Opinion Please

Im currently in a job that pays no overtime, my start times are all over the place here are my times from last week:

MOnday 10am start
Tue 3am
wed 3am
thur 1pm
fri 3am

We get a set rate of £8 ph no bonuses no ot no higher rate for weekend work, Ive been doing this for 6 months now im starting to feel shattered sll the time now even at the weekends when im off. I used to love driving and have driven for a living for the last 15 years ive got ot a point now where i hate the thought of work let alone working.

Heres my dilema do i quit my job go do agency work while im looking for another job or do i stick it outr while im looking. Will ibe able to make enough money on agency work to pay bills ect?

any comments would be appriciated.

are you tramping?, if not what type of work are you doing and what are your finishing times? if you started at 10 on monday then hopefully you finished at 6pm in order for you to take at least a reduced rest, personally i would hunt around during your time off for another job, ive got a wife nd daughter mate so i know it can be a worry packing ajob in but if your not happy and knackerd then it aint doing your health any good…pete

If those times are genuine then they stink. Did you only have a 5 hour shift on Thursday?

I used to love driving and have driven for a living for the last 15 years ive got ot a point now where i hate the thought of work let alone working.

That, more than anything else, says it’s time to get another job. In 15 years you must know it’s a (zb) take and there is better available.

Good luck mate.

kiwipower:
I used to love driving and have driven for a living for the last 15 years ive got ot a point now where i hate the thought of work let alone working.

Been there. When it gets to that point it’s time to get out.

kiwipower:
Heres my dilema do i quit my job go do agency work while im looking for another job or do i stick it outr while im looking. Will ibe able to make enough money on agency work to pay bills ect?

Really does depend on where in the country you are, and what you are prepared to do.

At this time of year all agencies are looking to get new drivers on their books and you shouldn’t be short of work. The art is to choose the right agency(s) so that in the new year you will have at least two days work a week.

If you post your area someone who is local to you should be able to give you more detailed info on the local agencies and the work they can offer - and how good they are. :wink:

Stan

advert on my orange phone for sales managers ,50k , im belling them up , might be worth a try if your on orange , cant be that hard ,

Watch out some agencies pay a basic rate & no overtime, I chatted to another agancy driver today & was shocked to find he gets a flat rate @ all times. Anywyas to cut a long story short he’s gonna sign on with my agancy & carry on doing the same job & hell be better off.

But

As always the work will drop of afer cristmast so I’m waiting to see what will happen.
Different aganct, different contract, different year,Still driving!!!

Put your health first mate. Sounds bad them hours. I regular start at 4 am but am done between noon and 13.30…

Depends on how much you rely on the regular money mate , wether you should jack, Im on agency currently, getting min 4 day some 6 day weeks, yet it pays better than your average employed job (cos you get time and a half after 8 hrs !!! and sat s and double bubble sundays !!! ) not that i want to work sundays, yet i am doing upto xmas to get the cash in.
Its worth considering agency work mate even if a temporary measure, you will have more time spare too to source other work if its quiet !!!

Good Luck. :laughing:

Same as Jon Lad get out now

w t d has not made your job better then. bin the job then tell your mp why

originol reply was CENSORED by admin :question: (nothing nasty) :question:

scania245:

are you sure you remembered to click the submit button :question:

Denis F:

scania245:

are you sure you remembered to click the submit button :question:

no dennis im new to this :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for all the advice. After much though ive decided to quit my job. Went to an agency today offered me work straight away its only 7.5 tonne work next week but they said as i have my class 2 they will pay me 7.75 an hour time and a half after 8 hours cant be to bad .

I’m normally a very loayal worker and try my best to work round problems at work but im not letting these so called emloyers i worked for ruin my love of driving.; I really do love driving ill drive anything and evrything.

Again thanks a lot for all your advice.