Lorry driver jailed

As per title

itv.com/news/central/2017-06 … sh-jailed/

Not good enough should have been longer.There is another thread about the case on here somewhere.

I don’t think he should have been punished more. I don’t know the facts of the case though so might be wrong, but it was a tragic accident and not a deliberate act. The issue for me is more about the driving hours that are allowed. Frankly it is ridiculous how you can work such long days. I regularly get tired. I’ve never fallen asleep at the wheel but many times I’ve come over tired and struggled to keep awake.

It says he is a lorry driver, but if he was driving a lorry at the time, where is it?

Old John:
It says he is a lorry driver, but if he was driving a lorry at the time, where is it?

As above, now days according to the press anything bigger than a trans#it, is a big smelly pollution, killing machine, Driven by a fat sleep deprived monster. ( guardian mode off)

probably out of the picture when taken

I remember when I’d not long passed my class 1 and I had a night run to PalletForce and hadn’t been able to sleep very well the day before, nor in the cab during my brief stop at Burton, so coming back I had to pull in at Oxford services for a nap. Boss wasn’t happy as I’d be late back and his drivers would be waiting, but it was either the services or the back of another vehicle. I then refused to go back to this company for the next night as I wouldn’t have had long enough to rest in between (9 hours in my opinion isn’t enough time for two 20-mile commutes, sleep, shower, cook, eat, clean up …). Agencies don’t like being let down and I suspect neither do some transport managers. Not justifying it, but the pressure is there and the times we sometimes get to sleep, we often can’t without distraction because of noise (lay-bys, transport hubs etc).