Agency work..

Well I’ve gone from having no work since Easter apart from a few days and a week last week to this monday with two agencies ringing me at the same time and an agency I’ve not worked for for 3 years ringing me out of the blue this afternoon.

I guess the work is finally rolling in now the sun is out.

Is it getting busier for the rest of the agency guys on here? I know we were all in the same boat a month ago.

Conor:
Is it getting busier for the rest of the agency guys on here? I know we were all in the same boat a month ago.

ANSWERED HERE :smiley: :smiley:

Just be warey of agencies who ring you up promising you work for the rest of the week and for the next few weeks and beyond. As these are usually blind block bookings, this sort of thing is happening more often, especially in a run up to a bank holiday, and the work promised ends up disappearing into thin air :frowning:
This is something I`m coming up against more often recently. In fact the phone is going into meltdown at times with false promises.
The end result, beside leaving drivers in the lerch, is that companies are being forced to block book drivers, and using them for only a day or 2 that they needed em, dumping the driver and leaving them without work for the rest of the week, and leaving other companies who plan late in the week short of drivers.
The only winners are the agencies

peirre:

I disagree peirre; the winners are the clients.

When I was a consultant, I lost count of the times I had Tradeteam, Hays, NFT and all the other big companies ringing up for a zillion drivers and then whittling it down to about three at the last minute; by which time I’d busted my ■■■ all day booking then cancelling then changing start times etc.

it’s a lottery to be honest, first agency to fill the gaps gets the work as you’re aware; invariably though you get dumb-■■■ consultants giving the client a list of names which they know they can’t provide, which screws things up for the decent ones who then have to mess about and put things right.

i’ve had many an instance where I’ve rung my client back with names, only to be told that the very same drivers are booked in already with a different agency; something I know to be patently untrue because unlike the other agency I’d actually spoken to the driver and booked him. Driver then goes in for me at his allotted time, only to get a rollicking because he should have been there two hours earlier.

If anything I got more ■■■■■■ off than the drivers did.

Remember if the agency don’t get the booking they don’t get paid either, as a rule. The client doesn’t care so long as he gets the driver at the right time.

It’s not all fun in the office! :wink:

gnasty gnome:

peirre:

When I was a consultant,

CONSULTANT: ■■?
One who gives expert or professional advice.

Not; Sits on the end of a phone, then rings drivers.

Can anyone guess these job descriptions?

Personal conveyance service consultant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Public official residence, lodging, meals and other services consultant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robB39:

gnasty gnome:

peirre:

When I was a consultant,

CONSULTANT: ■■?
One who gives expert or professional advice.

Not; Sits on the end of a phone, then rings drivers.

:

Won’t disagree with that mate; but that’s the generic job description . :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been called a lot worse than that BTW!

I actually found an office chair to be a bit more comfortable to sit on than the end of a phone! :wink: