ADR stuff in the Dec 7 CPC National exam...WITH PICS

This post is my (somewhat) educated guess at the type of questions that you might get in the CPC National case study.
I’ve provided the pics to hopefully assist you to visualise some of the items in question.

To those not taking CPC exams: Before posting questions or comments on this topic, please re-read the first sentence :wink:
I’m more than happy to answer questions in the H&S forum, where more people will see the answers.
Please leave this post clear so as not to overload the guys taking their exams :smiley:

I’ve taken a look at the pre-release case study on the OCR website.
It makes the following mention of a potential area of the case study:

UN class 8, Packing Group II, corrosive substances…carried in 1,000 litre IBCs

:smiley: One good thing is that they’ve not mentioned a “UN number,” so the questions can’t be too technical or specific. :wink:

The IBCs will look something like this: (And will weigh at least 1,000kgs EACH.)
:laughing: BEFORE ANYBODY ASKS, IT ISN’T LIMITED QUANTITIES :wink:

The required label for the IBC is this:

The required vehicle markings are 2 of these:
Name: “Orange coloured plate” size = 40cm X 30cm
One on the front of the vehicle, and one on the rear of the vehicle.
NO other vehicle markings are required :wink:

So that leaves us wondering what the questions might be…

The ADR load limit for the “stuff” they mention is 333 Ltrs, because it’s in transport category 2, so even one 1,000 Ltr IBC will mean that the load is “in scope.” (fully regulated)

Name x # documents:
1 Driver’s VTC (ADR licence) valid at least for class 8 in packages (an IBC is a package :wink: )
2 Transport document (Please see below)
3 Instructions In Writing (This used to be called a “Tremcard.” Please see below)
4 Photographic ID for the driver

Name x # items of equipment which must be on board the vehicle:
Suitable load securing equipment
1 Two self-standing warning signs (Cones, triangles or flashing amber lights)
2 At least one wheel chock
3 Two fire extinguishers (totalling 12Kgs for any type of “proper” LGV)
4 Hi-viz (1 per crew member)
5 Pocket lamp (1 per crew member)
6 PPE for the substance mentioned in the instructions in writing
7 Spill equipment mentioned in the instructions in writing.

Name x # transport company obligations:
1 Ensure that staff have received documented, but informal ADR “awareness” training appropriate to their duties.
2 Ensure that a suitable vehicle is used
3 Ensure that the driver has the correct documentation and equipment
4 Appoint a Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA,)
5 Retain DGSA’s reports for 5 years (See below.)
6 Provide suitable load securing equipment
(There are more :wink: )

Name x # DGSA’s duties:
1 Monitor compliance with dangerous goods law
2 Advise on safe carriage
3 Prepare an annual report
4 Investigate and report (to the company) on accidents and serious infringements
5 Implement measures to avoid the recurrence of #4
6 Check that staff have detailed operating procedures

Name x # items of info on the transport document:
(Think of this document as a delivery note :wink: )
1 UN NUMBER
2 NAME OF THE SUBSTANCE AS SPECIFIED IN ADR
3 UN HAZARD CLASS
4 UN PACKING GROUP (Items 1 - 4 must be written in that order.)
5 NUMBER AND DESCRIPTION OF PACKAGES
6 TOTAL QUANTITY OF EACH ITEM OF DANGEROUS GOODS
7 NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF CONSIGNOR AND CONSIGNEE

Name x # items of info on the Instructions In Writing:
(Think of this document as a list of info in case the job goes wrong :wink: )
1 NAME OF THE SUBSTANCE AS SPECIFIED IN ADR
2 UN HAZARD CLASS
3 UN NUMBER
4 PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE GOODS (APPEARANCE, COLOUR, FORM, ODOUR ETC)
5 DESCRIPTION OF THE DANGERS PRESENTED
6 BEHAVIOUR OF THE “STUFF” IN A FIRE
7 LIST OF PPE AND SPILLAGE EQUIPMENT TO BE ON BOARD THE VEHICLE
8 FIRST AID INSTRUCTIONS IN CASE OF HUMAN CONTACT WITH THE “STUFF”
9 OTHER APPROPRIATE MEASURES TO BE TAKEN BY THE DRIVER

Name x # of drivers’ duties / responsibilities:
1 ENSURE THAT HIS/HER (ORIGINAL) ADR LICENCE IS PRESENT
2 ENSURE PHOTOGRAPHIC ID IS PRESENT
3 SECURE THE “STUFF” ON THE VEHICLE BEFORE DEPARTURE
4 CHECK FIRE EXTINGUISHERS ARE PRESENT AND FOR COMPLIANCE
5 CHECK ALL OTHER DOCUMENTATION IS PRESENT
6 CHECK ALL EQUIPMENT IS PRESENT (SEE EQUIPMENT LIST ABOVE)
7 FOLLOW ANY ROUTEING INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY EMPLOYER

To everybody taking their exams, I’d like to wish you good luck.
I hope this post is helpful, but time will tell…

Please post whether this was helpful, because I won’t see the questions you get. It might help for next time :wink:

Thanks for the headsup Dave, I’ll let you know if it crops up tomorrow afternoon.

Dave

Airpikey:
Thanks for the headsup Dave, I’ll let you know if it crops up tomorrow afternoon.

Dave

Thanks for that mate.
I used to teach CPC, but I hardly do that lately.
I’ll have to wait until this becomes a “past” paper, then I can guage the degree of difficulty of the questions.
This one shouldn’t be too bad, because there was no UN Number given, so I feel that the questions will only be general in nature. I hope I’ve covered it sufficiently… :smiley:

Cheers for that DD, very useful

I’m taking mine tomorrow (1st resit :blush: ) and I did a course yesterday. The trainer I had agreed with you that the question will be general in its nature. He didn’t try to second guess the actual question but I think what you’ve put is in the right area.

I will try to memorise the question so I can post it on here tomorrow evening if I get the time to memorise it that is! :smiley:

hammer:
Cheers for that DD, very useful

I’m taking mine tomorrow (1st resit :blush: ) and I did a course yesterday. The trainer I had agreed with you that the question will be general in its nature. He didn’t try to second guess the actual question but I think what you’ve put is in the right area.

I will try to memorise the question so I can post it on here tomorrow evening if I get the time to memorise it that is! :smiley:

Thanks for that hammer, I’m glad you went for some advice-- It will stand you in good stead, you’ll see!!
I agree with your instructor. I wouldn’t try to second guess it either.
I’m fairly sure that I’ve covered the possibilities though…
Good luck mate :wink:

Just back from CPC.

The gist of the dangerous goods question was something like:

“Acme Logistics have the chance of taking on a contract that involves dangerous goods.
What procedures would have to be put in place that affect the vehicle, driver and management?”

I think it was either 7 or 9 points.

Had a quick crib of your notes at lunchtime and hopefully bored them into max marks!

Other questions involved

Applying for new O licence due to merger/PLC company change
Doing a daily schedule + can you do it every day (NO/YES delete as appropriate!)
Doing a daily pricing.
What’s needed for in house maintenance
Digi tacho+ what time’s on digi (UTC)
Using the maint. inspection graph
Environmental considerations for truck purchase
Emissions options (adblue/ EGR etc)
Turning your warehouse staff into C+E drivers
8 things to have on your C+E test truck

That’ll do for now. Off for a little lie down.

Dave

I did cpc too, did all three modules struggled with the first did ok on second and not too bad on case study. Did the main 4 questions, and struggled a little on the other 4 was running out of time really, didn’t even know the answer to the one about euro engines I hadn’t studied that bit at all so lost marks there, will no doubt be back in March for a resit
sit and wait for results now

Hi Airpikey,
just a note on the driving schedule question, why did you think that it couldn’t be done in a week, I put yes, it was well below driving hours for the week 7hrs 50min per day and total work time for the day was 6.00 till 18.15 which is 12hrs 15min which I think is legal work for the week, do you subtract a 45 min break from the working day? Any comments by you guys could clear it up

Foxstein:
Hi Airpikey,
just a note on the driving schedule question, why did you think that it couldn’t be done in a week, I put yes, it was well below driving hours for the week 7hrs 50min per day and total work time for the day was 6.00 till 18.15 which is 12hrs 15min which I think is legal work for the week, do you subtract a 45 min break from the working day? Any comments by you guys could clear it up

I had end of working day as 18.30 .I included W.T.D 15 mins break after 9 hours, other than that I agree.

Foxstein:
Hi Airpikey,

I put that it wasn’t possible because if one driver did that every day of the week they would infringe the WTD. I deducted the break and he’s still doing 11.5hrs a day (57.5hrs per week). I thought they could only do 48hrs a week over a 17 week period? :confused: Am I wrong or what? :confused: :blush:

What ruined me was that Digital Tachograph printout. Never even looked at one before. I just guessed. :blush:

Foxstein:
Hi Airpikey,

Hmmmm… after a quick look at the regs(after 4 pints of Guinness) I think I’ve [zb] up and you’re right. Driving regs don’t come close to it but I’ve misunderstood the working time hours and included the break times.
Take heed, this comes of only having 5 days of home study and working in an industry that thinks 13:15 without a break is fine.

if you need to alter the word to get past the auto censor, that’s the clue it’s not allowed…Denis F

I put that it wasn’t possible because if one driver did that every day of the week they would infringe the WTD. I deducted the break and he’s still doing 11.5hrs a day (57.5hrs per week). I thought they could only do 48hrs a week over a 17 week period? :confused: Am I wrong or what? :confused: :blush:

I think you are limited to 60 hrs a week. 48 is an average of work over 17 weeks so the only way the driver in the case study could do that run every day would end after 17 weeks, at that point he should have time off to ‘pay back’ the accumulated hours above 48 for each week he has worked.
Makin’ sense ?

mmm doesn’t look like any of us are sure, I had a 45 min break in at 11.45 till 12.30 which got the end if the day at 6.15. don’t think you need an extra 15 cos your still under 6 hours, but not convinced.
Depends on the wording for whether it could be done weekly, think I might have got it wrong and it should have been No, cant remember how many marks that was worth. Was rushing as I was running out of time, by the time you’ve worked out the drivers schedule and the costing that was nearly an hour gone already.
As for the tacho print out I had seen one my our refresher study day but still guessed it never looked at it hard enough, thought what are the chances of a printout being in the questions? whoops :frowning:

what did you all make of the o licence question,?
apply for two licences one for each traffic area,
maintence contact if done by outside garage
advert in local paper 21 day before or after, send whole page to tc
o licence takes 9 weeks
finace, send 3 months bank statements,
send original cpc certificate with application

Any Advance o this?

O licence stuff.
Yes you needed to apply for both licences but you needed a schedule 4 because it was only a name change, because there was an original operating centre there before. So no need to advertise, but original conditions on licence would be carried forward to new ones.

p.s. need interim licence to keep going while new licences are approved

How I understood it was that 2 new Operators Licences had to be applied for as the merger involved changing from private limited company (Acme Logistics Ltd and Zenith Trans. Ltd) to Acme-Zenith Solutions PLC status. That process, according to my EOS notes, would involve GV79(GV79A Big fleet!) forms coming out and, in effect, starting a new application(s).

thats handy cus thats what i put more or less,

twobobbit:
thats handy cus thats what i put more or less,

I hope obi-wan sees this, cos his knowledge is more up-to-date on that subject than mine TBH :blush:

I know what I think, but I don’t want to cause confusion :wink:
:smiley: Glad I stuck to the ADR stuff :laughing: :exclamation:

When do we find out weather weve passed or failed chaps?
I took mine for the first time aswell,stuggled a bit on the first,think ive passed the second, 50/50 on the case study…
Digi tacho chart caught me out