DAF turbos.

Ive done a search on here already and can see there were issues with turbos on DAFs which they were aware of but just wondered what age/mileage trucks this problem occurred with? Surely it must have been a whole batch of s certain year that were trouble?

Reason I ask is that my 08 has now clocked up 550000km although I’m sure when i rung the garage that maintained it before I bought it they said it had been done. Also I’ve a mate who’s been to look at a 12 plate 105 and he’s not sure if thats been done. Was it a recall on them or was it a case of finding out for yourself?

Cheers
Matt

call the local dealer, give them the reg number and ask them if the turbo has been changed to a titanium turbo

shuttlespanker:
call the local dealer, give them the reg number and ask them if the turbo has been changed to a titanium turbo

Will DAF have a national database of their trucks as this one came from Adams Morey at Southampton and my local dealer is Hull. Suppose I could ask Moreys if its been done. Is a 2008 likely to have been a problem do you know?

Matt

We have a ex Mediterranean shipping 08 that’s going to be done .

any work done at a main dealer will appear on its history file

if the turbo was changed at a dealer, it will show up

also, ask if there are any outstanding recalls to be done

xfmatt:

shuttlespanker:

Will DAF have a national database of their trucks as this one came from Adams Morey at Southampton and my local dealer is Hull. Suppose I could ask Moreys if its been done. Is a 2008 likely to have been a problem do you know?

Matt

I know of an 08 reg 460 that’s had the turbo done among other things at a low mileage and that’s going back 2/3 years

Are they KKK or Garret.
DAF cant make a truck never mind a bloody turbo.

Bking:
Are they KKK or Garret.

It is neither ,both the the KKK &GARRETT turbos where fitted to the XE & XF engine (EURO 3 ),which where pretty reliable turbos ,which when they did fail did not cause the chaos the current turbo failure does ,no

The turbo the op is referring to is the BORG WARNER ,which is fitted to the MX engine as found in the XF105 & CF85,which is a Euro 4 &5 engine

Now there is no need to give the op misleading information which will confuse him ,as I said before you really should just stick to what you know is 100% true and not speculate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …But on the Brightside you have learned something new ,and another small snippet of info ,the BORG WARNER wastegate is non adjustable unlike the KKK & GARRETT wastegate …

This information has been supplied by an ex R.E.M.E corporal /with 18 years on DAF ,so I like to think I know the product :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh the reply should be fun

norb:

Bking:
Are they KKK or Garret.

It is neither ,both the the KKK &GARRETT turbos where fitted to the XE & XF engine (EURO 3 ),which where pretty reliable turbos ,which when they did fail did not cause the chaos the current turbo failure does ,no

The turbo the op is referring to is the BORG WARNER ,which is fitted to the MX engine as found in the XF105 & CF85,which is a Euro 4 &5 engine

Now there is no need to give the op misleading information which will confuse him ,as I said before you really should just stick to what you know is 100% true and not speculate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: …But on the Brightside you have learned something new ,and another small snippet of info ,the BORG WARNER wastegate is non adjustable unlike the KKK & GARRETT wastegate …

This information has been supplied by an ex R.E.M.E corporal /with 18 years on DAF ,so I like to think I know the product :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What sort of age/mileage range were these turbos prone to blow at then any ideas?

Matt.

Waste gate?
Your 10 years behind the times my friend Try variable geometry!

norb:

Bking:
Are they KKK or Garret.

oh look :open_mouth:

Burger King showing his knowledge (or lack thereof) about general maintenance issues again :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

stick to what you know fella, flipping burgers in Burger King (where you obviously got your username from) :wink:

Sorry xfmatt ,though I have done more than I can remember ,I honestly can not think of the average milage ,at a guess and it is only a guess so no guarantee ,I think you should get 500,000 km,no doubt some will blow sooner and some later ,because it is down to Low Cycle Fatigue ,so it all depends on the use of the vehicle .There was an issue of commercial motor about 3 weeks ago ,where DAF discussed with the mag about turbo failures

Bking:
Waste gate?
Your 10 years behind the times my friend Try variable geometry!

I am not 10 years behind the times ,DAF may be according to your goodself.As for VTG DAF now use it for EURO 6 …Surely If you can achieve the current euro standards without the latest bells and whistles that is good for the end user ie customer ■■..An example being IVECO who have achieved EURO 6 with SCR only…so you have a nice clean induction system and no EGR clogging it up…Although I like my DAF , I will accept that other manufacturers have a plus point ,and I personally reckon that is one hell of a plus point ,no EGR

So VG turbos are a figment of my imagination!
Amatuers or what!

DAf = TRACTOR
Piece of ■■■■■ garbage

Waste gates have “never” been used on heavy diesels and I must admit you people are full of ■■■■
Variable geometry turbos can vary input load by turning vanes inside the volute to increase or reduce boost.
Now some Genius is going to tell me I am full of crap so tell me one heavy diesel with a waste gate.
Come on “experts”

We had a turbo go on a 13 reg just before Christmas. Nearly all of our 58/09 reg had the same issue.

Bking:
Waste gates have “never” been used on heavy diesels and I must admit you people are full of [zb]
Variable geometry turbos can vary input load by turning vanes inside the volute to increase or reduce boost.
Now some Genius is going to tell me I am full of crap so tell me one heavy diesel with a waste gate.
Come on “experts”

AHHH maybe that is DAFs problem as they use a wastegate ,i’ll call and let them know on Monday …If you leave your phone number i’ll request they call you and you can sort all their problems

Who said VTG was a figment of your imagination …I never, I pointed out DAF are now using them on the EURO 6 …

You on the other hand have taken it pretty bad that I pointed out that you where giving the op incorrect information ref the his question

If your opinion of DAF trucks is that the are rubbish ,then that is ok as you are entitled to your opinion,and it makes no difference to my life .But it did make me laugh as you remind me of a 5year old who had lost an argument in the playground ,and throws an insult to try and hurt the other persons feeling :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Can’t your ego actually accept you may be wrong at times ,like normal human beings…

I hope the attachment works ,hopefully the heading explains it all bking

So I guess you will now admit you are totally wrong ,and maybe should stay away from what you do not know :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I now quiet enjoy proving you wrong ,and I guess the rest of the forum enjoy it as well