a2 demo 1970

in colour no sound though,around the 5 minute mark some good head on shots of bowkers, alan firmin, bass charrington,plenty of tk’s d- series aec’s some foreign tir’s good clip

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=74218

Wow… That brings back memories it was 1 year early for me but i was their 71 untill the 80s what a ball acke getting from the twin track at
the Blackwall tunnel to the Bexley twin track.That film is well worth seeing.I used to deliver to a chewing gum factory near there.
John

3300John:
Wow… That brings back memories it was 1 year early for me but i was their 71 untill the 80s what a ball acke getting from the twin track at
the Blackwall tunnel to the Bexley twin track.That film is well worth seeing.I used to deliver to a chewing gum factory near there.
John

Hiya… i’ve just had another look at the film theres every british make of truck with the exception of Sentinal and Vulcan.even a Dennis got in the shoot.
Is the Red and Grey Foden Joseph Hoyle?? its a good shoot. I saw 1 Scania but no Volvos. you would of expected at least one on that route.
John.

That’s a great piece of film, but I’ve noticed more "K"reg vehicles than you can shake a stick at, plus about three “L” reg vehicles and I think I also saw an “M” reg so it puts the stated 1970 date into some doubt.

One of the “L” reg vehicles is a yellow AEC pulling a single axle plant trailer.
If you hit the ‘pause’ button at 7:04 you’ll see this as WBK 616 L quite clearly.

This is a little extract from a registration marks website:

J AUG-1970 to JUL-1971
K AUG-1971 to JUL-1972
L AUG-1972 to JUL-1973
M AUG-1973 to JUL-1974

The source is: U.K. and R.O.I. Vehicle Registration Marks
When you land on that page, please scroll to about halfway down the page.

back in the day when truck spotting was worth doin :slight_smile:

dieseldave:
That’s a great piece of film, but I’ve noticed more "K"reg vehicles than you can shake a stick at, plus about three “L” reg vehicles and I think I also saw an “M” reg so it puts the stated 1970 date into some doubt.

One of the “L” reg vehicles is a yellow AEC pulling a single axle plant trailer.
If you hit the ‘pause’ button at 7:04 you’ll see this as WBK 616 L quite clearly.

This is a little extract from a registration marks website:

J AUG-1970 to JUL-1971
K AUG-1971 to JUL-1972
L AUG-1972 to JUL-1973
M AUG-1973 to JUL-1974

The source is: U.K. and R.O.I. Vehicle Registration Marks
When you land on that page, please scroll to about halfway down the page.

There were a lot of mk3 Cortinas too, i’m sure they came out in 71 on late J plate, sure I spotted an M plate in there too.

newmercman:
There were a lot of mk3 Cortinas too, i’m sure they came out in 71 on late J plate, sure I spotted an M plate in there too.

Yes newmercman, I spotted those too, but I’m not well enough up on exactly which cars were about in 1970.
I really did get the feeling that the film should be dated 1973 or 1974, but that’s a gut feeling TBH.

The thing that made me start thinking about the date was the sheer number of “K” reg vehicles.

I’ve also just remembered that the “new” white/yellow reflective reg plates came out on a “K” too and there are a number of examples of those in the film.

I really do think that somebody has made a mistake with the date. :neutral_face:

Hiya… after looking I agree it is later than 1970, but don’t make a big thing of it. I would not have noticed the plates !!! but don’t demoralise
people on somthing so small, the film is stunning. Lets just enjoy it, I bet none of the company,s shown on the film are still going.
John

Well if we’re into lorry spotting I saw Nabisco,Firmin,Bass,BRS Parcels as well as general,Drinkwaters,Halfords,Everards Atki tanker,Joseph Hoyle - I’m sure,E.H.Nicholls,SCA Ltd,Murco,BP,Shell,Total and right at end one of Latham’s Foddens.
Nice bit of film,shame about that poxy road and it will still be as busy I’m sure.

3300John:
Hiya… after looking I agree it is later than 1970, but don’t make a big thing of it. I would not have noticed the plates !!! but don’t demoralise
people on somthing so small, the film is stunning. Lets just enjoy it, I bet none of the company,s shown on the film are still going.
John

Hi 3300John, I agree that it’s a great film mate, and I only wish there were more like it. :smiley:

My comment isn’t intended to detract from the quality of the film and is simply an observation that whoever put the title to it might have made a mistake.

Just to get it spot-on, I made an observation not a criticism.

I can’t see that anything I said demoralised anybody. A simple re-read of what I wrote would confirm that. :smiley:

I put Yorkshire into the search and found 50 pages of interesting sites from 1890 to about 1968. However some of the page info is slightly out if anyone is relying on the information for study purposes.

A1 Motorway opening at Wentbridge

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=42539

This one for instance suggested it could be the M18 in 1961 :stuck_out_tongue:

i think the dates on most of the clips are approx,i enjoy them for the nostalgia and the memory of my dad,glad you enjoy them as well.

This clip is from Germany when I was stationed there in 1963.
It sure takes me back.

britishpathe.com/record.php?id=62480

I live not far from eltham where that a2 demo was filmed and its surprising how little the area has changed apart from the traffic which now uses the new a2 from blackheath now.

kr79:
I live not far from eltham where that a2 demo was filmed and its surprising how little the area has changed apart from the traffic which now uses the new a2 from blackheath now.

Hiya…kr79…I looked on Google maps earlier and it seems that people park there cars on the roadside now. As you saw in the film it was like a race track
in the 70s.
I mentioned before on the site the i did a delivery to a Chewing gum factory somewhere near their dose that ring any bells with you.It was a long time ago.
John

3300John:

kr79:

Hiya…kr79…I looked on Google maps earlier and it seems that people park there cars on the roadside now. As you saw in the film it was like a race track
in the 70s.
I mentioned before on the site the i did a delivery to a Chewing gum factory somewhere near their dose that ring any bells with you.It was a long time ago.
John

i dont know of a chewing gum factory myself but im only 31. Il ask my stepdad he has lived round that way since the 60s. There was the chiltonian biscuit factory at lee just of the south circular maybe they done chewing gum aswell.

3300John:

3300John:
John

Hiya… i’ve just had another look at the film theres every british make of truck with the exception of Sentinal and Vulcan.even a Dennis got in the shoot.
Is the Red and Grey Foden Joseph Hoyle?? its a good shoot. I saw 1 Scania but no Volvos. you would of expected at least one on that route.
John.

3300 john, about 2min50 into this brilliant clip a foreign f88 wagon and drag goes from left to right followed by a red guy big j. Just going back to pedants corner now :blush:

"gunnerheskey:
3300 john, about 2min50 into this brilliant clip a foreign f88 wagon and drag goes from left to right followed by a red guy big j.

And a good shot of the Czech Skoda roadtrain from CSAD at 5 minutes in.

bestbooties:

"gunnerheskey:
3300 john, about 2min50 into this brilliant clip a foreign f88 wagon and drag goes from left to right followed by a red guy big j.

Hiya thanks for that one. to be very honest i would have said that was a Scania 110 as it passed. I’am going to speck savers tommorow
cheers ladsJohn

And a good shot of the Czech Skoda roadtrain from CSAD at 5 minutes in.

[/quote]