Advice please Re assessment and interview

Hi all have as stated a assessment and interview next week at Goole any hints or tips please as a new driver its hard to get a job full time cheers Ed

Stobarts ?

Kirk Ella 71:
Hi all have as stated a assessment and interview next week at Goole any hints or tips please as a new driver its hard to get a job full time cheers Ed

Take your time, dont drag it out thou, Drive like youre taking your test for the licence

Ask questions, for instance Ask the assessor what is the company policy on coupling and un coupling, You’ll be surprised on how varied it is between major companies

You maybe asked to reverse onto a Bay, Always take time esp if its a blind side reverse
good luck

check trailer height, and look in the back to ‘check’ the load.

Yes stobbarts and thanks for your help the check height is that the overall height or from ground for 5th wheel or both and for the check in the back I do that at the mo so I can see what’s in there and if secured fully ie if sheets of board will take corners more easily so not to allow them to slide and cause me trouble

happysack:
check trailer height, and look in the back to ‘check’ the load.

you can’t check in the back when there loaded,the trailers are sealed & have a number on them that the store must verify when you deliver there.

just drive carefully,do all your walk round checks thoroughly,make sure everything is working.check operation of the tail lift if you have a tesco trailer,if your doing a store delivery make sure all the relevant seals match up.when you couple up make sure you do a good 2 tug tests to ensure it’s coupled up right.
if you do a trailer swop & it’s a stobart trailer make sure you put the trailer brkae on.

Tacho or digi in first to record the safety checks.Check the oil and water,on some newer models the oil level is electronically on the dash,no dip stick.Scroll through the menu on the steering wheel.

toby1234abc:
Tacho or digi in first to record the safety checks.Check the oil and water,on some newer models the oil level is electronically on the dash,no dip stick.Scroll through the menu on the steering wheel.

Cheers all how would I know or is it just the obvious missing dip stick or would they tell me if I asked them

Just say to the assessor “What’s the score mate, is it the usual £50?” and if he says Yes, just tuck the £50 note in the Q & A sheet he will give you to fill in towards the end of the assessment.

Harry Monk:
Just say to the assessor “What’s the score mate, is it the usual £50?” and if he says Yes, just tuck the £50 note in the Q & A sheet he will give you to fill in towards the end of the assessment.

A lot of people don’t like £50 notes as awkward to get rid of I’m maybe better taking 2 x £20 plus a £10 or just get on with it

You could spent ages looking for a missing oil dipstick,if the firm is a good one,they should tell you,i went looking for it on my assesment,and was told it was electronic from the cab,the radiator was too tight to check the water level,he said dont worry about it.As long as you have tried to do the checks.When you are with the same truck all week,most drivers wake up,put the tacho/digi in for 15 mins to record the check,make a cuppa,and fire up the engine ready to roll without doing all checks.In the morning you would see a patch of water or oil,if there was a leak in the night.Trampers know their vehicle,they live in all week.

If on anologue tacho,the paper one,it is easy to put the disc in the wrong way round.

When hooking up or dropping a trailer,think for a few seconds,i used to rush it and make mistakes,slow down,it is not a race or a competition,to hell if other drivers are staring making comments,they had to start the same when they started.
My first international assignment was to collect a loaded trailer from Newhaven dock to ship out with,the legs were too low,the leg winder upper downer handle was not moving with the weight on,on a hgv test they dont say how to sort these problems out for new drivers,think the truck i had,did not have a
suspension i could raise or lower to get under the blooming trailer.

Kirk Ella 71:

Harry Monk:

A lot of people don’t like £50 notes as awkward to get rid of I’m maybe better taking 2 x £20 plus a £10 or just get on with it

i love £50 notes,theyre my fave!!!

andrew.s:
i love £50 notes,theyre my fave!!!

These are even better :wink:

“Just say to the assessor “What’s the score mate, is it the usual £50?” and if he says Yes, just tuck the £50 note in the Q & A sheet he will give you to fill in towards the end of the assessment.”

Do the same for the DCPC just ring around the providers and ask what’s The score for 35 hours training- I think £100 will do nicely. Just send him your driver’s license details and the money when the hours are uploaded!

Ps you can check he’s a provider on the Driver cpc (jaupt) website and check that your hours have been uploaded by contacting the DSA ( Driving standards agency) 01912018112 for a statement of training!!!

who said there is no such thing as a £100 DCPC?

Banquo:
“Just say to the assessor “What’s the score mate, is it the usual £50?” and if he says Yes, just tuck the £50 note in the Q & A sheet he will give you to fill in towards the end of the assessment.”

Do the same for the DCPC just ring around the providers and ask what’s The score for 35 hours training- I think £100 will do nicely. Just send him your driver’s license details and the money when the hours are uploaded!

Ps you can check he’s a provider on the Driver cpc (jaupt) website and check that your hours have been uploaded by contacting the DSA ( Driving standards agency) 01912018112 for a statement of training!!!

who said there is no such thing as a £100 DCPC?

Sounds like a good plan till your DCPC man gets bubbled. Everyone they have ‘trained’ gets their DCPC recinded at the press of a button.

W