Hi and Medical (whats involved)

Hello everybody, I am considering undertaking training for class C and I am curious as to what the medical involves?

Any info would be great, thanks

Hello lancs123 :slight_smile:

It’s been a while since my medical so can’t remember the exact details but this link to the DVLA tells you what they are looking for:

dvla.gov.uk/at_a_glance/content.htm

My doctor was quite thorough, I think, certainly took over an hour…

Usual stuff like blood pressure, eye test, poking and prodding, not forgetting one up the backside :unamused:

Questions regarding family history along the lines of heart desease…

And of course a urine sample :wink:

To add, the medical does not have to be done by your own GP, there is a link in the ‘useful links’ section of this site for a company that does them for £38.

From what i’ve read it varies.

Some doctors do more than others.

Basically it boils down to the individual doc’s opinion as to whether you’re fit to drive.

I guess if you went along as a slim 18 year old, they would be less exhaustive than if you went along as an over weight 50 year old.

Mine only took about 15min (i’m 26)

I’m 23 and I just don’t fancy a thorough seeing too if you know wha I mean :open_mouth:

lancs123:
I’m 23 and I just don’t fancy a thorough seeing too if you know wha I mean :open_mouth:

Hiya lancs123 and welcome to Trucknet! :wink: :sunglasses:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Don’t panic there is no rubber gloves and
“Would you like to bend over Sir!!!” :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
It’s all straight forward as everybody has said it blood presure and reflexes ect. :wink:

not all doctors are male though are they! :wink:

Ladytrucker679:

lancs123:

Steve_24v did, according to his post :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Check around as prices vary. Mine took about an hour and cost one hundred and ten sodding quids :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . I think she was testing how my heart stood up to shocks

I got mine free from First Bus. :wink:

The doctor just read through the form prempting my answers with “no you won’t have that, will you”.

Try here m8, www.cotswoldmedicals.co.uk
I had my 5 year renewal medical done here. They have places all over country. Straightforward medical, eye test, blood pressure, urine sample, standing with arms outstretched with eyes closed, and that was it!! Took 15 minutes max. Only cost £38, my own GP wanted £108 :open_mouth:

So how often do you have to have a medical, i’ve heard some say every 5 years and other say you have one when you apply for your licence then not another until you’re 45?

How do you know when it’s due, do the DVLA send you a form?

dennisw1:
So how often do you have to have a medical, i’ve heard some say every 5 years and other say you have one when you apply for your licence then not another until you’re 45?

How do you know when it’s due, do the DVLA send you a form?

You’re licence is valid until you’re 45 then you require another medical to renew it, then every 5 years after that. Over 65 requires annual renewal.

Ladytrucker679:

steve_24v:
not forgetting one up the backside :unamused:

Sorry steve but i think you best have words with your Doc :wink: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Thanks for all the info guys and girls :smiley:

I will check out the cheaper medical offers too. I will keep all informed how I get on.
:smiley:

Be careful how you fill out the form. Theres a section asking how many units of alcohol you drink per week.

A couple of years ago a friend of mine went for his medical & when the doctor came to the section on alcohol he asked how many units he drank, my friend said he had 2 or 3 cans each night after work whilst watching TV.

Nothing more was said everything seemed fine, the doctor filled out his part of the form & gave it back to my mate… it was only when he got outside the surgery & checked that he noticed the doctor had put “ALCOHOL DEPENDENT” on the form!

To say he was a little miffed is an understatement. Needless to say he didn’t send that form to the DVLA but paid for another medical at another doctor with a suitably modified form.

I don’t know if doctors have guidelines from the DVLA on how much alcohol is permitted or if it’s just each doctors opinion but it’s not worth being too honest if you know what I mean :wink:

EWWWWWWWW been along time since i had my medical, cant rember the one up the r`s, but only 7 yrs till i need another so if thats the case ewwww. only check blood pressure, eyes, guts for hernias i presume.

CM:

Ladytrucker679:

lancs123:

Steve_24v did, according to his post :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, but what he didn’t tell us is that he had to pay “Extra” for that bit of the medical. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

not forgetting one up the backside <----- what? lol, mine too 35 mins, all they done to me was blood pressure, eyes, ears, stomach, legs that was it, listened to my chest and that was it, apart from peeing into a bottle at 8.15am in the morning in the surgery toilets,lol, i know they check your pee for drugs and alcohol, but never have i been probed?lol, then usual questionaire about family history, and if i’d ever had a labotomy (as if)

so just go with the flow m8, just an MOT for ya body really, nothin to worry about

OH and i found out my eyesight is better without glasses…lol so i binned them :stuck_out_tongue: