Agencies Dry?

I work for ADR Network, 5 nights a week every week and I normally get a call asking me to go in for a 6th on one of my days off (which I decline).

Yep ADR still keeping me in work .Been 3 years on the same contract and they are advertising on the job center page for drivers for the BP contract (Harlow) .Think the pay starts at £9.75 upwards ,easy work as well

Thanks lads for the heads up!! :wink:

This may come as a revelation to some.
Agency work, unless you’re on a full time contract, is cover work.

Agencies work a bit thin now ?
Look at a calender !
You might notice that the summer holiday season has ended, you might also notice that Christmas is a couple of months away.
It is fairly safe to assume that most people will have taken their summer holiday.
It’s also fairly safe to assume that most people will be putting in as much overtime as they can just now. They want to put money into the bank to cover Christmas presents and other festive stuff.
It isn’t yet time for the Christmas rush to start either.
Therefore agency work is bound to be a bit thin.

Funnily enough, it was exactly the same this time last year, and the year before, and the year before. In fact it was always a bit thin at this time of year when I did agency work over 10 years ago and it was nothing new then either. You’ll find that agency work will be a bit thin in spring too, for exactly the same reasons except that the holidays are reversed.

Anyone else dry on the agencies at the moment?

A bit of ringing round this morning to try and get something for next week has turned up sweet FA. They aren’t even lying anymore, just flat out saying there’s no chance of anything. Registered with about 5, all the ones within 50 miles anyway, and its the same story everywhere.

I’ve always had a good record with them, always asked back never chucked off a site etc, will do nights/london etc just seems there’s nothing about. After Friday I’m screwed!

It’s just started getting a bit busier around here after the usual Jan-March lull, but certainly haven’t seen any agencies advertising for new drivers yet.

Its been very dry around here mate, in the last two weeks I have only had one days class 2 after getting an average three days a week class during the quiet of Jan-March.

Thankfully have now got a full time tramping job which has come just in time thankfully!

They still lie down ere. No work for ages, tell a lie, was offered some shunting last night, port - yard, yard - port. Nah, not for me. Nothing else though and I can’t get 7.5T or Rigid work cos I’m a Class 1 Driver. WTF, the mind boggles.

dinosteveus1:
Nothing else though and I can’t get 7.5T or Rigid work cos I’m a Class 1 Driver

Really?! around here they’ll offer you Van/7.5 work even if your last job was captain of the Queen Mary 2!

But not at the moment, not even home delivery multidrop stuff.

Yep, ‘really’. I complained to my Agency a couple of weeks back and they offered me a little driving job for last week, delivering TVs etc for Brighthouse, Ummmm no comment, anyway, the job was in fact a Drivers Mate, no driving involved. I phoned up and complained and they claimed not to know this was not a driving job.
I completed the week and asked for a 7.5t or rigid work if my regular night job was quiet, there reply was “you’re a Class ! Driver, we can’t give you Class 2 or 7.5t work” Whatever,
Won’t be with them for much longer.

We had normally 3 to 4 Day during jan/feb
But now has another Agency mayority.Whos Driver do 4 and 5 Day/week and we do 2 day/week

andi_cardiff:
Its been very dry around here mate, in the last two weeks I have only had one days class 2 after getting an average three days a week class during the quiet of Jan-March.

Thankfully have now got a full time tramping job which has come just in time thankfully!

What i noticed is that Tesco doesn’t likes doing Late Start anymore.
Normally start between 16.00 and 20.00 with finishing between 04.00 and 10.00
But now is late Start around 14.00 to 15.00 for Agency,and they put new Shifts in Place with starting at 23.00 to 05.00
Dont know the reason for it,but late start,after 15.00 gets mainly cancelled now

did 9 days between christmas and 23 feb then worked 10 days out of 12 now sat at home,like being at home but the moneys no good

I’m going on Holiday over Easter.
Don’t think its cheaper seating half Time at Home. May do short Trip to USA. Flying Chicago,by Greyhound via Denver down to Barstow. (Great View and about every 3 Hour short stop),Staying at Hotel Travel lodge just over the Road of greyhound Station,visiting Ghost town “Calico” the Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs and Silver Lakes in Helendale.
Best time at Easter
25 to 30 Degree Celsius to get Brown, Meals for half the Money,Truck Stops to take Pictiures of US-Trucks,and after a Week or 10 Day with Amtrak via Flagstaff and past santa Fee back to Chicago.
Expect £600.- for traveling and £25.-/Night for Hotel. But there is also a KOA Campsite with Laundry and everything.
Just travel without Luagage so Airline and Greyhound can’t lose it. Everything overthere the same Number in Price,but $10.- is cheaper then £10.- :slight_smile:
Maybe see you there?

I very much doubt it

This advert has been in our local rag most nights for at least the last 6 months.It’s in again today.

Urgently required,LGV 1 & 2 and 7.5 tonne Minimum of 12 months experience.
Call Online Personell Solutions on 01782 205757

Why not give them a try like my boy and some of his mates.What have they had? ■■■■ all! “We’ll call you if anything comes in”!.

Lovlyperson:
I’m going on Holiday over Easter.
Don’t think its cheaper seating half Time at Home. May do short Trip to USA. Flying Chicago,by Greyhound via Denver down to Barstow. (Great View and about every 3 Hour short stop),Staying at Hotel Travel lodge just over the Road of greyhound Station,visiting Ghost town “Calico” the Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs and Silver Lakes in Helendale.
Best time at Easter
25 to 30 Degree Celsius to get Brown, Meals for half the Money,Truck Stops to take Pictiures of US-Trucks,and after a Week or 10 Day with Amtrak via Flagstaff and past santa Fee back to Chicago.
Expect £600.- for traveling and £25.-/Night for Hotel. But there is also a KOA Campsite with Laundry and everything.
Just travel without Luagage so Airline and Greyhound can’t lose it. Everything overthere the same Number in Price,but $10.- is cheaper then £10.- :slight_smile:
Maybe see you there?

Lol I was hoping to be driving trucks down there by now, but paperwork holds things up.

On topic.
Just signing up with agencies in Yorkshire so will soon find out if it’s dead.

Its dry, i`ve lost more days this month, than the whole of last year :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Yes it’s dry I’ve been on with this agency for 7 years now and all that time I reckon I’ve lost 3 days when I’ve been available and there’s been no work
Last 2 weeks I’ve been idle 6 available days
i work mainly for 2 of the big supermarkets
Mind you one of the worrying things is that one of the supermarkets seems to have discovered an agency supplying chinese drivers, each time i’ve been in over the last 3 weeks there’s been 3 or 4 of them working and I’ve never seen them before whats all that about ■■?

i think we can forget the promised driver shortage

Worzel:
Yes it’s dry I’ve been on with this agency for 7 years now and all that time I reckon I’ve lost 3 days when I’ve been available and there’s been no work
Last 2 weeks I’ve been idle 6 available days
i work mainly for 2 of the big supermarkets
Mind you one of the worrying things is that one of the supermarkets seems to have discovered an agency supplying chinese drivers, each time i’ve been in over the last 3 weeks there’s been 3 or 4 of them working and I’ve never seen them before whats all that about ■■?

i think we can forget the promised driver shortage

These may be Gurkas, they have a slightly Chinese look about them, but, with a darker complexion…

There are a few on the tippers around Coalville IIRC, and, around areas, where there is a shortage of “locals” :open_mouth:

They were getting into the security game in a big way last year, not seen too many around this year, always polite, well mannered gentlemen, Morrisons @ Swindon had a posse, are they still there ■■?