Fridge/Coolbox

Hi Guys,
Can anyone recommend a decent fridge or coolbox?
Must be able to plug into a 24v Hella socket as it’s the only one available.
Also must either be quiet enough for sleep, or able to be turned off at night and not have everything warm in the morning.
Thanks

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

How long is a piece of string? So many variables mate, are you a day tripper who just wants to keep some cans of pop and a salad cool? Are you a tramper taking a week or two worth of food with you? How much do you want to spend?

At the entry level (read cheap) Halfords and Lidl do perfectly acceptable coolboxes for around the £50 mark. I used these for years with no complaint until I got the chance of a cheap(ish) second hand Waeco. Without a shadow of a doubt Waeco is the make to go for for serious in cab refrigeration. Of course quality comes at a price; in excess of £300 actually.

But like I say it’s totally down to you as to what you require.

I have a cheap £50 job from Argos, but it’s crap, only runs on 12v so I have issues powering it, and makes a lot of noise so have to switch it off at night.
Am a mon-fri tramper so looking for something decent, wanted to spend somewhere in the region of £150-£200

I was dead lucky and got my Waeco from an old boy who was retiring for £50 . At the price range you have in mind you should be able to locate something similar but will probably need to be patient and check out the usual suspects such as E bay, gumtree etc.

the maoster:
I was dead lucky and got my Waeco from an old boy who was retiring for £50 . At the price range you have in mind you should be able to locate something similar but will probably need to be patient and check out the usual suspects such as E bay, gumtree etc.

+1 on a Waeco Dometic compressor fridge not cheap ,
But last and are 12/24v on the ones up to 26ltr and 12/24/240 on larger ones
I have a CDF 26 and that’s set to -18 and don’t flatten truck battery and that’s running along side trucks built in fridge and my inverter
Truck is ac2018 MAN TGXXL

Sent from goodness knows where

What’s the diffence in performance between a compressor and a thermoelectric? And noise levels?
Been browsing Amazon, lots don’t seem to run on 24v, would it be a better option to get a 600w inverter and power it thru that?

amazon.co.uk/Dometic-CoolFr … eature_div

Is this the right one?

Dave73-UK:
What’s the diffence in performance between a compressor and a thermoelectric? And noise levels?
Been browsing Amazon, lots don’t seem to run on 24v, would it be a better option to get a 600w inverter and power it thru that?

Compressor fridge is just like a mini version of your home fridge and will only come on when set temp has gone up by a few deg , only noise is compressor not that loud and a small fan similar to a pc following fan noise
Thermo ones only cool down to 20deg bellow ambient temperature , no good in this heat and have a constant fan noise

Sent from goodness knows where

I hate to sound like the bringer of bad news, but if the doom merchants get it right and there’s lots of redundancies in the industry I suspect that there will be a few 2nd hand fridges for sale soon

Absorption fridges are another option. Totally silent and cool pretty well, but they work best off 240v and they certainly aren’t as good as a compressor. Also work off gas bottles, although not sure I’d want to trust that.

Just avoid most coolboxes as they are simply a box with a little insulation and a fan. No actual cooling mechanism and they can flatten the battery (as my car has found out a few times).

The thermoelectric ones are the lowest end for cooling and prob better for a picnic. Although they are prob better than most coolboxes.

An awful lot are designed for caravans so 12v but I ran my absorbtion one off a 24 to 12v dropper when i did nights out. Buy a quality one with battery checker.

Here’s the facts you should have asked
Do you live in the truck over half of your life if so cost is not a issue if you want quality to satisfy your needs
Is it only a cooler you want that lasts a few hours
What are you putting in it
Or is it you just keep on getting woken up with the running noise
Or maybe you can’t make your mind up on whats best for yourself
The latter comes to mind