A14 Death today

Driver killed in layby collision
A man has died when the car he was driving collided with the back of a lorry on the A14 in Northamptonshire.

The 62-year-old was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on the westbound carriageway near Kelmarsh.

Northamptonshire Police said the MG TF sports car left the carriageway and collided with the rear of the lorry’s trailer in a layby.

The driver of the lorry, a 32-year-old man, was not injured, a police spokesman said.

Went past this today and wondered how the hell this happened ■■? The truck he went under was almost in the middle of one of the long laybyes which are set back off the main carrriageway with a kerb seperation . Didn’t explain that well :blush: but I mean the truck WAS parked properley and not anywhere near the carriagway or the end of the layby.

Condolences to the family of the driver

i saw this too…

a lot of ice in the layby… obv couldnt stop and slid stright under?

that car was well under the trailor…

u just never know wats going to happen out there…

yea you have a point about the ice Traz :bulb:

feel for the truck driver too , not nice

It’s always possible it was suicide.

Did this accident happen in daylight or in the dark?

Mr B:
It’s always possible it was suicide.

…or falling asleep, or being drunk, or mechanical failure, or heart attack, etc…

Lots of potential causes. We don’t know the facts of the case, so it’s not really appropriate to speculate.

Unlikely yo have been suicide, condolences to all involved, one of the biggest drawbacks to this job is all the serious road accidents we come across, be safe
:neutral_face: :neutral_face:
:neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

My own thought is that it was maybe a case of simply getting confused especially given the age of the fella. About five years back, just before the A6 turn around the Rothwell area me and a colleague where tootling behind George and Edna. It’s the exit where there’s space for a couple of trucks and that’s about it. They came off the A14 there, went along the slip and immediately joined the A14 right in front of us again without a care in the world. No indication or anything, no change of speed, seemed like they thought they were still on the A14 :exclamation: We both just looked at each other with a WTF? :open_mouth:

I don’t know the spot but certainly on the A19 there have been two fatals over the years where a layby is close to an exit slip and the car has, on both occasions, gone into the layby at slip road speed, then wallop. Don’t know if that is the case here. The lorry driver must be well shook up, hope he comes out of it alright.

bigdennis:
I don’t know the spot but certainly on the A19 there have been two fatals over the years where a layby is close to an exit slip and the car has, on both occasions, gone into the layby at slip road speed, then wallop. Don’t know if that is the case here. The lorry driver must be well shook up, hope he comes out of it alright.

Yeah the problem is the sign’s for the slip road is near the start of the layby ,and as soon as someone sees it they pull off the road thinking it’s the slip road.Theres one on the A1 just before the turn off for Kingston park South bound, and nearly every day i pass someone will try to pull into the layby instead of the sliproad.

was the fast lane still ok for ski-ing on when this happened?
i voiced my concerns about this road on tuesday after being broke down on it,and today it transpires everyones nearly ran out of grit.

similar thing happened a few years back on the a13, london bound, (believe conditions were, clear and dry, happened at night, iirc.)
think it was the layby between the tilbury and grays turn off.
a guy in an xr2, ploughed straight into the back of a stationery artic, the driver, was on a night out in the layby. remember the pics in the local paper, virtually the whole car, was wedged under the truck, between the t bar, and the rear axle, not nice.
the driver, slept through it, and wasn’t aware, what had happened, till the police banged on his door too wake him.

i know the xr2 driver was a fatal, can’t remember if he was alone or not.