Accessories Advice

Now I am running into the “trucking community” and hoping to get a full time job tramping I am thinking of buying this

Waeco Fridge

Or is it worth the extra couple of quid (about another £250) getting one of the bigger ones. I’m hoping the job I will land is being away a week at a time and home for 2 days a week. Is the one above big enough for a week’s worth of fruit and able to cool water to a semi decent drinking temperature during the summer months?

What do you use and how much is it roughly? Is it worth having one?

What other in cab comforts is it worth investing in when I do land the job of my dreams (or any tramping job at the moment), I already have a 300w inverter and a 15” flat screen tele with dvd player and xbox 360 for the long nights with no tele picture, plus obviously the laptop for watching movies during the long drives at night :wink: :laughing:

IMHO, a proper compressor fridge is better than one of those evaporator cool boxes.
One of these.
Usually they are more efficient in their use of power and quieter, but much more expensive
So it’s down to, how much you need to keep cool, how much you want to keep it cool and how much you want to spend.

buy yourself a 12/24 volt coolbox for about £80. it’s all you need in this country. anything is chucking away your money.

I may be able to offer you a decent one for good money?

Did you mention the summer months…we half way through July, and no sign of the so called hottest summer on record…get the cheapest cool box you can find, and use that…

As Simon say’s,get a proper compressor fridge,it’ll last you a lot longer and do a much better job.
As for keeping drinks cool,mine will freeze water,coke and beer if I don’t keep an eye on it!

Sorry but don’t be silly spending money like that.

I got a camping gaz brand cool box for 40 quid out the camping shop. Buy cravendale filterd milk (tastes amazing) and all pies and that on the sat evening. Everything put in cool box on the sunday morning, still fresh as the day it was bought come friday afternoon.

All you hear is a wee fan whirring away at night and you soon get used to it and not notice it. You’re silly spending mega bucks

Steve-o you have any links for your fridge as im also interested in buying a wee fridge at the mo.

garnerlives:

whats a decent one and whats good money?

not a domestic fridge for £50 with an inverter is it? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Got to agree with Simon & KW here get a propper Compressor Fridge, they might cost at least twice the price but well worth it in the long run.
If you want to chill food down from ambient temp it’s really the only choice, if it’s already chilled then not so much of a prob.
Also if it’s a nice hot day & you fancy a couple of cold ones, you can stick them in at 5pm & by 7ish they will be nice & cold.

One other thing to take into consideration is power consumption, a compressor fridge uses a lot less power than an absorption fridge. I’ve had absorption/cooler fridges in the past & could not leave them on all night for the fear of having flat batteries in the morning, a compressor fridge I’ve had on all weekend with out any problems at all.

I have the CF18, a little small for my needs (my mistake should have gone for the CF25) but it is way better than any absorption cooler/fridge.
Your call mate, just depends on what you want to spend really.

If you have a sniff around you may well find one for sale from a Magnum. They were top opening compressor fridges which would keep it cool but not freeze everything solid like the other type.

The compressor fridges last for years and will not need a new motor. They also shut down if the voltage drops below a certain level. I had one in my Premium for years. It was still working when I emigrated and I almost wish I had brought it with me. I wouldn’t bother with the others.

I thought most truck manufacturers were speccing fridges nowadays. Everyone is here. My Pete is 6 years old and has a proper fridge with icebox fitted. The Volvo had the same.

Gib,

it all depends on what motor you’ll be driving mate, most firms now spec their trucks with fridges as a standard fitting when they know their drivers are going to be away for 4 - 5 nights a week.

The new 105 XF, and I know this for a fact, doesnt come with one as standard but it’s an optional extra and is certainly big enough to store fruit, drink and microwave ready meals. Talking of which, fork out £30 and get yourself a cheap microwave from any of the well known supermarkets, you never know when you’ll be parked up in an industrial estate or a layby in the middle of nowhere. Also get yourself a decent dash table from CDC or EBay, that can be fitted using just velcro, also get yourself a kettle, gas camping stove, nick a saucepan from your kitchen and cutlery. Dont forget a bag to carry clean clothes and plenty of carriers for your rubbish, which obviously you’ll dispose of in a bin when one becomes available, and the most important thing on the list is an empty four/six pint milk bottle. Which ofcourse when the contents are disposed of down a convienent drain and the bottle swilled out with water is perfectly adequate to be reused time and again, thus saving on the dreaded thing most of us see on the side of roads, the INFAMOUS 2 litre bottles of truckers tizer. :wink:

Hope this all helps.

truck fridges are a rip off. the best thing is to go to argos and buy a table top fridge, then get an invertor,
job done.

Hi.HAd exact same fridge as your thinking of buying for couple years now.i think it’s a great fridge.
It runs quite,keeps all my fruit and veg and water nice and cold.Never had issues with flat batteries either.I leave it on all week to.

the wife stared at me the other day. i froze. does that count?
bloody expensive to run though. :laughing:

Giblsa:

garnerlives:

whats a decent one and whats good money?

not a domestic fridge for £50 with an inverter is it? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Well I was thinking about this with an Inverter…

I’ll dig out what I’ve got and get some details off net of it and send them your way

If you are cab hopping you will never use a fridge/coolbox of any kind, it will stay on your car seat all week, believe me.

If you are buying one for continental work, then do as you were told and get a compressor type, Waeco or Engel are the best in the world imo.

If you just want to keep your milk cool, stand it in a margarine tub on the passenger step

Giblsa, it is better to pay the extra cash out for a better
fridge RUN BY A COMPRESSOR this will be worth it, I
have one and use it in the car as well, due to the dual voltage
system they brought in after years of being 24v only,
well worth buying as every one has pointed out before.

All you need is a couple of spanners and a caravan breakers…
Simply remove passenger seat place in ex caravan fridge get compident vehicle spark to wire in and for £50 ish full fuctioning fridge with freezer compartment all you need for these long hot summers we dont have.

Cooler boxes are great until it gets hot had two melt down on me a few years ago, cheap caravan fridge is the way.

Plus but I dont recommend you do this Caravan fridges can run on gas a driver I used to work with used to switch his to gas at weekends so he could keep it stocked easy to do all you need is a small gas bottle 3.5kgs or like but this is not to be used whilst your in the cab as the Fridge needs to vent to the outside dangerous gases and that.

I have got a 24v fridge ex Renualt Magnum which was great in my last truck where it could reside under the bottom bunk (Scania) but now in my FH I am bothered by the noise and have to switch it off at night.

Anyone got one of the newer compressor fridges Weaco etc? How noisy are these?