Stobart assessment?

Various drivers have felled there assessments due to not STOPPING at a STOPsign at a junction

dear oh dear. Is this a indication of how so called professional drivers ignore standard traffic signs.

There is a very good reason why STOP signs are there and it seems like they are ignored as are many of the other rules and regs.

Professional drivers are few and far between theses days. :unamused:

I had an assessment at Stoke Ports last Monday. They seemed decent, friendly people to be honest. Assessment took about an hour and then a quick interview with the transport manager.
Make sure you do your checks and don’t forget to test your horn! I Also got told off for indicating right on a roundabout when I was in the lane for going right. He said I only need to indicate when turning off the roundabout or changing lanes.

I got offered the job but I am waiting it out a little as I have been offered 3 other jobs plus I am hoping for an interview with two others.

The Stoke Ports wasn’t on the Stobart payscales as it’s still on o’connors pay. Paid for 60 hours but do around 55 going to Felixstowe and back each night. Bring home pay was about £440 per week I think.

One other thing. You do two days at the “Academy” in Widnes and those two days count as two modules on your CPC. You also get paid for the assessment. May be worth doing just to get a couple of free CPC modules :smiley:

Hope that helps a little.

Stobarts pay is made up or should i say topped up with some bonuses which if your not careful you can lose :unamused:

WHARTY:
I Also got told off for indicating right on a roundabout when I was in the lane for going right. He said I only need to indicate when turning off the roundabout or changing lanes.

Oh dear! Apart from that glaring error from the assessor I’d like to point out that it’s not his/her job to “tell you off” during an assessment. They are there purely to assess whether or not you are capable of doing the job to a satisfactory standard, not to offer (incorrect) and handy tips on your driving.

Before someone jumps in with something along the lines of “when I did my advanced driving test I was told only to indicate when necessary blah blah blah”, yes I know that is the case, but this is an assessment drive in a HGV so yeah I’d say indicating your intention was pretty important.

WHARTY:
I Also got told off for indicating right on a roundabout when I was in the lane for going right. He said I only need to indicate when turning off the roundabout or changing lanes. :open_mouth:

Hope that helps a little.

Really :question: :open_mouth: :unamused:

This is what the Highway Code Gov.Uk web site says : :unamused:

gov.uk/using-the-road-159-t … 184-to-190

1. Roundabouts (184 to 190)
    On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane. You should

use Mirrors — Signal — Manoeuvre at all stages
decide as early as possible which exit you need to take
give an appropriate signal (see Rule 186, below). Time your signals so as not to confuse other road users

Signals and position ,

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

.signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
.keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
.signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

Hope this helps :grimacing:

Cheers Wharty. Did you have to do any coupling and un-coupling and any reversing exercise?

romey:
Cheers Wharty. Did you have to do any coupling and un-coupling and any reversing exercise?

No coupling or uncoupling as the trucks were already hooked up. Just had to reverse into a bay but loads of space to do it.

the maoster:

WHARTY:
I Also got told off for indicating right on a roundabout when I was in the lane for going right. He said I only need to indicate when turning off the roundabout or changing lanes.

Oh dear! Apart from that glaring error from the assessor I’d like to point out that it’s not his/her job to “tell you off” during an assessment. They are there purely to assess whether or not you are capable of doing the job to a satisfactory standard, not to offer (incorrect) and handy tips on your driving.

Before someone jumps in with something along the lines of “when I did my advanced driving test I was told only to indicate when necessary blah blah blah”, yes I know that is the case, but this is an assessment drive in a HGV so yeah I’d say indicating your intention was pretty important.

I wanted to tell him to be honest but just thought I would go along with it. It was a roundabout that had a painted arrow pointing right so he said I didn’t need to indicate as it’s obvious which way I am going. I didn’t like that to be honest as it doesn’t take into consideration other road users who may not be familiar with the roundabout. I will still indicate and show my intentions no matter what the assessor says. :smiley:

Thanks Wharty.

Stobarts way or no way :neutral_face:

Fair play Romey, as long as you know how to do it properly that’s all that counts.

the maoster:

WHARTY:

In cases like this it is probably the fact the person doing the assessment is not properly qualified.Too many companies use their favourite driver to do assessments and unfortunately they do not know the proper rules and talk bollox.

Any driver going for an assessment should ask if the person is properly qualified.

albion1971:
Any driver going for an assessment should ask if the person is properly qualified.

Fair point, and in an ideal world I’d totally agree. Problem here is a lot of folk like the op are relatively inexperienced new starters and where you or I wouldn’t be afraid to pose the question I’d take a guess that they’d be unwilling to start rocking the boat even before they’ve got the job.

the maoster:

albion1971:

Fair point, and in an ideal world I’d totally agree. Problem here is a lot of folk like the op are relatively inexperienced new starters and where you or I wouldn’t be afraid to pose the question I’d take a guess that they’d be unwilling to start rocking the boat even before they’ve got the job.

Yep understand totally what you are saying and of course you are quite correct.It is a shame when drivers are not given a proper chance because of an incompetent assessor.
By the way I am not saying that some drivers are not capable of assessing because they are but unfortunately a job like that sometimes goes to their head making them believe they are the best thing since sliced bread.Of course the same can be said for qualified assessors.
Its just not a fair world sometimes.

Ghost01:

Yes,I do remember being asked if I’d heard of zip merging ,yes I have you move too the middle of the lanes too block the que jumpers ,he nearly blew a fuse :laughing: :laughing: ,raving and ranting that wasn’t the stobart way of doing things :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: .

Unfortunately didn’t get the job had my assessment yesterday. Messed up on the reversing into a bay. Driving was fine. It’s been 3 months since a passed my test it was first time I’d driven a truck since the test. Does anyone know any good video’s on you tube re reversing. Or any handy hints from anybody on here.

romey:
Unfortunately didn’t get the job

Not what you’ll want to hear right now, but seriously, you will see this as a good thing eventually.

dozy:

Ghost01:

Yes,I do remember being asked if I’d heard of zip merging ,yes I have you move too the middle of the lanes too block the que jumpers ,he nearly blew a fuse :laughing: :laughing: ,raving and ranting that wasn’t the stobart way of doing things :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: .

Who took you for the test drive ?