Stobart Assessment @ Aveley depot question?

Hi Guys its not for me this time, but a mate has got an assessment on thurday with steadie eddie @ Aveley depot in Essex, driver trainer is that Matt guy from the Tv prog. :unamused:
Just want to know what he needs to know for the driving part, as i understand that they dont like you to split couple a trailer, although thats the way we did it on DBC, unless you were 7st nothing and could get between the cab & trailer to hook up!! Any tips i can pass on to him about the way Eddie likes it done, apart from Dont Go!!! :slight_smile:
Its a job i suppose and its his first interview since being made redundant along with me @ DBC!

Act professional at all times (ie both hands on wheel, not gesticulating at moronic road uses). They used to like going low under the trailer then using the lift just before the pin connects - (don’t know if they like this still). Do a thorough check of unit and trailer including horn and wipers. Assessor told us in Wakefield when we did it that hardly anyone ever tested horn■■?

And does your mate drive like a â– â– â– â– â– â– ?
If he does and hes on curtainsiders or biomass then hell fit in…

Let’s hope he doesn’t get asked to do a blind side reverse in a rigid :laughing:

As others have said, a good safe professional drive, plenty of mirrors and checking blind spot when pulling away, do your checks thoroughly and he should be fine.

I did mine with him a couple of weeks ago, didn’t do any connecting of trailers.
All we did was a walk round check. Remember to check trailer height, he got me on that.
Then went on road for a 10 min drive, got back and he told me to check my mirrors more.

That was it! Hey presto!

Start next week.

haribo4000:
I did mine with him a couple of weeks ago, didn’t do any connecting of trailers.
All we did was a walk round check. Remember to check trailer height, he got me on that.
Then went on road for a 10 min drive, got back and he told me to check my mirrors more.

That was it! Hey presto!

Start next week.

May I offer my deepest sympathies :frowning:

I was taught, if you couldn’t split couple, you could hook up the pin, hit the shunt, put a sharp angle on and you can then get at the suzi connectors.

BUT, at stobbies, the trailer brake won’t release if red line isn’t on, so that won’t work.

When I did my two days training at Widnes, they make a point of teaching everyone to split couple.

Governor!:
Hi Guys its not for me this time, but a mate has got an assessment on thurday with steadie eddie @ Aveley depot in Essex, driver trainer is that Matt guy from the Tv prog. :unamused:
Just want to know what he needs to know for the driving part, as i understand that they dont like you to split couple a trailer, although thats the way we did it on DBC, unless you were 7st nothing and could get between the cab & trailer to hook up!! Any tips i can pass on to him about the way Eddie likes it done, apart from Dont Go!!! :slight_smile:
Its a job i suppose and its his first interview since being made redundant along with me @ DBC!

the driver trainer stood and watched me split -couple on cpc,he then watched various other drivers split couple up,if and when we change tris we always split couple,ive never had a word said to me about not split coupling ,ive never seen a memo of any description saying you mustnt split couple up,who exactly is saying this at stobarts :question:

Governor!:

ive never had anything to do with matt,but all the lads who had him for cpc/driving assesment to get job say hes alright ,and theyd say if he wasnt

waynedl:
I was taught, if you couldn’t split couple, you could hook up the pin, hit the shunt, put a sharp angle on and you can then get at the suzi connectors.

BUT, at stobbies, the trailer brake won’t release if red line isn’t on, so that won’t work.

You must have bent your fair share of landing legs :smiley:

Let’s hope he doesn’t get asked to do a blind side reverse in a rigid

We were both on the artic at DBC, he was day trunk & i was night trunk!! Im the one thats gone down to a rigid, not many perm jobs around my part of Essex for Class 1, and the drive to Aveley or Tilbury is a bit to far for me with the cost of fuel the way it is and wages as they are, i’ll be worse off,so at the moment im taking a multi drop job with brakes until something comes along :unamused:

Governor!:

Let’s hope he doesn’t get asked to do a blind side reverse in a rigid

We were both on the artic at DBC, he was day trunk & i was night trunk!! Im the one thats gone down to a rigid, not many perm jobs around my part of Essex for Class 1, and the drive to Aveley or Tilbury is a bit to far for me with the cost of fuel the way it is and wages as they are, i’ll be worse off,so at the moment im taking a multi drop job with brakes until something comes along :unamused:

Wasn’t taking the pee out of you, was quoting the stupid narrator on the programme! :laughing:
Good on you for going out and getting a job, plenty would be feeling sorry for themselves rather than picking themselves up and getting on.
Multidrop isn’t bad money for what you have to do and like you say while your working if you want too you can look for something else, easier to get a job when your employed, well I think so anyway.

You never know you might like it :unamused:

Wasn’t taking the pee out of you, was quoting the stupid narrator on the programme!
Good on you for going out and getting a job, plenty would be feeling sorry for themselves rather than picking themselves up and getting on.
Multidrop isn’t bad money for what you have to do and like you say while your working if you want too you can look for something else, easier to get a job when your employed, well I think so anyway.

No Offence taken :wink: Was made redundant last week, had a couple of interviews for class 1 around chelmsford, but both companies wanted me to wear a stetson & 6 guns if you get my drift! So took a job with Brakes @ Bishop Stortford on multi drop work, turns out money will be better than when i was on night trunk for DBC, and im home every night! Although i would prefer to get back onto Class 1 again, but only for the right company, which seem few and far between around here!! :unamused:

Governor!:

Wasn’t taking the pee out of you, was quoting the stupid narrator on the programme!

No Offence taken :wink: Was made redundant last week, had a couple of interviews for class 1 around chelmsford, but both companies wanted me to wear a stetson & 6 guns if you get my drift! So took a job with Brakes @ Bishop Stortford on multi drop work, turns out money will be better than when i was on night trunk for DBC, and im home every night! Although i would prefer to get back onto Class 1 again, but only for the right company, which seem few and far between around here!! :unamused:

Good luck with your new job! You can’t beat being home every night and like you say the money isn’t bad, think of it as free gym membership as it will definitely keep you fit :laughing:

I

Hi Governer, just wondering how you are finding the multi-drop work. Are you doing Cambridge schools? Used to do them myself so of I can be of any help just let me know.

SPLIT COUPLE?? :confused:

Lift trailer off legs before hook up! The rest is the usual guff! They split couple rail boxes and reefers! If your mate is going on general then it’s not necessary unless the trailer is not an SDC one! HTH :wink:

Split coupling cost someone his life one night.

I worked for one of the major multi nationals. Now one of Eddies major customers.

Way back in 1997, a driver in the DC in Dundee, now closed down, went round the back of the yard, backed under a fridge trailer, stopped short of the pin, and got out and started coupling the air lines to the trailer. The trailer was parked on a slight downward slope with no automatic hand brake holding the trailer.

I never saw the resulting photos, but the shunter found him crushed by the fridge unit of the trailer some 20 minutes after he had gone round to collect the trailer. His head and upper torso had been crushed. The man left wife and children.

One of the main reasons for the introduction of automatic handbrakes on trailers was this accident.

Split coupling was then supposedly banned across the DC’s resulting in a disciplinary if you got caught doing it.