Advice

was wondering if i had a case here against a old company,

left the company on 26/6/10 after doing one weeks lie time,been told as they did not download my digi card that my last weeks pay will be sent out with my holiday pay due to me with my p45,used to be paid bacs and not waiting on a cheque to arrive at the house,
am looking at advice if i go to citizen advice or straight to a solicitor am not a member if any unions.

curly:
was wondering if i had a case here against a old company,

left the company on 26/6/10 after doing one weeks lie time,been told as they did not download my digi card that my last weeks pay will be sent out with my holiday pay due to me with my p45,used to be paid bacs and not waiting on a cheque to arrive at the house,
am looking at advice if i go to citizen advice or straight to a solicitor am not a member if any unions.

Why did they not download from your Driver card, did you make the card available for download ?

This could have a bearing on whether or not you should take things any further.

How long were you with the company and did they let you go or did you let them go ■■

A case for what exactly?

If they’re sending out a cheque with your week in hand, holiday pay etc, what’s the problem?

In my experience it is often the case that final pay is a cheque. They have to sort out holiday pay, week in hand, tax and NI; and it all has to be right because it is hard to correct later.

I too can’t see the problem…

my card was available for download,
it was my choice to leave,
fair do’s if they do hold back my holiday pay but weeks lie time is hours i have done and money that am due

Just don’t waste your time with solicitors or CAB. They will tell you - just be patient, and only take action if it hasn’t turned up in a month or so.

Also - if you start ringing your ex employer up and giving them grief they will make you wait as long as they can.

newmercman:
A case for what exactly?

If they’re sending out a cheque with your week in hand, holiday pay etc, what’s the problem?

:confused:

If the pay was usually paid by BACS then I see no reason why the last weeks pay would not be paid by the same method, if as said the card was readily available for download then I see no reason why the company would use that as an excuse for holding up payment.

There’s really no reason why the last weeks pay should be paid at the same time as the holiday pay and the P456.

It has to be said though that by the time you are able to do anything you will likely have the money owed.

Am I missing something here, with the download part maybe, did this work as a kind of clocking in/out card?

I’m not in favour of it, but think it’s common practice for settlement wages to be paid by cheque, especially if there’s a bonus or anything involved, sure it’s a PITA, effectively you have no money until the cheque is paid in & clears, unless you have savings to dip into it could be a sticky few weeks :cry:

newmercman:
Am I missing something here, with the download part maybe, did this work as a kind of clocking in/out card?

I’m not in favour of it, but think it’s common practice for settlement wages to be paid by cheque, especially if there’s a bonus or anything involved, sure it’s a PITA, effectively you have no money until the cheque is paid in & clears, unless you have savings to dip into it could be a sticky few weeks :cry:

I wasn’t sure if the card had been made available for download and the company was being awkward because it hadn’t.
I’ve been paid by BACS at several firms but never had to wait for a cheque when I left.

Common practice for the settlement wages to be paid by cheque when wages are normally paid by BACS ?
That has not been my experience :confused:

I think it depends on the size of the company, but when I left Merc they paid me by cheque, which was a royal pain in the arse as I had closed everything down ready for my move to Canada, ended up having to go to the bank with every bit of paperwork I had & they let me put it in my Sister’s account, I had my own lorries preceeding working for them & if anyone left me, I paid them up in full at the end of the week in hand period, so it’s my only experience of it (final payment by cheque) but I’m sure Merc aren’t the only ones that do it, I assume that’s the case here :wink: