ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Today daf wanted to inspect my part exchange(xf480 superspsace 2003).Having looked at the lorry for about 10 mins salesman gave me strange look and asked me when i imported it i gave him a stranger look saying"what" after a while he took me to his office(no he didnt bend me over his desk) and when on the Daf main computor to look up my lorry,no info on lorry from daf uk so looked for it in europe.well found it.was first registered 2002 in germany then de-registered in germany 2002 then no more info?.Plate in cab says first registered 1/2/2003 in this country.NOw my problem is when i bought the lorry i was told it was first registered 1/2/2003 and sold as a 2003 lorry and had just finished a lease contract with daf,daf have no record about this(germany or uk)was never told it was a “grey import” and never told it had been registered in a other country.The other problem i have now is the lorry has never been in workshop for any recalls( x1 airline x2 steering x1 lift axle) and the big one as its a “grey import” its worth less than a uk surpled one(2 dealerscomform this.Daf & merc. ).So i have paid for a 2002 at 2003 prices around £5000 difference .What i want to know should the dealer who sold me this lorry told me it was a "grey import"and had been used/registed in a other country.i now know he lied about year and about lease.
Can a make a claim for some kind for the loss of monies due to the above and should i report him for giving me misleding info(description).
Sorry this is so long but this has realy [zb] me off.
P.S log book says first date in uk 1/2/2003 but nowt about being register else where

sorry, while I might agree with you, it still has to be edited! You know if it needs stars its going to go !!..Denis F

have you got anything in writing from the dealer you bought it from ? how was it described on the invoice?

Did you buy it from a Daf franchised dealer or from someone like Kelberg or Eurotrucks in kent. Is it RHD ?

Detail on sales invoice
MAKE DAF
MODEL XF 95 Superspace cab 480
DATE FIRST REGISTERED 02/2003

Bought from a well know independent dealer in kent.not the one’s you said.
yes it’s RHD.the only difference is its got a black dash surround not wood but daf listed this as a optional extra

sounds like you need legal advice :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

from trading standards central

What does the law require?

Any descriptions of goods and services, given by a person acting in the course of a trade or business, should be accurate and not misleading.

It should be noted that to commit an offence, the description must be false to a material degree, e.g. has a significant impact on a purchaser’s ability to enjoy and/or use the goods/services, or a significant effect on their value. The Act is not intended to cover insignificant inaccuracies; ultimately only a court can decide what would constitute a material degree.

so do i.
informing lease company tomorrow first thing.the still belongs to them till i make last payment (july). new truck now coming september if i can find extra monies i need now

the thing is i thought it funny as the dealer who sold me the lorry always buy’s my lorry back(last 4 times) but this time didnt even want to see it and kept putting me off coming down to see him.i left a message with his work partner about 13.00 today with the things i have found out and now he will not take my calls

Sue him and inform DAF UK HQ, toerags.

Doing the job I do I am envolved with the registration of vehicles that come into the UK from else where.

When we complete the required V55/5 form to get a UK plate number we have to declare the date of manufactor. WHen the V5c is issued to shows the date of 1st registration in the UK and also the “declared date of manufactor”.

If you need more detailed info PM me.

UP DATE.
today tracked down first owner.had long chat.he bought the the lorry as “a brand new lorry” no previous owners.from a well known lorry and trailer company in oxfordshire.as stated on the sales invoice he faxed me it states new and he had a shock when i told him i have tracked down the first owner in Germany(a lease company)who registered it then de-registered in Germany 4 months before he bought the truck.then in feb the Oxford company registered it in the UK as a brand new lorry never registered or used before.they also informed and lead him to beleave it was a UK lorry and he is the first owner.
I have now the German registation number the lease company in germany.Aiso found out the lorry had warranty work done in the UK by a main DAF dealer using this registion and this was 3 weeks before he bought the lorry.
The dealer does not want to no anything about the lorry say he didnt no but as said before he has bought all my lorries before will not buy this lorry from me .
I have now infored my lease company and trading standards and both have agreed the lorry i have is not as described in sales info or sales invoice.
I HPI the truck today and it states the truck has never been imported or exported but DAF Germany and Barnes DAF in Oxford(not surppier dealer) know differant

Good luck with persuing this. I think the dealer where you bought the truck from must be living on borrowed time - your not the first TNUK member who had problems with a DAF XF that wasn’t what it was supposed to be. :unamused:

Edited because I misunderstood a previous post. :blush:

The dealer i bought it from is not far from J11 M20 near Folkstone Kent

I think that you will find the leasing company will be your strongest ally.

These financial institutions don’t take to having the " whatsit " taken out of them.

trading standars now looking into both dealers.the one that sold it as a new lorry is known to them and the so called first owner is backing me up as he feel he has been misled too.Got meeting will head manager of lease company today(will up date)he has said i what i have told them plus paper work faxed to them we have both been conned

I think the best is to get Trading Standards and the Lease company to get onto the dealer and sort things out.

Surely selling at item as NEW when it is USED is illegal.

If I bought a pair of jeans and they were sold as new but I found they were used - ie bought then returned and resold I would go to Trading Standards.

I mate of mine bought a car that had been “clocked” and Trading Standards hammered the dealer!! Could you say this truck was “clocked” because what mileage did it show when you collected it?

I am not a legal expert but all I would be interested in would be some form of compensation up to about £6K. Doesn`t matter if the dealer gets whacked by the authorities as long as you are recompensed for the resale value of the truck & the time & trouble it has to persue your claim. Maybe a decent brief would be in order…/// Keep your eye on the Money…//

Heres a joke.DaF main dealer will not buy it as its a"grey" and cant sell it but have to sale through a third party.now heres joke its only worth £16k-£19k top wack.Please tell were you can buy a 2003 superspace for this kind of money? if i could buy them at this price i wouldnt be in road haulage

P.S
that makes a loss of about £20k ia year so in 2 years time it would be worth around -£10k.do they give them away free after that with oil filters?

i read this thread yesterday, and felt sorry for the guy telling the tale.

Today I went to look at a 2003 superspace that was for sale, and noticed where the vinyl’s were removed the truck had sported a dutch firm and address on it.
Checked the ministry plate and it was dated 22/4/2005 (less than 3 weeks) and niticed that the new number plates had a certain company mentioned in this thread’s name on it.
In the drivers side storage locker was a dutch number plate that had been taken off the truck.

When I saw all this, this thread went through my mind and i got in the car and drove off… sod that