im sorry for the family but is it only agency drivers that drive stupid hours NO its company drivers as well the mags are full every month if companies that have been hauled in front of commissioners for offences so its not just agencys is it…

a driver that probably wouldn’t take a full time job offer because it would restrict his earning potential

A common misconception. I was an agency driver for two years. Why agency? Because I’m LAZY. I like being able to take days off whenever I feel like it :stuck_out_tongue:

OK lets get something straight here

I AM NOT HAVING A GO AT AGENCY DRIVERS ONLY.

some company drivers are encouraged to do a bit more but the rewards from companies are not as great as from agencies (i know - i’ve run an agency) for a driver.
i (whilst running an agency) had a number of drivers come to me for as much work as they could get and others that openly admitted to being full time employees working 9 hours a day monday to friday that were available to drive from 3pm on a friday right through the weekend as long as they were finished by 7am monday they were prepared to do anything.
the above drivers were just a few of the 40 to 60 that were on the books, most had well paid jobs (they earned more doing that job than they would driving a truck).
the majority of these drivers mentioned didn’t want to work for the stricter companies but preferred the job and knock work with a guaranteed pay rate for the run.
and yes i did work them.
they got the job done, didn’t complain and most never turned any work down at all.
i still see some of them now and they are still doing the same work (through a different agency) that i used to put them on.
all of you agency drivers on here barracking me can only speak for yourselves, what you wouldn’t do
well i can tell you that what both you and i wouldn’t do there are hundreds that will, there are a large number of drivers exactly like the guy in this story, they don’t want full time employment because it restricts their ability to earn the money they want, not only that but some of these drivers were still not happy with the money they were earning and were siphoning diesel from the customers trucks, selling fuel when possible, stealing from the trailers and rummaging through drivers gear in the trucks and taking things, i wouldn’t do any of those things but obviously not every driver is the same.

jessicas dad:
get off your bloody high horse johnny yes i agree im sorry for the family but is it only agency drivers that drive stupid hours NO its company drivers as well the mags are full every month if companies that have been hauled in front of commissioners for offences so its not just agencys is it…

agreed! i was agency for a few years full time and they did encourage me to work illegally on non tacho work but i refused to do it. admittedly, i was out for every penny i could get but i wouldnt risk my licence for a few quid driving a transit for a day.

I watched the story on the news the other week and the driver was shown along with the owner of the truck, and then a picture of a white unit pulling an ASDA trailer. most people will think that it was an ASDA truck that killed this policeman.

I have nothing against agency drivers either, but there is no control on the agencies, they cannot lose their o licence, they can always get another driver to do that job.

As an employed driver the company you work for has some responsibility for the hours you work. an agency driver can sign on with 3 agencies with no questions asked about previous employment.

Its the agency regulations that need tightening up

Oh ! thats alright then …a policemans been killed…so everyone gets on their high horse, demanding government action, and to clamp down on excessive hours worked by drivers…possibly HGV drivers…
What happens to policemen when they kill pedestrians whilst on on duty, travelling at speed, is there an outcry then ?
What happens when policemen are caught speeding ? they are let off
What happens when joy riders are killed because of the high speed pursuits by policemen? they are let off
What happens when policemen are caught drink driving? they often get let off

So what happens when drivers in our own industry have to work 60 to 70 hours a week to earn a decent living…where is the outcry.

Where is the agreement T.Blair signed allowing the transport industry to work a 48 hour week…is everybody in this industry ONLY working 48 hours…or as i suspect are they still working excessive hours…
I do however feel for individuals and their families when a life is lost, but lets have a fair playing field…or is it time to highlight the mistakes truckers make.
I dont feel that 57 hours is excessive, maybe the mistake was made by the fact he had insufficient rest in between duty, or merely sufering a form of sleep apnoae.

I’ve got to come to Johnny’s defence here as so many of you seem to have attacked him after getting the wrong end of the stick.

I read the report of this incident and the driver in question worked in collusion with that agency to do double shifts at different clients, falsifying documents to prevent clients like ASDA realising the true situation.

Johnny:
a driver that probably wouldn’t take a full time job offer because it would restrict his earning potential has stolen a mans life

Johnny was referring to this particular driver who had been proved to be guilty of the allegation in his quote above. Not to all agency drivers in general. That would be a foolish statement and not one which I, or I think Johnny, would support.

Salut, David.

Truckboy,very well put I did think about posting the same things but thought I would be on a losing battle.

johnny:
some of these drivers were still not happy with the money they were earning and were siphoning diesel from the customers trucks, selling fuel when possible, stealing from the trailers and rummaging through drivers gear in the trucks and taking things, i wouldn’t do any of those things

No you wouldn’t be the type who stole from the boss,the customer or the driver who usually drives the truck but

johnny:
some company drivers are encouraged to do a bit more but the rewards from companies are not as great as from agencies (i know - i’ve run an agency) for a driver.
i (whilst running an agency) had a number of drivers come to me for as much work as they could get and others that openly admitted to being full time employees working 9 hours a day monday to friday that were available to drive from 3pm on a friday right through the weekend as long as they were finished by 7am monday they were prepared to do anything.
the above drivers were just a few of the 40 to 60 that were on the books, most had well paid jobs (they earned more doing that job than they would driving a truck).
the majority of these drivers mentioned didn’t want to work for the stricter companies but preferred the job and knock work with a guaranteed pay rate for the run.
and yes i did work them.

it does seem like you are the type who would openly conspire to endanger the lives of innocent road users including presumably your own family.

johnny:

Ah, i see. It was the subject/topic "Agency driver anger " that threw me.

johnny:
…and yes i did work them

You couldn’t make this stuff up, hey?!!

johnny:
…i wouldn’t do any of those things but obviously not every driver is the same.

Thank god! Good post “johnny” with some well rounded informative views there.

PMSL :wink:

I was going to reply but ‘Mike-C’ and ‘Willy Gofar’ managed to do it far more succinctly!

Leave the poor bloke alone…!!!

Mike-C:

johnny:

Ah, i see. It was the subject/topic "Agency driver anger " that threw me.

because it was an agency driver, if i had put driver, someone would have probably pointed out it was an agency driver anyway.

johnny:
…and yes i did work them

guilty as charged to my shame, i needed drivers and they wanted to work, i didn’t like it but i had a job to do and contracts to fulfil, it was a small agency and it certainly opened my eyes to the greed of so many drivers and the utter lack of caring by so many drivers too about their image and professionalism, i didn’t stick it long, 3 months was enough for me and the agency isn’t running anymore which i’m rather pleased about too.

You couldn’t make this stuff up, hey?!!

johnny:
…i wouldn’t do any of those things but obviously not every driver is the same.

i’m not a thief, a few gallons of diesel or a bit of lightfingering of goods isn’t worth the stigma that would follow you around once your labelled a thief.

Thank god! Good post “johnny” with some well rounded informative views there.