Older truck drivers?

Copied from Leicester Mercury

thisisleicestershire.co.uk/n … ticle.html

Lorry driver, 75, jailed for killing Leicester couple in M1 crash
Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 12:00

A 75-year-old lorry driver who killed a couple in a horrific motorway crash and then told police: “I don’t take much notice of what’s in front of me”, was jailed today.

John Leadenham was sentenced to 33 months after his 44-tonne lorry ploughed into a line of stationary traffic on the M1 at over 50mph.

Husband and wife Paul and Doreen Tomlinson were killed instantly when the HGV, pushed their Peugeot underneath another lorry as they waited in the queue.

Judge David Price told Nottingham Crown Court: "Those who drive HGVs have a particular responsibility to other road users because of the nature of the vehicle they drive.

"The results of any error can be catastrophic.

The judge told Leadenham: "You were aware of the potential harm that could arise out of a collision involving your lorry unless you were in full control at all times.

"This was not a momentary lapse of concentration. You had ample time to observe the hazard and brake lights ahead of you and come to a stop without endangering anyone.

“Mr and Mrs Tomlinson will be sorely missed by their children and grandchildren.”

Leadenham, of Walton Way, Harlaxton, Grantham, was also banned from the roads for five years after being convicted of causing death by dangerous driving on October 7, 2008.

An earlier trial at Leicester Crown Court heard he failed to react to the stationary vehicles ahead of him and only started braking 17 metres before he struck the Tomlinson’s car.

Prosecutor Jonathan Spicer said the crash took place on the southbound M1 just before junction 24a in Leicestershire.

Traffic had built up because of an earlier accident and Mr Tomlinson, 66, and his 64-year-old wife, of Glen Parva, Leicester, had come to a halt behind a Scania lorry.

Other drivers stopped behind their car but were forced to take evasive action as they saw Leadenham’s articulated lorry bearing down on them in their rear-view mirrors.

One managed to drive onto the hard shoulder and another was pushed out of the way by Leadenham’s HGV before it struck the Tomlinsons close to its maximum speed of 55mph.

The car was spun round and pushed sideways into the rear of the Scania lorry, causing an impact “like an explosion”.

Mr Spicer said Leadenham’s vehicle finally came to a halt 69 metres further down the motorway.

After his arrest, Leadenham, who was driving for haulage firm James Irlam, told police: "I do not quite know what happened really, it happened that quick.

“I don’t take much notice of what’s in front of me, really.”

Christopher Barnes, the driver of the Scania lorry, said it “felt as though a bomb was going off” when the Tomlinson’s car was forced into the rear of his vehicle.

Leadenham was still driving at his advanced age because his daughter was dying of cancer and he wanted to give her some of her inheritance while she was still alive.

David Fish, defending, said Leadenham, who had been driving lorries for almost 50 years, had an “exemplary record on the road”.

“He is upset and remorseful by what happened, He is normally a careful and conscientious driver,” he added.

you must be my brother IVE Not usually got enough time for the internet.
But weell done son .
[zb]

Whats with all the anti oldie ■■■■ its the poles that STOLE your job .
an killed more than there fair share on the A9 8 years ago so go [zb] thy self.

Although I am 67 and still driving HGVs,I do think that 75 is a bit to old to be driving HGVs, but then again I dont think age as anything to do with lack of concentration,I have seen younger drivers drifting across the carriageways because they are nodding at the wheel.
I am no better nor worse than anyone else on the road.
Sending John Leadenham to prison will not serve any purpose whatsoever, I am sure he is full of remorse for what he as done, and I think that taking his licence away would be punishment enough. It will cost more to keep locked up than to let him have his freedom.
He as to live with the fact that he killed 2 people in an accident , and not on purpose.

John Leadenham said " I dont take much notice of whats in front of me really " :open_mouth: wtf is that supposed to mean ?

My condolences tothe poor couple who died and their families and friends. :cry:

James Bateman:
John Leadenham said " I dont take much notice of whats in front of me really " :open_mouth: wtf is that supposed to mean ?

when he had the accident if he had said " i felt ill with chest pains " or something similar he would have got off with just a banning of his license, but to come out with that quote he is heading straight to the nick with no get out off jail card. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

You’ve got to take responsibility for your actions, we all know he didn’t mean to do it but 2 people are dead because of him, he’s lucky he only got 33 months, you wouldn’t be saying let him off with a slap if it was your mam and dad he killed or your son or daughter.

WTF

“I don’t take much notice of what’s in front of me, really.” :exclamation:
David Fish, defending, said Leadenham, who had been driving lorries for almost 50 years, had an “exemplary record on the road”. :open_mouth:

"He is upset and remorseful by what happened, He is normally a careful and conscientious driver," he added :question:

Is it just me who’s read that and thinks that it does’nt quite add up :question:

rocky 7:
Although I am 67 and still driving HGVs,I do think that 75 is a bit to old to be driving HGVs, but then again I dont think age as anything to do with lack of concentration,I have seen younger drivers drifting across the carriageways because they are nodding at the wheel.
I am no better nor worse than anyone else on the road.
Sending John Leadenham to prison will not serve any purpose whatsoever, I am sure he is full of remorse for what he as done, and I think that taking his licence away would be punishment enough. It will cost more to keep locked up than to let him have his freedom.
He as to live with the fact that he killed 2 people in an accident , and not on purpose.

I am also coming up to 67 and still driving,although only casually,2 or 3 night trunks a week.
If I thought for one moment I was not up to the job,I hope I’d have the common sense to park up,permanently.
But when I see some antics of much younger drivers,I really do despair.
Like the cool dude driving for Sainsbury’s doing 50 mph half on half off the hard shoulder,with both feet on the dashboard and in deep conversation on his mobile phone?
When I passed him and sounded my horn,he didn’t acknowledge me,didn’t know I was there!.
As Harry Callahan said,“A man’s got to know his limitations!”.

bestbooties:
I am also coming up to 67 and still driving,although only casually,2 or 3 night trunks a week.
If I thought for one moment I was not up to the job,I hope I’d have the common sense to park up,permanently.
But when I see some antics of much younger drivers,I really do despair.
Like the cool dude driving for Sainsbury’s doing 50 mph half on half off the hard shoulder,with both feet on the dashboard and in deep conversation on his mobile phone?
When I passed him and sounded my horn,he didn’t acknowledge me,didn’t know I was there!.
As Harry Callahan said,“A man’s got to know his limitations!”.

Well really :open_mouth: ,

How rude of you to blow your horn while he was in deep conversation on his mobile :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

James Bateman:

Have you not thought that he might of said this soon after the accident while still in a state of shock and confusion. But of course because it’s now been reported out of context and has dammed the bloke.

its a very difficult one really, 2 innocent folks have died, but the truck driver was only driving if you read between the lines to give his daughter some cash to possibly enjoy what time she had left[if im reading it right].not out there because hes bored, filling his pockets,just trying to give his daughter wih cancer some money,its just a relly sad case.
should he have gone to prison,no, i should hope if it was one of my loved ones killed id have it in me to take into account why he was driving,what will it achieve at that age, .
as for him saying he doesnt take much notice of whats in front id have to agree with others, no one would say that unless they were in shock.
its just very sad allround :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

muckles:

James Bateman:

Have you not thought that he might of said this soon after the accident while still in a state of shock and confusion. But of course because it’s now been reported out of context and has dammed the bloke.

I’m just commenting on what Ive read.
Leadenham started braking 17 metres before he struck the Tomlinsons car,travelling at nearly 55MPH.
As the judge said " This was not a momentary lapse of concentration.You had ample time to observe the hazard and brake lights ahead of you and could have come to a stop without endangering anyone ".
Seems to me Leadenham might have been telling the truth when he stated " I dont take much notice of whats in front of me ".
Mores the pity.

Have none of us have been in a similar situation but by some miracle it didn’t result in a tragedy? It could happen to anyone, and we all hope and pray it isn’t us.

Trev_H:
Well really :open_mouth: ,

How rude of you to blow your horn while he was in deep conversation on his mobile :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know.
In my frustration I forgot my manners!
While we’re on the subject,why don’t all trucks have air horns as standard instead of the pathetic peep peeps we have had for years,makes your 44 tonner sound like a Ford Cortina!

bestbooties:

Trev_H:
While we’re on the subject,why don’t all trucks have air horns as standard instead of the pathetic peep peeps we have had for years,makes your 44 tonner sound like a Ford Cortina!

Just for the record my old 1600E did have air horns - loud bu@gers as well :smiling_imp:

It was 9 month ago I commented on this subject, I am still driving full time and have not had an accident in that time. the minute I feel I am getting past it I will hang my licence up.

Mad dan:
WTF

“I don’t take much notice of what’s in front of me, really.” :exclamation:
David Fish, defending, said Leadenham, who had been driving lorries for almost 50 years, had an “exemplary record on the road”. :open_mouth:

"He is upset and remorseful by what happened, He is normally a careful and conscientious driver," he added :question:

Is it just me who’s read that and thinks that it does’nt quite add up :question:

:open_mouth: ^+1

was told this accident was the reason stobarts got rid of all 65+ drivers,makes you wonder if the same will apply if a 30 yr old has a pile up and kills a few folks

has he got rid of all his part time firmen,from what I remember he had to be told by his own drivers they were running bent