Older truck drivers?

An observation on his comment “I dont take much notice wahts in front of me”…Maybe when you take that in context with being an experienced proffessional driver, it would translate into…I know whats going on directly in front of me, it is in front of me, I am looking at what is developing further forward, whats in front of me is a given. I dont know, but this is just what he may have meant?
And I am only guessing again, but if you become preoccupied with that at his age, then what is under your nose, may take a little longer to react too…Just a thought.

As I have said on other forums since retirement I have been trade plating.This morning I was down to take a 51 plate scania to southampton for export.
When I checked it over I found that the drive axle tyres where all bald, and totally illegal to drive.
I phoned my boss and he said if I wasnt prepared to drive it then leave it and go home.
I dont know what the plan is at the moment, but am I entitled to a days pay for turning in for work, and what should I do if one of the k**heads, who work for us take it as it is?

Very sad for all concerned I think.
This accident cost Esl according to rumours, close on a million pounds and did bring on the “65 and your out rule” but what’s going to happen from October with the government bringing the new retirement rules in where I for instance can’t retire till I’m 67■■

We have a guy at our place who’s well past his retirement age but still tramps for weeks at a time the reason being is that he has no family and if he were to sit at home then according to him he wouldn’t last 6 months as it keeps him active both physically and mentally.Fair play to him I say!!

ady1:
was told this accident was the reason stobarts got rid of all 65+ drivers

I’ll second that.

A guy I used to work with at Clarkes some years ago who had retired was doing casual at Stobbies, and he has now gone because he’s over 65.

Regarding sending the guy to prison, well, while he’s committed a very serious offence, there are people who don’t go to prison for committing just as serious an offence, and that’s the problem with the judicial system in this country as it’s so inconsistent.

While I am in no way condoning what he’s done, I don’t think prison is perhaps the right option, but then again I don’t know what the answer is. :confused:

Ken.

Its probably more about what he said (I don’t take much notice of what’s in front of me, really) than the guys age.

Terrible thing to say really although what good is jail honestly ?

rocky 7:
As I have said on other forums since retirement I have been trade plating.This morning I was down to take a 51 plate scania to southampton for export.
When I checked it over I found that the drive axle tyres where all bald, and totally illegal to drive.
I phoned my boss and he said if I wasnt prepared to drive it then leave it and go home.
I dont know what the plan is at the moment, but am I entitled to a days pay for turning in for work, and what should I do if one of the k**heads, who work for us take it as it is?

The thing is Rocky, that you still have a licence, the knobhead who delivered will probably join this site in a few months complaining about VOSA bullies and Police brutality :imp:

ady1:
was told this accident was the reason stobarts got rid of all 65+ drivers,makes you wonder if the same will apply if a 30 yr old has a pile up and kills a few folks

ady.
doesant it say in the report the driver was working for james irlam.Am i right in thinking this firm is connected to stobbarts in some way.I stand to be corrected.
regards dave.

Stobarts bought them in March 2008 I believe

Thetaff:
We have a guy at our place who’s well past his retirement age but still tramps for weeks at a time the reason being is that he has no family and if he were to sit at home then according to him he wouldn’t last 6 months as it keeps him active both physically and mentally.Fair play to him I say!!

Our relief driver (retired) died suddenly 2 weeks ago aged 70. Not long had a medical, but he was laid off before Christmas as work went slack and we knew he was one of those for whom retirement would be the end…

My dad is 72 and he is still driving for a frim in manchester he only gose in when they need him he as been doing 4/5 day

Retirement is something most of us look forward, but if you have been working all your life it is not always easy to adapt. I think that anyone who wants to work on beyond pension day should be able to if they are fit to do so.

I have worked with people whose only life was their job and who only survived a couple of years of retirement. Bear in mind that if you are working 60 hours a week then that is the amount of time you will have to find things to occupy yourself when you give up work. It is easy for those that have dossed all their lives but not for those that have worked.

Winter is the worst time if you are an outdoor person, which I think most of us are.

waddy640:
It is easy for those that have dossed all their lives but not for those that have worked.

Winter is the worst time if you are an outdoor person, which I think most of us are.

The problem with this country is, the dossers get looked after whilst the workers get [zb] on as usual, since I "Retired " I* pay more tax and if I am ill I cant claim sick pay.

Just because you are a certain age does not mean your unfit to drive.Its all about ability and attitude.I know plenty older drivers,some good some bad!
I know plenty young drivers,some good ,some bad.Unfortunately some drivers become complacent,just because they do it everyday and nothing happens they think everything is fine untill the unexpected happens and of course its never their fault!
I still say standards of driving have dropped drastically in recent years.It is all very sad really when people lose their lives because of the irresponsibility and bad attitude of some.
I know I have mentioned it before but as it is my pet hate I will mention it again.
Years ago up and down the motorways you saw the odd truck travelling too close to the vehicle in front but now it is the odd one that keeps a safe distance!
Until something is done the carnage will continue.

Passed my med today, another 12 months, on the road (hopefully)
Someone on another thread ,said I should be retired at my age. I totally agree…
If the bloody government looked after us pensioners we wouldn’t have to work.

rocky 7:

hey rocky 7 its not up to the government to look after you after retirement, why have you not got your own pension, or put a few pound away each week towards your retirement, it make me so mad to think that your working at 67yrs old, takeing a job a younge familey man could be doing instead of haveing to drew the dole because you dident bother your ars saveing for your retirement…

I AGREE BUT THE COST OF LIVING GOING UP EVERY DAY SOME PEOPLE ARE STRETCHED ON THEIR BUDGET

If there were a finite number of jobs then older folk would be stealing a job from a younger man.Its up to the younger guys to get up of their butts and find work ,if the old codgers can do it then so can you. I know a man who is giving up his licence this year as he will be 82 years young.Older folk often do a few hours or an odd day when the regular person is not available.

rorykk:

rocky 7:

hey rocky 7 its not up to the government to look after you after retirement, why have you not got your own pension, or put a few pound away each week towards your retirement, it make me so mad to think that your working at 67yrs old, takeing a job a younge familey man could be doing instead of haveing to drew the dole because you dident bother your ars saveing for your retirement…

I assume your joking , but if not, you need to come into the real world sonny

rocky 7:

rorykk:

rocky 7:

I assume your joking , but if not, you need to come into the real world sonny

no im not jokeing rocky 7, i am in the real world, ive been paying into a pension since i was 18yrs old i also put a few pound awway every week my income will be better when i retire than it is now, i will be retireing at 55yrs old i wont be dependent on anyone, and before you say im lucky to have it im not i chose to look after my self, i have also had meny indowment polcy’s over the yrs i have paid into my pension when they mutured and ive not always had good paying jobs at times its been tight