Stobart assessment?

I know there isn’t much love for Eddie Stobart on here. However hoping someone on here has done a assessment with them recently. Just need to know what’s involved. Passed my class 1 and 2 a few months ago but haven’t done any driving since. So really nervous as got my assessment next week. Any handy tips would be very much appreciated in particular with the reversing . Thanks

If I was you I’d go to the HGV school you used and do a hours refresher on hooking up and dropping a trailer and some reversing, well worth it if you get the job

If you haven’t done much driving since passing, I would recommend getting some proper training prior to your assessment from your local training school.

Should only cost a few hundred.

Your assessmnet should only be reversing onto a bay / into a parking space I would have thought in regards to going backwards !!

Ex - Stobart driver here … booo lol

Any way, it use to be a written test in a room, then a drive out in a unit with a box trailer, reverse in a space between other lorries in yard or on a bay, and i think a drop and hook up in order :wink: it was a few years ago now so may have changed.

Not done a Stobart assessment, but have done others. Make sure to do all your checks before even thinking about moving the truck, they are all very into their H&S these days! So, POWDER …
Petrol (or diesel in our case - make sure there is enough for the journey, and don’t forget the Adblue if applicable).
Oil - check level (or make sure the computer has checked it for you).
Water - check level of coolant and windscreen washer reservoir.
Damage - check unit and trailer for any signs of damage.
Electrics - Check all lights (not forgetting marker lights on trailer) and horn.
Rubber - Check tyres for wear, bulges and pressure. Don’t forget wheelnuts.

Last but not least, make sure that you are aware of the trailer height, they might spring that question on you after you have moved off.

Yeh remember to check ya pin/clip :wink: and 3 points of contact in and out of cab and trailer :smiley:

Cheers guys some good advise. Pretty much like the test u did when passing ur class1 by the sounds of it. Just got to remember them check lists.

You may need 28 days driving records on your card or they may not even take you out.

romey:
I know there isn’t much love for Eddie Stobart on here. However hoping someone on here has done a assessment with them recently. Just need to know what’s involved. Passed my class 1 and 2 a few months ago but haven’t done any driving since. So really nervous as got my assessment next week. Any handy tips would be very much appreciated in particular with the reversing . Thanks

Just go for it, take your time and do your best - stay calm. And good luck.

They might not be the best outfit in the world to work for, but at least they’re willing to give you a pop at the job.

romey:
Cheers guys some good advise. Pretty much like the test u did when passing ur class1 by the sounds of it. Just got to remember them check lists.

You don’t need to remember them. I don’t think they would have a problem if you pulled out a written “check-list” of all the things you need to do. Better that than trying to store it all in your head and then forget something important, which is all too easy in a stressful situation like an assessment drive.

Thanks. Hoping that being a newbie they won’t be too hard on me,on the assessment. We will see. I’ll keep u informed.

They like you ( or the driver trainer we had) to put your dog clip on before you do your tug test .
They ( him) likesyou to stand by the trailer break for 10 seconds after you’ve knocked it off .
Various drivers have felled there assessments due to not STOPPING at a STOPsign at a junction,4 out of 5 drivers felled there assessment on this alone
Don’t drive with your high viz on .
They like you too drive within the green band but not to keep reving it to the top of the green band ,let it lug .
If you have cars merging on to the carriage way ease off and let them on ,don’t send them down the hard shoulder image is very,very important to them .
If you get out the cab to do anything remove the keys .
If it’s a taut your going too pull make sure all your straps are tucked in/ not flapping in the wind .
Best I can do off the top of my head ,all things they want ,nothing I did.
but things they said about on dcpc .
N.b the lad we had made a big thing of the stopping at a STOP sign ,make sure if you get one you do ,he said instant failure if you don’t STOP .
Best of luck .
And don’t start worrying about the abuse you’ll supposedly get / some claim they do when you work for them,I worked for them for 7 years and never had a word said to me .

Cheers for that Dozy. Some good advise

kavs44:
You may need 28 days driving records on your card or they may not even take you out.

They’re so desperate for drivers that I think as long as you’ve a license, a DQC card and a pulse you’re in. Certainly being able to stay on the motorway as you’re driving down it isn’t a requirement for the Goole depot.

Hello. A good friend of mine his son went for a job just at Warrrington after passing his class 1, He had never driven big stuff but they gave hime a chance.

They asked what did you do your test with, a wagon an drag sir. Would you want an artic or wagon and drag, wagon and drag please and artics later. So that what he drove and loved it. Now after a good few years at it he is now at P/G Skem in the office and shunting.
He says it a good place and never did him any harm whats so ever.
Cheers
Welly

Thank u. Fingers crossed then. Hopefully they will give me a chance

Just think safe and be safe and you should be ok :wink:

Good luck and tell us how it goes please? Where is the assessment?

Everything Dozy said is correct but don’t worry bout that as it will be taught to you on your 2 day induction at Widnes… For assessment just a basic walk round and short drive then back to base and a questionaire to fill in… Stobarts take on newbies so let trainer know … They look for potential not perfection

Once again thanks for all the advise