A38 Northbound near M5 junction tonight

People are always coming on this site complaining about what they saw another driver do, so I thought I’d post an antidote…

If you were driving a Tesco artic on the A38 Northbound approaching the Aztec West roundabout (1 roundabout south of the M5 J16) at 18:10 tonight (last night :exclamation: ), and you pulled across one lane to allow a cyclist (yes, some cyclists drive trucks too :slight_smile: ) on a black folding bike to pull out, then thanks for your anticipation and courtesy. I was preparing to slow down to let you pass unhindered, but you saved me the effort. I didn’t manage to catch up with you at the lights to say thanks, and you didn’t have a “how’s my driving” sticker on the back :slight_smile:

A few weeks back I was doing the exact same speed as a German registered artic along the M25 from the M11 to the A2. I was fairly close behind him but not close enough to be branded a tail-gater. It was fairly late and it was dark too but he had a slightly lower power:weight ratio than myself but we both had enough weight on to roll down the hills at the same speed.

Anyway, as his was a left ■■■■■■ he obviously had a restricted view of what traffic was in front of him and also that of the middle lane in front of him and behind him so when I could see a slower vehicle up ahead (say in front of a slower artic) I would pull out into the middle lane and hold my position and flash him out to avoid any nasty blind-spot offside collisions rather than attempting to overtake him. He was very courteous and appreciative and gave me a good display of indicator flashing in thanks, like you do.

What was even better was that when we were back in the nearside lane again, everytime we came to a broken down vehicle in the hard shoulder he’d give me a quick right indicator flash to alert me to the hazard in case I hadn’t seen it which I thought was very considerate of him. Of course, being so impressed by all this courtesy and consideration for each other I had to give him a real quick flash of my lights to say thanks for alerting me to the danger. :smiley:

It was sooooooo nice to drive in convoy with a fellow professional and none of this fighting to get past each other. As we pulled away from the toll booths we acknowledged each other and gave a wave.

I’ll always remember that part of the run that night and I was even going to bell his company up and tell them what good driving I was seeing but of course it was a Germany number and I don’t speak German. :frowning: