Assessment

Hi all,
After 16 months of trying I have finally got an assessment with a local firm this week, non agency, as I’ve never done an assessment before can you guys offer any advise on what to expect and what the assessor is going to be looking for, obviously I’ll be driving like I was on my test but any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

A basic tachograph law test, then maybe hook up to a trailer, drive around the block, come back to their base to unhook the trailer.
Before reversing under the trailer, stop and get out of the cab to check the height to avoid damage, then adjust the height of the suspension.
Before all this a basic daily check of the vehicle, have a look at the road tax and O licence expiry dates.
Check the horn and windscreen wash is working.
Check the mirrors all the time while driving.
Check the height of the trailer matches up to the warning sign in the cab for the height of the trailer.
Check the tyres for cuts and wires.
Get the assesor to check the rear lights are working.

Drive like a learner take your time and stick to the speed limits lol… mirrors mirrors mirrors!

and don’t get caught out like I did… I done an assessment in a tipper last year n the guy I was out with was tellin me to speed up in the quarries etc and also told me to get a bit of speed up before I hit this hill so I wasnt traveling at 5mph at the top. Only for the office to phone me the day after saying how good the drive was etc but I was just a little to fast for them… bloody entrapment I reckon

My current job was a quick question paper on drivers hours, licence check and then a driving assessment lasting about 20-25 minutes. A roads, B roads, d/c and one junction up the motorway, through the high street and back to the yard with an easy reverse onto a loading dock. Drive like you’re on your test and you shouldn’t go wrong.

Good luck !!! :wink:

When checking the engine oil some trucks do not have a dipstick so you will need to check the levels on the dash board when the ignition is on.It does not matter if you have to ask the inductor where to find it.Check the height of the driving seat is how you like it.

Must have done 20 plus assessments during my days as an agency driver, you generally get 2 types of assessor the guy who wants you to pass and will have a chat and tell you where things are if its a new vehicle to you and well the 2nd type the knob who is power crazy and hates you for no rational reason, I hope you get the 1st type and yes just drive with care and attention without over doing it .

On a side note I had an assessment with a large Scottish haulier and the assessor was a mad man telling me to let it run when we were going down hill with a heavy load , he looked shocked when I was pulling the exhaust brake to slow down :open_mouth:

Brownie points for turning off the engine when you stop to save fuel.On a modern engine there is no need to let it idle for too long.The same when starting it.Less idle.Less fuel.Money saved.Jobs kept.

Got the job, class 2 pallet work.

Congrats