advice needed

Ok so I went for an interview today for a job they seem really nice people and I think I will like the job, my dilemma is this the wage is quite low and I have to spend around £30 a week on petrol to get to work and back which I have worked out after rent and bills I’m not going to have alot left but there is quite abit of over time now how do I stand on driving hours if I say I want to work Saturdays as well ?
I find Tacho hours confusing regarding over time and just looking to see if I can do this or not
The work it self is 8am start to 5pm finish on a Hi-ab class 2 but somedays I might not get back till 6pm so how many hours am I aloud to work + drive ?
Am I only aloud to drive 45 hours in a week but this does not include stopping times i.e unloading ? The 45hours is only driving time not working time am I right ?
Just trying to work out how I can do more hours to make the wage up and work my finances out as I think I have got the job any help appreciated thanks

Max drive per week is 56 hours! 4x9 hour drive + 2x 10 hours! But in the following week you can only drive for 34 hours! i.e 90 hours drive a fortnight! As for shift time the absolute max is 15 hours x3 a week the normal is 13 hours per day i.e 13 hours work 11 hours daily rest! If you do 15 hour shift then you reduce to 9 hours daily rest. I hope you are not frazzled already! :laughing:

Thanks for that I think I’m getting it now :laughing: Just never had to worry about overtime before always done 7am or 8am-5pm and knew where I stood, at the end of the day some money is better then none and if the overtime is there I say take it if it makes life easier

keebs26uk:
how do I stand on driving hours if I say I want to work Saturdays as well ?

As a “general” rule, you could only work every other Saturday in order to comply with the weekly rest requirements.

keebs26uk:
driving time not working time

Driving time “IS” driving time

Have a read of this: http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/drivershoursgoods.pdf

kayvee:
Have a read of this: http://www2.dft.gov.uk/pgr/freight/road/workingtime/drivershoursgoods.pdf

I noticed even your link has a disclaimer!! :laughing:

well done on the job mate, if your on builders merchant delivery or similar, an assumption on what you describe, then i doubt you’ll ever have to worry on drivers gross hour. just keep an eye on your breaks :wink:

dessy:
As for shift time the absolute max is 15 hours x3 a week

Between weekly rest periods.

keebs26uk:
The work it self is 8am start to 5pm finish on a Hi-ab class 2 but somedays I might not get back till 6pm

Your shifts are going to be 9 or 10 hours a day and you won’t be driving all of that so neither the weekly or fortnightly driving limit will affect you. You are only going to be doing 40 - 45 hours duty a week and that won’t all be work as there will be 30 - 45 minutes break a day at least so you are going to get nowhere near the WTD limits. Apart from making sure you don’t do more than 4.5 hours driving with out a break, or breaks, totalling 45 minutes and you don’t do more than 6 hours work, driving and other work, without a 15 minute break it would be very difficult to pick up any infringements on that work.

dessy:

kayvee:

I noticed even your link has a disclaimer!! :laughing:

That’s because it just a guide book, a bit like the Highway Code is, and not the actual legislation. It has about as much legal standing as advice given on here. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

dessy:

keebs26uk:
The work it self is 8am start to 5pm finish on a Hi-ab class 2 but somedays I might not get back till 6pm

Your shifts are going to be 9 or 10 hours a day and you won’t be driving all of that so neither the weekly or fortnightly driving limit will affect you. You are only going to be doing 40 - 45 hours duty a week and that won’t all be work as there will be 30 - 45 minutes break a day at least so you are going to get nowhere near the WTD limits. Apart from making sure you don’t do more than 4.5 hours driving with out a break, or breaks, totalling 45 minutes and you don’t do more than 6 hours work, driving and other work, without a 15 minute break it would be very difficult to pick up any infringements on that work.

So in theory as long as I do what I’m used to and keep to the above I should easily be able to work 2 Saturdays a month (Saturdays being 8am-1pm) as alot of my time wont be actual driving, I suppose you just got to keep print outs every week and work out how may hours I have drove etc

keebs26uk:

Coffeeholic:

dessy:

keebs26uk:

So in theory as long as I do what I’m used to and keep to the above I should easily be able to work 2 Saturdays a month (Saturdays being 8am-1pm)

Easily

keebs26uk:
I suppose you just got to keep print outs every week and work out how may hours I have drove etc

No, no need for printouts unless you have to explain a deviation from the rules. Even in the weeks you work a Saturday you won’t do 40 hours driving. You can also check how many hours you have driven in the fortnight by looking at the tacho display. With the truck stopped press the down arrow once. The figure in the bottom left is your driving for the fortnight.

If I was doing that job I would never bother checking my total driving or working time for the week or fortnight as I am not going to get close to the limits.

ok thats a great help thanks :grimacing: