A scenario

A learner books an assessment and you Recommend a 5 day course with a test on the 5th Day

During the course the learner gets to a certain standard but as an instructor you feel they are not ready…

He feels he is ready and wants to sit the test what do you do . ?

1/ Do you refuse to let him sit the test ?

2/ Do you let him sit the test ?

3/ Do you tell them they need further training at further cost ?

4/ Do you tell them they need further training and you will cover the cost ?

2 he has paid for the test and it is too late to cancel it.
The only other reason I would not let him go for test is if he was going to be a danger to the examiner or others on test.

I would stiil do 3 as well

If I had done a proper assesment and the trainee had taken my advice on the amount of hours needed then there should be no reason the trainee would not be ready for the test on the day agreed.

However on the slim chance that the trainee was struggling I would explain the situation and and ask if putting a few more hours on the course may be helpful. Having said that - if a trainee is struggling but obviously making progress then we usually give them a couple more hours anyway - 'cos we are soft!! Or should I say we are a small company so it is personal for us.
But if he/she still wanted to go for test then I would honour the agreement.

If a trainee is downright dangerous that would show up on assesment and I would refuse to book the course at all. They might wreck the truck :open_mouth:

Great answers specialy Mum

The only main problem is if you pull him out of the test.

As many will know ADI instructors on cars are supposed to pull people out of tests if the instructor feels they are not ready or dangerous.

All ADI’s are monitered and if they put a few in for test that are not ready they can be check tested,…

On trucks the rules are not the same, anyone who holds a provisional LGV licence and has passed a theory test… Can book an LGV test and just turn up at the test centre having not driven the truck at all and sit the Lgv Test.

Simply because there is no legal requirement to teach on an LGV truck apart from holding the license for 3 years.

Not that any company would do this.

But as mum said you have a contract with the learner and if you just refuse to take the learner they could have a claim against you.

I would do as Mum sais i would notice they were not doing to well and offer a few extra hours during the early day’s of the course.

Because after the first days training any good instructor will have seen the signs.

Please Do Not Shoot The Messanger

As many will know ADI instructors on cars are supposed to pull people out of tests if the instructor feels they are not ready or dangerous.

Yes, but the big diffference her is that a car learner is a pedestrian that is completely new to being a road user and is being taught how to use wheels from scratch. Some may have only been driving a few weeks and not developed any road sense, so it follows that they could still be dangerous and not up to test standard on the planned date.

An LGV trainee is a fully qualified driver that is simply undertaking a training course in handling a vehicle larger than they curently have a licence for. We are not teaching them to drive.

Well in theory that is - so WHY oh WHY do we have to explain speed limits - road signs - road markings - pedestiran crossings… :exclamation:
…Gotta lie down - got a headache :confused: :confused:

A bit off topic, but kinda in a similar vane, I have held a full car licence for 10 years… class C 6 months, but will have to do a CBT to ride a scooter to work… because obviously I have no road-sense :confused:

niall_y:
A bit off topic, but kinda in a similar vane, I have held a full car licence for 10 years… class C 6 months, but will have to do a CBT to ride a scooter to work… because obviously I have no road-sense :confused:

When you start to do the CBT you will find out that it is not about road-sense, it is about your being in full control of the scooter (balance at low speeds, use of the controls etc). Riding a powered two wheeler is different from driving a car or lorry. Whilst not saying that I agree with the concept of CBT, it is only the government’s way of trying to cut down on the amount of motor-cyclists having accidents :laughing: . Having said that, if you were to get a 50cc scooter which is restricted and classed as a “moped” you would be covered to ride it by your full car licence without the need of CBT or “L” plates, therefore free to go straight out on the road.(Who said that the law had to make sense?) :wink: :wink:

niall_y:

Again, it’s a different TYPE of vehicle. You have (or supposed to have) road sense when you start to do LGV training but you get trained because it is a different type of vehicle. :slight_smile:

I have held a full car licence for 10 years… class C 6 months, but will have to do a CBT to ride a scooter to work… because obviously I have no road-sense

I totally agree with Rog and Kickstart here.

Two wheels are a completely different ball game. I hold Car, Truck and Bus licences and in my well past and reckless youth I also had a motorbike licence. But I dont feel I could handle a bike right now.
(We do own a Honda Goldwing but Other Half uses that with me on the pillion. I could NEVER hold the weight of a Goldwing - so one has to bow to ones capabilities.)

I believe that all road users, once passing the car test, should have a half day in a truck and also on a bike so that they can see the huge differences in vehicles and whast they require on todays roads.
It would save a lot of accidents I do believe.
Hoe many car drivers understand how much room a truck takes to corner and how dangerous it is to get up the inside of them?
also how many car drivers and truckers realise how vulnerable bikers are and take enough care looking out for them.
Know I have gone completely off topic here but thought it was worth a mention.

kickstart:
Having said that, if you were to get a 50cc scooter which is restricted and classed as a “moped” you would be covered to ride it by your full car licence without the need of CBT or “L” plates, therefore free to go straight out on the road.(Who said that the law had to make sense?) :wink: :wink:

Only if you passed your car test before 1st February 2001. If you pass now, you get category p (122) which means it’s only valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course

Mothertrucker wrote:-

If I had done a proper assesment and the trainee had taken my advice on the amount of hours needed then there should be no reason the trainee would not be ready for the test on the day agreed.

Have to agree with Mothertrucker. On the very rare occasions that I have had a trainee who dis-appointed me in their progress, I will tell them that I expect them to struggle to pass the test, and have even spoken to the examiner, to warn him that the person ‘isn’t very good’.

Realistically of course if you run a course with a test at the end, the test has to be named well before the course ends and there is a presumption that by test day the candidate will be ready. If they are not, then there is a chance they may pass, or at least it can be treated as part of the learning, so that when they have reached the required standard they at least have had the experience of a test situation.