Daf XF105

Had a look at some M.A.Ns yesterday but I don’t think I’m going to go down that route.

Also looked at a Daf XF 105, just after some general advice. This is the one I looked at. It’s done about 500,000km, will have had a major service, has three months driveline warranty, 12 months MOT, and brakes and clutch will have been measured and replaced if out of tolerance. They will also respray it into another colour in the price.

Walker Movements have this.

Similar age and mileage, but although I haven’t enquired about it, I believe it will be “sold as seen” and with no warranty. It’s also euro 4 as opposed to the one obove which is euro 5.

It is up for £22,750 which is obviously a lot less.

What do the team think? Which would people tend to prefer? And why?

I’m still looking about, and haven’t made any hard and fast decisions yet, although the time is shortly going to be here when I do have to. Any advice from the knowledgeable welcome!

Ta!

i know if it was me harry i would be looking at the bigger cabbed euro 5 , better living space and it should be good for a few years running into london.
did you get sorted with some where to park it ?

Go for the euro 5. The reason euro 4s are now quite cheap is because everyday is another nearer euro 5. The euro 5 will be good for at least 5 years plus will hold it’s price for the next couple of years, but go for the euro 4 and before you know it you’ll either be changing the exhaust at a high cost, or be trying to bargain with a dealer for the part exchange price :wink:

gazza1970:
i know if it was me harry i would be looking at the bigger cabbed euro 5 , better living space and it should be good for a few years running into london.
did you get sorted with some where to park it ?

That is what I’m inclined towards thinking lads… yep Operating Centre all sorted, maintenance sorted, 23 of the 24 things on the VOSA “to do” list done now and the last one going through so hoping it won’t be too much longer.

Been looking at your posts for a while now regarding 2nd hand vehicles and i appreciate the fact this is a new venture but if you have work for truck secure and its long term only way to go is new in my opinion.
Modern technology is a great thing until it goes wrong my mate bought a 57 Daf 18 months ago 12k in maintainance since then he might be unlucky but everyday you hear stories of engines,turbos and the like going on vehicles that age.
I would rather be paying £1000 a month for finance and have full warranty, I might be wrong in many peoples eyes but it eradicates any eye watering bills.

Good luck with new venture.

I do know where you’re coming from HH, I have thought about it but for a first vehicle I’m not sure about taking on such a large financial commitment. I probably will go down the second-hand route, virtually every truck I have ever had as an employee has arrived at our firm at similar age and mileage and virtually every one has been relatively trouble free.

I’m sure there is an element of luck with this, and that’s why, if I did buy used, driveline warranty would be important, as would known history… I would be inclined to run for a year or so, and then I can re-do the maths on what I actually have earned, rather than what I project to earn, and if I thought I was doing reasonably well then I would probably look towards buying new for a second truck.

Still haven’t made my mind up 100% about anything yet though on the vehicle front. If nothing else, I enjoy learning from folk who have experience of operating various different vehicles and options that I’ve been considering…

Would you want a left ■■■■■■ Harry,shaften trunks in holland have some great looking ones all well looked after ,some of them 460hp some 510hp ,sky blue colour some euro 5.very tidy.

With the first one being entirely on UK work, I think I’d prefer RHD. If things do work out and I put a second vehicle on the road then this will do some continental work and I might think about a left-■■■■■■ then.

harry it would be worth doing some home work on that AS tronic box ,.

gazza1970:
harry it would be worth doing some home work on that AS tronic box ,.

I do understand that the module can be problematic, what other advice would you give?

harry i have never driven one with this box, but it would be worth looking at these posts

www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67832

I’ve had two XF95’s with AS-tronic gearbox as an employee, and although the low-speed manoeuvring was less controllable than with a clutch, otherwise I liked both of them, and we were getting very good fuel consumption from both.

I would far prefer an automatic box because after 25-odd years, my left knee and arm are starting to feel the wear now and there’s no doubt that an auto box is easier on a time-expired body! :smiley:

One thing I would say about daf is keep the drivers foOt well clear of dust and dirt as it can get into the brake valve and cause probs

And also the Most comfortable lorry I’ve ever driven plenty of room and the bed is like a big sofa

Yes, both of the ones I’ve had as an employee were Super Space cabs and from the “living in” point of view, I would say they are better than anything else I’ve driven, and that includes various Globetrotters and Topliners. And yes, bed is lovely and comfortable.

Harry

Those XF105’s in Kent you are looking at - I know the trucks and you should leave 'em alone.

I reckon the ones at Walkers are far better value, although Macs Trucks have 58 reg XF105’s with under 280K kms on - they are only 410’s but you wouldnt know the difference. I have now bought seven from the same fleet and they are like new. With that mileage you are two years in front - I think they will take around £29500.

Ta, I’ll have a look at Mac trucks website right now. Can you be specific about the one I looked at, I do know which fleet they were on and they do look after the kit, is it just the mileage?

EDIT, Just had a look at the ones on Mac trucks site, I do like the mileage and condition, I’ll think on those. I would personally have thought a 410 a bit underpowered for 44 tonne work though, but you say there’s little difference?

Harry I’d leave dafs alone. Everyone I know seems to spend a fortune on them once they get to about 5 years old.

kr79:
Harry I’d leave dafs alone. Everyone I know seems to spend a fortune on them once they get to about 5 years old.

This is the problem, for every person who says that any given truck is good, there’s another who says it’s a nightmare!

I know what your saying. At the end of the day no car or truck is perfect despite what v8 scania fans tell you :smiley: .
But reading through various post you seem to be a Volvo man in all honesty I’d go with one of them if that’s what you like only downside of course is they ain’t cheap.