Stobart Assessment

Hi guys got a Stobart assessment coming up and although I drive every day,nerves will probably set in,any advice on whats involved and how strict are they?I’m fine and relaxed on my own but on a test or assessment I’m always a bit nervy.
HELP… :smiley: :smiley:

ive posted on here a few times but to help u out,
you do a test which is multiple choice then road signs if you fail the test you fail ( no pressure) the test consists of mainly wtd, tacho rules so if your not upto speed then i would study, then you have a driving assesment which is they take u to your vehicle and you then have to assume your staring work ie do your checks and check the trailer is empty. the unit and trailer will probably be hooked up but if its not there big on using the air suspension th lift and lower trailer dont drop the trailer on it legs lower it, also check trailer height and adjust the height gizmo in cab its usually above passenger door, then just drive safely as you would normally, when you get back after half hour they get you to park on a bay and probably ask you questions, it seems like a driving test but dont worry to much i passed it and hadnt driven an artic for 2 years. also just for a gold star off the assessor take your hi viz off in the cab, if he asks why just tell him it may reflect back at you and limit your view of the road but be warned he may get a stiffy on. i took my own gloves so i looked prepared, dont forget to do your checks properly including oil, water if you dont no were to locate them just ask. goodluck, after a few weeks working for them you will wonder what all the hassle was about and probably jump ship :laughing:

just for a gold star off the assessor take your hi viz off in the cab, if he asks why just tell him it may reflect back at you and limit your view of the road but

as dusty says but this one definately, i worked at sherburn and saw a few guys not even get out the yard because they kept the vest on! also turn up with one!

Thanks for the tips guys,fingers crossed I’ll post how i get on,just don’t want them fussy over the slightest thing just common sense,hopefully don’t get a ‘jobsworth assessor’ :unamused: :unamused:

i know of at least 2 who failed the theory part, they then came back and re-took it, so not alls lost if you fail that part first time

Passed the assessment guys yesterday,yeh it was ok,assessor very easy going good bloke,had to do the theory test then out to the wagon,very surprised that he wanted me to split couple when hitching and un-hitching the trailer,I didn’t think they would want that but he said to do it,anyway final interview went ok,just wait and see now will know next week if got the job.
Ta for the replies. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

FH12Volvo:
Passed the assessment guys yesterday,yeh it was ok,assessor very easy going good bloke,had to do the theory test then out to the wagon,very surprised that he wanted me to split couple when hitching and un-hitching the trailer,I didn’t think they would want that but he said to do it,anyway final interview went ok,just wait and see now will know next week if got the job.
Ta for the replies. :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

nothink wrong with split coupling imo, i no wincanton refused to entertain the idea but it make sense if you hooking up to a fridge its easier and faster than jack knifing it and then coupling it. am still on stobbies books as a casual but havent worked fro them for a good 2 months as i have been working for downtons, you will have to let us no how you get on, if its only fridge work i might have a word with tm about widnes depot but shifts were not to my liking no monday-friday shifts
but well done i told you it wasent that difficult its the theroy that most fail on you will probably get the job if you passed assessment, who was the interview with?

Malcolm was the ops manager who I had interview with and Dave the assessor,both nice guys.Yep no Mon to Fri shifts at the moment,but it’s some depot though,I heard Wincantons don’t split couple,thought Stobarts would be the same,but hey he said no probs it’s easier for some of the bigger guys to couple up rather than struggle,yeah let you know if I get it or not,cheers. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i thought the only test was how to put the tie on…how times change…must admit the uniform would put me off…the drivers look right idiots…same as UPS…so not for me matey.

failed mine…100% in the theory…walk round and veh checks spot on…just the drive…no mistakes,no clipped kerbs, just confidence as i havent drove an artic since i passed 18 momths ago so was a bit nervous,never drove the scania auto nor had i split coupled before…the assesor was a really nice guy an told me to re apply straight away.think i will as it seemed a tidy set up…he said he would have loved to have passed me.i learnt alot though and considering i havent drove an artic in 18 months the drive was as good as i was going to give tbh…however its re lit that burning desire to get on the artics…the feeling that made me get my c+e…i feel im serving my apprenticeship at the moment on the rigid but have that urge to get on now.im going to book a refresher course with the training school or have a word with my boss an see if the company trainer can take me out…but were that mad busy its just time permiting…cant exactly expect him to train me for another company either.you cant buy experience and im going to learn from the experience.

Sorry to hear that Clarkyboy,yeh get re-applying coz now you know what to expect second time round.I’m playing the waiting game now on a phone call.
Good luck and re apply let us know how you get on or pm me.Cheers :smiley: :smiley:

truckyboy:
i thought the only test was how to put the tie on…how times change…must admit the uniform would put me off…the drivers look right idiots…same as UPS…so not for me matey.

I didn’t apply for the fashion of the job,if a job is right for me I will wear anything even my birthday suit…err well maybe :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

clarkyboy:
im going to book a refresher course with the training school

On one of my refresher days, I gave the newbie driver an address to an empty unit on an industrial estate about 30 miles from the training base and let him get on with it - the idea was to be like real life as possible (empty box trailer) so he had to do all the checks, hitch up etc then when he got to the empty unit he had to back up to the shutter door - BLINDSIDE !! - I am nasty :laughing:

That was part of the day - other addresses (maps supplied) followed - especially the one to the Cafe :wink:

If a refresher day, or half day, means driving down easy main roads and reversing around cones then look elsewhere - most schools will do refresher training so it might be an idea to choose one that has a different unit to what you have driven already :bulb:

What are the start times for the Widnes depot. Was offered a start at Appleton one time but they were very vague about start times. Either 5 - 8 in mornings or same in evenings. Also changing each day.

clarkyboy:
failed mine…100% in the theory…walk round and veh checks spot on…just the drive…no mistakes,no clipped kerbs, just confidence as i havent drove an artic since i passed 18 momths ago so was a bit nervous,never drove the scania auto nor had i split coupled before…the assesor was a really nice guy an told me to re apply straight away.think i will as it seemed a tidy set up…he said he would have loved to have passed me.i learnt alot though and considering i havent drove an artic in 18 months the drive was as good as i was going to give tbh…however its re lit that burning desire to get on the artics…the feeling that made me get my c+e…i feel im serving my apprenticeship at the moment on the rigid but have that urge to get on now.im going to book a refresher course with the training school or have a word with my boss an see if the company trainer can take me out…but were that mad busy its just time permiting…cant exactly expect him to train me for another company either.you cant buy experience and im going to learn from the experience.

did he say what you failed on? i thought the assessment i had was a basic drive nothink major

Got the job guys,phone call yesterday,see how it goes now just get in the routine. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

FH12Volvo:
Got the job

WELL DONE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

FH12Volvo:
Got the job guys,phone call yesterday,see how it goes now just get in the routine. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Grats mate, ESL at Crick are recruiting and my application form is in the post, thanks for this thread its got some very useful info for me…especially the bit about the hi-vis…i wouldnt have thought of that in a million years :slight_smile:

Thanks Rog,good luck rockape on your application. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 day induction now isn’t it? Once you get your head around the Isotrak and Paperwork after a couple of weeks the jobs a breeze FH12 :wink: See you at Crick (Karens snack wagon with all them spotters hanging about as you drive back in the yard 1000 points if you hit one)then Lad :laughing: Look out for me in “RUBY SUE” or H5476 Scania