Nice old film clip

youtube.com/watch?v=rVUfLXmG2dc

Fantastic, Thanks for posting :smiley:

I can remember when Tony Bastable presented Magpie.

great clip plus the links are in the same league…i drove 3/4 of the trucks in the video…makes me feel old now… :slight_smile:
can we now have a jenny hanley vs susan stranks thread hijack now? :smiley:

Fantastic old clip, I’d say! That Crusader sounded good. They don’t make documentaries like that any more. Did you notice that even with the lorry engines running, you could hear every word. There was no manic grass-hoppering from frame to frame, no stupid music or imposed sound effects: just a straight, interesting and informative delivery. No wonder I hardly ever watch the box!

Cheers, Robert

Great film that I’m sure Prouts became a Cartwright Trailer agent in the late 80s
They ran a couple of ex Watneys Seddon Atkinson 400s 290 ■■■■■■■ fitted with Allison auto boxes
One of them was driven by Dennis Prout

That’s a great film,well found.

The Mercedes and the Volvo were ex Humber McVeigh’s of Grimsby,nice find.

David

5thwheel:
That’s a great film,well found.

The Mercedes and the Volvo were ex Humber McVeigh’s of Grimsby,nice find.

David

And I think the Sed Atki 400 was ex Fleet Hire from Coleshill.Great little video.

On the Professional Driver’s Forum the thread “It Looks Like Gregory’s Have Bought AAR Craib” has a link to a 1950s film of the Aberdeen to Manchester Nightly Fish Run with Charles Alexander’s Leyland Beavers, Albion and Seddon. And for the roping and sheeting experts there’s an Aberdeen Angus!

Used to drive up and down that stretch of road past Prouts most nights on my way to Spitalfields, the Borough or Covent Garden. Many’s the time I pulled up and had a look round the wagons they had on display. This was in my daydreaming days back in the late 60’s early 70’s when I dreamt of driving one of those big lorries around europe. Prouts was one of those magical places we visited or passed most nights like Central Avenue in Covent Garden or the Thomas A Becket pub in the Old Kent Road or Tower Bridge or down the Embankment and round the Houses of Parliament. All just memories now but that short bit of film certainly gave mine a big jolt.

Bloody hell, that brings back memories.
I remember driving past Prouts, they always had at least 2 or 3 immaculate Transcons in, that used to stand out above everything else,.a motor well ahead of it’s time imo.
Never a rough one in for some reason, although some of the other types were a bit rough in comparison.

Brilliant!!
Love the transcontinental he was sitting in-looks very much like an ex Brain Haulage motor to me

One of the comments under the video says the Transcons were ex-Ford demo vehicles, so that would explain them being a bit fresher than the other motors. Was that yellow one in The Sweeney? :smiley:

The Fiat rigid looked brand new- maybe Fiat were discounting so heavily in GB, that smart dealers were buying the lorries to export them back to Italy, given the acceptability of RHD there?

Good find Boris- everyone keep their eyes peeled for more good stuff coming up on Youtube, Facebook et al.

[zb]
anorak:
One of the comments under the video says the Transcons were ex-Ford demo vehicles, so that would explain them being a bit fresher than the other motors. Was that yellow one in The Sweeney? :smiley:

The Fiat rigid looked brand new- maybe Fiat were discounting so heavily in GB, that smart dealers were buying the lorries to export them back to Italy, given the acceptability of RHD there?

Good find Boris- everyone keep their eyes peeled for more good stuff coming up on Youtube, Facebook et al.

Dunno bout the Transcon in the Sweeney but they certainly had a Merc but maybe not one of Prouts.