Agencies Dry?

mickfly:

Lovlyperson:
I’m going on Holiday over Easter.
Don’t think its cheaper seating half Time at Home. May do short Trip to USA. Flying Chicago,by Greyhound via Denver down to Barstow. (Great View and about every 3 Hour short stop),Staying at Hotel Travel lodge just over the Road of greyhound Station,visiting Ghost town “Calico” the Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs and Silver Lakes in Helendale.
Best time at Easter
25 to 30 Degree Celsius to get Brown, Meals for half the Money,Truck Stops to take Pictiures of US-Trucks,and after a Week or 10 Day with Amtrak via Flagstaff and past santa Fee back to Chicago.
Expect £600.- for traveling and £25.-/Night for Hotel. But there is also a KOA Campsite with Laundry and everything.
Just travel without Luagage so Airline and Greyhound can’t lose it. Everything overthere the same Number in Price,but $10.- is cheaper then £10.- :slight_smile:
Maybe see you there?

Lol I was hoping to be driving trucks down there by now, but paperwork holds things up.

On topic.
Just signing up with agencies in Yorkshire so will soon find out if it’s dead.

where and what will ya drive :question:

Stanley Mitchell:
These may be Gurkas, they have a slightly Chinese look about them, but, with a darker complexion…

There are a few on the tippers around Coalville IIRC, and, around areas, where there is a shortage of “locals” :open_mouth:

They were getting into the security game in a big way last year, not seen too many around this year, always polite, well mannered gentlemen, Morrisons @ Swindon had a posse, are they still there ■■?

There were loads of them on the gate at the New Asda depot in Didcot. Most friendly and happy gatehouse guys I have ever met, can we swap all RDC gatehouse staff for Ghurkas?

bubsy06:

Stanley Mitchell:
These may be Gurkas, they have a slightly Chinese look about them, but, with a darker complexion…

There are a few on the tippers around Coalville IIRC, and, around areas, where there is a shortage of “locals” :open_mouth:

They were getting into the security game in a big way last year, not seen too many around this year, always polite, well mannered gentlemen, Morrisons @ Swindon had a posse, are they still there ■■?

There were loads of them on the gate at the New Asda depot in Didcot. Most friendly and happy gatehouse guys I have ever met, can we swap all RDC gatehouse staff for Ghurkas?

That`s the other place I was trying to think about, very nice people, seemed happy to be at work…AND, not a canteen medal amongst them :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Scarab:
Anyone else dry on the agencies at the moment?

A bit of ringing round this morning to try and get something for next week has turned up sweet FA. They aren’t even lying anymore, just flat out saying there’s no chance of anything. Registered with about 5, all the ones within 50 miles anyway, and its the same story everywhere.

I’ve always had a good record with them, always asked back never chucked off a site etc, will do nights/london etc just seems there’s nothing about. After Friday I’m screwed!

You actually expect to be given times for next week? Pull your head out the clouds :laughing:

bubsy06 wrote:
Stanley Mitchell wrote:

There are a few on the tippers around Coalville IIRC, and, around areas, where there is a shortage of “locals”

I totaly agree been there several times and they are very polite and friendly its a shame every gatehouse has not got them .

Steve-o:

Scarab:
Anyone else dry on the agencies at the moment?

A bit of ringing round this morning to try and get something for next week has turned up sweet FA. They aren’t even lying anymore, just flat out saying there’s no chance of anything. Registered with about 5, all the ones within 50 miles anyway, and its the same story everywhere.

I’ve always had a good record with them, always asked back never chucked off a site etc, will do nights/london etc just seems there’s nothing about. After Friday I’m screwed!

You actually expect to be given times for next week? Pull your head out the clouds :laughing:

Depends who you are working with, I normally have an idea, if not, a confirmed booking a week in advance.
Just been talking to my mate, he has confirmed bookings next week already, two trips to Belfast :laughing:
I think it helps, when an agency and the customer have people who actually know what they are doing :open_mouth:

Lovlyperson:

mickfly:

Lovlyperson:
I’m going on Holiday over Easter.
Don’t think its cheaper seating half Time at Home. May do short Trip to USA. Flying Chicago,by Greyhound via Denver down to Barstow. (Great View and about every 3 Hour short stop),Staying at Hotel Travel lodge just over the Road of greyhound Station,visiting Ghost town “Calico” the Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs and Silver Lakes in Helendale.
Best time at Easter
25 to 30 Degree Celsius to get Brown, Meals for half the Money,Truck Stops to take Pictiures of US-Trucks,and after a Week or 10 Day with Amtrak via Flagstaff and past santa Fee back to Chicago.
Expect £600.- for traveling and £25.-/Night for Hotel. But there is also a KOA Campsite with Laundry and everything.
Just travel without Luagage so Airline and Greyhound can’t lose it. Everything overthere the same Number in Price,but $10.- is cheaper then £10.- :slight_smile:
Maybe see you there?

Lol I was hoping to be driving trucks down there by now, but paperwork holds things up.

On topic.
Just signing up with agencies in Yorkshire so will soon find out if it’s dead.

where and what will ya drive :question:

Leeds/Bradford, drive anything for a proper wage.

South Lincolnshire, been busy all the time 5-6 days a week with the odd night out thrown in for good measure. Had a couple of 4 day weeks early February, but other than that our agency has been very busy.

This may have something to do with it but with E.E.C regs it’s probably full of loopholes.

bis.gov.uk/policies/employme … tegies/awd

things must a bit busier up north,i’ve only lost a couple of days all year so far,managed to do a decent wage every week.
i’m with 2 agencies & 1 is keeping me pretty busy with ADR work & other stuff,the other agency is work with stobarts,was in last night for them,but it’s vey quiet.could tell by the amount of trailers still parked up in sherburn.
a lot of it is last minute work though,but it’s keeping me going until things get busier with holidays etc

Been busy 4/5/6 days for the last year+, normally I`m advanced booked at least 1 week ahead, however I got booked last friday for 4 days this week. then 2hrs later … they cancelled.
This week has been dry, Sunday/Monday was a 45, I was at the dentist Mon anyhow.
But I just picked up a 6 day stretch for the weekend & beyond on the same regular job. Hopefully this (dry) week will only be a 1 off

PDL:
South Lincolnshire, been busy all the time 5-6 days a week with the odd night out thrown in for good measure. Had a couple of 4 day weeks early February, but other than that our agency has been very busy.

This is where I am supposed to be now! Just waiting to exchange contracts on a house up near Tattershall.

I can`t wait, I need to drive…AAArrgghhhhhhhhh…

Can`t wait to be out of the overpopulated SE of England where nobody needs drivers :frowning:

Sorry for all you agency guys who cant get work, and it set me thinking…i read somewhere that there are a lot of hgv drivers about to retire. The article also said that a lot of pensioners cannot afford to retire, or have decided to work on for other reasons. I have retired ( last tuesday ) but i am gonna work 2/3 days a week, as are a couple of other drivers in my company retiring this year. That will be a loss to the agency we use, and maybe thats why agencies are not getting enough work to go around. The other situation is the recession, we all know that it can cost a lot more to hire an agency driver, than a company`s own casual driver. For example i will earn £120 a day, that cost can increase to over £200…and stretch to £300-£400 for a Sat/Sun…i know here in london agencies are advertising £16/!17 £18 per hour for weekends and with the fuel escalating out of control…something has to give. I know that years ago agency drivers taken on at various companies i had worked for, did the least amount of work, which was good if you could get away with it, but today is different, and our agency staff complain about the 15 hr days, so the rules have changed slightly because we are on a salary whether we work or not, and there are times when agency cannot get the hours in except the basic. The other side of the equasion is the new rules that agencies have to adhere to ie: holidays etc, and to be given the same rights as an employed driver. I cannot comment too much on this because i have never worked for an agency, perhaps some can offer some insight into it.

No these guys deffo are’nt Gurka s those are on the gate and I agree a nicer more polite bunch you couldn’t hope to meet the chinese driving are different and don’t speak much english , they’re also young about mid 20s I reckon

Easter is a bit late this year so it probably won’t start picking up til the last week in March/first week in April.

jrl driver:
things must a bit busier up north,i’ve only lost a couple of days all year so far,managed to do a decent wage every week.
i’m with 2 agencies & 1 is keeping me pretty busy with ADR work & other stuff,the other agency is work with stobarts,was in last night for them,but it’s vey quiet.could tell by the amount of trailers still parked up in sherburn.
a lot of it is last minute work though,but it’s keeping me going until things get busier with holidays etc

:open_mouth: Must be costing you a fortune in fuel.

Agency is ■■■■■■ now anyway. Mugs game. Back down at £7-8/hr - peanuts. It was worthwhile doing 3 year ago when the rates were £9-10/hr on days but the peanuts they pay now just isn’t worth the hassle. You’d be better off with a perm job. Too many of £6/hr brigade jumped on the gravy train, that’s why it’s gone down the pan as they’re over the moon with the extra quid a hour not realising that they’re ■■■■■■■ over all the long-termers.

Conor:
Easter is a bit late this year so it probably won’t start picking up til the last week in March/first week in April.

Said that last year, and the year before, and they year before that, but there was no noticeable increase in demand.

The Christmas and Easter “rush” is a thing of the past.

Rob K:
Agency is [zb] now anyway. Mugs game. Back down at £7-8/hr - peanuts. It was worthwhile doing 3 year ago when the rates were £9-10/hr on days.

Oh I dunno Rob, it seems to depend on the customer. Most days I get £10.25 on Class II, Some days its down at £9.03, if its a crappy job like commercial waste then its more likely to be £8.75 but It’s certainly not as low as it was early last year.

Of course thats all dependent on their being some work!

Scarab:

Rob K:
Agency is [zb] now anyway. Mugs game. Back down at £7-8/hr - peanuts. It was worthwhile doing 3 year ago when the rates were £9-10/hr on days.

Oh I dunno Rob, it seems to depend on the customer. Most days I get £10.25 on Class II, Some days its down at £9.03, if its a crappy job like commercial waste then its more likely to be £8.75 but It’s certainly not as low as it was early last year.

Of course thats all dependent on their being some work!

Those figures are the exception rather than the norm, especially for rigids.