Advice on 45 yr olds medical please guys

Hi Folks

What a great site ,just found it.

Anyway ill cut to the chase I have class one licence and am 45 mid may so need a medical,does anyone know what the medical consists of and what are the time limits ,
1do I have to have the medical before my birthday

2.can I still drive while awaiting decision from swansea the reason I ask someone told me that because I have had anti depresants twice in the last twelve months Swansea will not give me my licence back.(dont worry I am fine now) :imp: :smiling_imp:

Can anyone tell me is it better to go one of the medical options on the site you guys have mentioned or my GP he wants 100 quid to do it.

thecoder0

welcome to trucknet :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

take the £38 one its a piece of cake

Hi thecoder0, welcome to TruckNet UK.

1. I think you have to have your medical before your 45th birthday, because your licence will run out on that date. Driving after it has run out will be an offence, after all, you no longer have the licence. So basically you need to have your medical and get your licence renewed before it runs out.

2. Its a fairly basic medical examination and I think your mate is winding you up about taking anti-depressants. Unless you have a reportable level of clinical depression, in which case you would already be off the road, you have got nothing to worry about. IMHO.

3. You can go to what ever medic you prefer. If you are happy to pay your GP £100, go to him. If you would prefer to spend your cash on beer or whatever else takes your fancy, go to one of the medics on the sites we recommend. Its your cash, spend it however you like. Don’t try to cover up anything though, if you are found out you could face an even bigger bill than £100.

Link to DVLA medical stuff

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/at_a_glance/content.htm

It’s a piece of cake, I sailed through mine and I have various things wrong with me as I don’t do doctors and health stuff and just let whatever happens happen.

The doctor will fiddle about with your limbs, check blood pressure, check eyesight and ask a lot of questions about have you had this or do you get that. That’s about it.

OH, they will also get you to whizz in a small plastic bottle, I think that is to check your aim and see if you are still eligible to do nights out or not. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s just a wallet biopsy.

Coffeeholic:
OH, they will also get you to whizz in a small plastic bottle, I think that is to check your aim and see if you are still eligible to do nights out or not. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve got my medical in 12 months time - do you think I should start practising with the plastic bottle ? :laughing:

same as mine for 50 just keep taking the tablets

do you think I should start practising with the plastic bottle

the mind boggles :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

neil46:

the mind boggles :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Its to test for Diabetes Neil :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Would’nt be so bad if they gave you a bottle with a bigger neck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Davey Driver:

neil46:

Its to test for Diabetes Neil :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Would’nt be so bad if they gave you a bottle with a bigger neck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

have you tried tesco’s six pint milk carton,necks plenty big enuff

One of my colleages delivered a 5 gallon container of some kind of detergent the other day, it was distinctly apple juice coloured.

As he was loading it on his van i called him a dirty â– â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  and asked why he couldnt just find a public loo or use a bush :laughing:

Yeah medical is pretty basic, i took a sample with me, they advised me to when i booked it. Frankly it could have been anyones! :unamused:

Has your GP actually quoted you £100? Might be worth asking him/her especially if you been with them a long time. At the end of the day it’s only beer money to them and they might well do it for nowt during a lunch break or something. Only takes about 10 min.

Coffeeholic:

Read that just as i had taken a swig of wine…

Now my monitor need a clean :unamused:

Davey Driver:

neil46:

I usually found Lucozade 500ml bottles were quite handy :wink: :wink: :wink:

its just bad that you have to cut the bottom of the bottle to fit it in :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This has got me thinking. I took my class C July 2004, 1 month after my 44th birthday, and my C+E last October 4 months after my 45th. Obviously I had a medical to get my provisional in June 2004 (aged 43 - just!), but haven’t had one since.

My licence says its valid for these classes until July 2009, but I will be 46 in June. Does that mean I have driving Illegally for the last 9 months?

No, you have been legal, don’t worry.

Thanks, guessed it would be OK but thought I’d ask.

I shall just have to remember to get my next medical when I’m 49 and not 50!

Do you know if the DVLA send out a reminder when your licence is due to expire?

clarkpeacock:
Do you know if the DVLA send out a reminder when your licence is due to expire?

Yes they notify you about 3 months in advance, which is one of the reasons you need to make sure you’ve got the right address registered with them :wink: :wink:

clarkpeacock:
This has got me thinking. I took my class C July 2004, 1 month after my 44th birthday, and my C+E last October 4 months after my 45th. Obviously I had a medical to get my provisional in June 2004 (aged 43 - just!), but haven’t had one since.

My licence says its valid for these classes until July 2009, but I will be 46 in June. Does that mean I have driving Illegally for the last 9 months?

The medical is valid for five years (until you reach 65), it doesn’t matter that you went over the age of 45 within this period.

Make sure he/she warms his/her hands before he/she gets to the bit where he/she says cough. :open_mouth: