Ageing Wannabe

Hello to all…

I have a training budget available to me. If everything goes according to plan I intend taking my C ,C+E tests, and as bolt-ons, ADR (for Tankers)
HI-AB, and a forklift course,(Moffett Mounty ?).

I’m trying to get as much out of the budget as possible, but obviously realise that I might have to re-test in one or both of the driving catagories so the plans may have to be altered to suite.

IF things go as planned, do you think that these are a reasonable choice to go for?

As an ageing wannabe I am open to any advice that you see fit to offer.

P.S Have the Provisional… Do the dreaded Theory later this month.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome Tetley :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I would not be too hasty in going for that lot. Employers are reluctant to take on newbies with a C licence so my advice would be to get one thing at a time and see how each goes before spending loads of dosh on the bits that you are not likely to use for quite a while.

If you want a few training tips, click onto the link in my signature below :slight_smile:

Hmmm … Tetley… the Tea or the Beer :question: :wink: :laughing:

Welcome to the mad house

Where are you based as this may help with some of your questions as relates to what work is in your area

Also you say age

hello and welcome :wink:

Firstly… Thanks for the welcome … No doubt you’ll be getting a load of daft questions from here on…

Secondly… If this post seems to be repeated… Sorry… I had one typed out but in attempting to submit it, it seemed to disapear off into the ether of cyberspace, because it didn’t find its way to the forum.

In reading the comment from ROG. In hindsight, my original post would seem as if I want it all, and I want it now. If I gave that impression I appologise, but would like to explain my reasons.

I have a budget available to me… but this is only available for a period of 2 years.(6months of it have gone already)

C, C+E Obviously would like to try and get them both.

ADR There is a company close to home who have 4 / 5 fairly big petrol stations. They have their own lorries on the road for petrol / heating oil, and speaking to a mate who drives for them, he tells me that they are always looking for part-time drivers, and are willing to give newly qualified drivers a start.

HI-AB Again… Quarry / Blockworks about 5 minutes from the house have adverts in local papers for drives (although of late, they are looking for experience)

Moffett Mounty For no other reason at present than it would be another string to my bow in applying for a job ( and it fits into the budget… at present… so long as no re-tests have to be done!)

As said, I now have 18 months to either use the money, or lose it, so was wondering if any forum members with their experience would think my train of thought was a reasonable one. (as to getting a driving job)

If you think I’d be better maybe going at it differently, then please feel free to offer any suggestions… All welcome.

I appreciate that I may well have to sign up with an Agency to gain a basic experience, but if I can manage to squeeze in as much training as I can before the time limit runs out, it may stand me in better stead to getting employment.

ROG Tetley… As in Tea… a mate gave me the name years ago because of the amount of it I get through (although I’m partial to a pint of the other stuff as well)

Animal Ageing Wannabee? 49 and a quarter.

Once again… Thanks for the replies.

Tetley:
ADR There is a company close to home who have 4 / 5 fairly big petrol stations. They have their own lorries on the road for petrol / heating oil, and speaking to a mate who drives for them, he tells me that they are always looking for part-time drivers, and are willing to give newly qualified drivers a start.

Hi Tetley WELCOME :grimacing:

I see you’re on a budget, so here’s an idea to bring you an ADR licence for just what you need.
You need the following: (As a minimum.)
Core module = 1.5 days [+ 1 exam.]
Flammable liquids (Class 3) module 1.5 hrs [+ 1 exam.]
Tanker module 1.5 days. [+ 1 exam.]

It’ll knock a fair hole in a 5-day week, because you’re doing it a la carte. I’d advise that if the above is the only ADR work you’re considering,then you won’t need any of the other modules. :wink: (Saves your cash.)

You can do this at any time to suit yourself, and it doesn’t matter what driving licence category you have at the moment, because all you need to do an ADR course is a DVLA licence + plus photographic ID if you don’t have the photocard licence. ADR entitlment automatically follows you when you do licence upgrades, so there would be nothing extra to do after you pass your driving test(s.) That might save you some “dead” time whilst waiting for your theory test and medical etc. :wink:
The modules I suggested are sufficient for the job you’ve described, so my suggestion might also save you some cash as well as some time :wink:

If you say which area of the country you’re from, I might be able to suggest an ADR provider in your area.

:grimacing: I hope this advice from a fellow tea-belly helps. :smiley: :wink:

Hi Tetley, I was 50 years of age when I passed my lgv test and wish I had gone for it earlier, as now I am retired, I miss the driving. Although I was working with my partner at the time, it was great doing Portugal each week, same route and just changing trailers each end was a fantastic job and I made many friends along the way. Good luck and enjoy whatever you find. There are too many drivers complaining about their jobs, but maybe they are not willing to work long hours or have not found the job that suits them.

Thanks for the replies folks…

Dieseldave… Based in Northern Ireland… I’ve been in touch with a few of the bigger Training Companies… and got lists of what they can provide… I’ve also been ‘advised’ to avoid one or two others… (Very short notice cancellation of traing days / tests etc due to a fault with the lorry… Training Instructor off sick blah blah)

Didn’t know that I could take the ADR before lorry training… I thought it would be a 'follow-on’requirement. (Something new learnt)

3 Day ADR for Flammable Liquids is £370 5 Day for liquid and Packages is £730 ( This is with Transport training services, close to our main Airport at Aldergrove)… I think I might just try the 3 Day and have cash in reserve, in case anything else crops up.

At the minute I have my Provisional Licence, and am due to do the Theory and HPT in 10 days or so. (Theory going well, just trying not to hype myself up about the other.)

Trying to keep a few bob of the budget in reserve in case of re-tests on the driving Cats. etc. so I’ll wait and see if I can get through them first before I make any definate plans on the other bolt-ons I am hoping to do.

Scanialady142 Thankyou for your kind wishes. Long hours don’t bother me, I enjoy driving so I’m looking forward to it, whatever comes along. Hope you’ve settled into retirement OK.

Once again thanks for the replies.

Tetley:
Dieseldave… Based in Northern Ireland…

I didn’t know that Tetley the rules are slightly different in NI compared to the mainland.
Apologies in advance if I’ve confused you.
If you need other info, I do have access to a guy who knows the NI Regs. :wink:

49 and a quarter.

So you will be OVER 49 this year like me then :unamused: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: