Question for trampers

I start a new job in a couple of weeks where I will be out 4 nights a week and am trying to figure out what’s best way to keep supplies fresh. Is a cheapish 12/24 volt coolbox or a waeco fridge/coolbox type the way to go ?
Sorry if this has been done before but any input is gratefully apreciated.
Forgot to mention, I will be in a car transporter so space will be limited in cab.
Thankyou

theflyingdustman:
I start a new job in a couple of weeks where I will be out 4 nights a week and am trying to figure out what’s best way to keep supplies fresh. Is a cheapish 12/24 volt coolbox or a waeco fridge/coolbox type the way to go ?
Sorry if this has been done before but any input is gratefully apreciated.
Forgot to mention, I will be in a car transporter so space will be limited in cab.
Thankyou

Guess it depends on how much you want to spend.I’ve always used Waeco.Pricy at over £150.But they seem to last.Are quite and i leave it on all week.With no issues with the batteries.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hi, i had a waeco compressor fridge expensive initially but a superb piece of kit,runs of 12v/24v cigarette lighter day and night and keeps the proper temp.

The fridge with compressor will keep your food fresher for longer as theyre adjustable down to 0degrees. A coolbox will likely only cool down to maybe +7degrees possibly higher.

Some are fine with cheaper coolboxes, but I prefer a proper 24v fridge.
Don’t know how long those coolboxes last, but I’ve had the same fridge since about 03.
It was about 300 quid at that time (old firm supplied it) I think the similar model today is about 2x that, so not cheap.
It played up for the first time last year, but I got it sorted and it’s still going.
Many firms supply fridges with their trucks nowadays, so check first before you shell out.

Two different units entirely. The waeco fridge/coolbox is far superior in every way in comparison to a cool box, it can keep its temperature down in the middle of summer when your cab is hot. A cool box from Halfords is cheap but will do the job but just not as good in the summer. I use a Halfords one and it backs up my main fridge unit for drinks only. If you can afford to get the waeco fridge you will have a much more versatile and efficient unit. If money is an issue, then you can make do with an electric coolbox. It won’t be as good but it will suffice. Temps are far better in a compressor fridge.

robroy:
Some are fine with cheaper coolboxes, but I prefer a proper 24v fridge.
Don’t know how long those coolboxes last, but I’ve had the same fridge since about 03.
It was about 300 quid at that time (old firm supplied it) I think the similar model today is about 2x that, so not cheap.
It played up for the first time last year, but I got it sorted and it’s still going.
Many firms supply fridges with their trucks nowadays, so check first before you shell out.

Any firm that wouldn’t supply a fridge as a minimum for tramping, I personally would not work for. It has to be a minimum, an inverter should be included too. Don’t mind supplying my own microwave but fridge and inverter is the very least firms should supply.

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I know the trucks don’t have fridges in them. Price wise, I’m on a bit of tight budget really. Sort of 50 to 60 quid if I’m honest. If that is possible

theflyingdustman:
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I know the trucks don’t have fridges in them. Price wise, I’m on a bit of tight budget really. Sort of 50 to 60 quid if I’m honest. If that is possible

Halfords then in that case, their 24v coolboxes are good enough this time of the year, as the hotter weather approaches you can save towards the waeco fridge unit.

vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS … 3000&ver=0

I was looking at this, any ideas if it good or not please ?

Okay if you’ve got a 12 volt socket; not all cabs have them. I’ve got a Waeco Tropicool, cost me about £140 but well worth it; they also have a cut-out so the fridge motor isn’t permanently running. It’s on its second season, no issues so far. Another advantage with them is that they also have a mains lead so you can pre-cool the box at home, and as a bonus they’re very handy if you’re defrosting your home freezer and need to keep stuff chilled whilst you do it. Ditto if you need a beer cooler for a barbeque.

Whatever you do, don’t bother with the cheapo £40 ones you get at Range, etc. The plugs overheat with prolonged usage, they’re fine for keeping a picnic cool for an afternoon but no good for extended use.

It’s a pity the services in the UK don’t have freezer cabinets full of bags of ice like they do in Europe.
Stick a bag of ice in an electric cool box in 40c and its bliss , you can run a fan across the open top for instant A/C !

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

This lasted 2yrs before I accidentally plugged it into the 24v socket and after a few mins it died ha

ebay.co.uk/itm/Campingaz-Po … SwpDBZiy1d

Ive done a bit of long and short distance tramping and if theres nothing in the cab you wont die… dont get me
Wrong my firms have always had a fridge as a minimum which is questionable■■? Anyway theres always something 4 nights isnt a fortnight in the sahara. Exactly what a thought a was away. Anyway short life span 2 years trampin but still alive and still loving it. All over northern europe…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fridges good but have one minus.They don t have handle to carry and very heavy(about 12kg).Not so easy lift up or down at weekend.Full loaded will be about 20 kg.

May be no more Waeco .dometic.com/en-gb/uk/lp/wae … ic-general

If my present cool box will work no good that next i think i buy this.Can keep very low temperature,not heavy.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waeco-Cooler- … .l4275.c10

Smurfyboy2009:
Ive done a bit of long and short distance tramping and if theres nothing in the cab you wont die… dont get me
Wrong my firms have always had a fridge as a minimum which is questionable■■? Anyway theres always something 4 nights isnt a fortnight in the sahara. Exactly what a thought a was away. Anyway short life span 2 years trampin but still alive and still loving it. All over northern europe…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a fridge though saves a lot of money. Just having milk in there will do breakfast of tea and porridge. Fill the fridge with the right kind of foods and you can eat both healthy and cheap. Add up what it would cost to have three meals a day in the average cafe over a month and its going to near the cost of a decent fridge…

Andrejs:
May be no more Waeco .dometic.com/en-gb/uk/lp/wae … ic-general

Been that way for a while; products are the same though.

Keep eye on ebay for a used Waeco as I’ve got all mine on there at about half the price off a new one and they work fine , also got back what I paid when sold them on :grimacing: