Question for the trainers?

Got a question for the trainers on here. or any trainee who desided to change trainers. I was woundering how further training is handled when training someone who has alreddy been with a trainer but desided to go with a new trainer. dose it normally mean doing the avrage 4 or 5 days training all over again ? or do some trainees only need a coulpe of days training ? in your expirance how common is it to have people come to you for training who have had training else where alreddy ?

I spend a LOT of time carrying out remedial training. I do it 2 ways. Either book a full course (obviously costly but belt and braces) or, more likely, come for a free assessment drive and then you will be advised how much training is required and the cost.

We always assess fairly and don’t always get the job 1st time. We’ve had it where we’ve assessed someone in your situation at 3 days. Someone else who needs the work more has assessed them at 1 day. Makes us look like robbers! Until they fail yet again and end up back with us.

Changing trainers should only be recommended where there is a breakdown of trust or confidence in the first trainer.

Hope this helps. Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When I was LGV training I had a few who had done a full course with another and failed the first test some time ago which could be a year previously

I assessed each one for 30 mins

What was surprising was the fact that all the previous training experience came right back within minutes

A few hours warming up mainly to get used to the vehicle and then test was all that was needed for each

Maybe I was lucky and all their previous training was very good …

What was surprising was the fact that all the previous training experience came right back within minutes

A few hours warming up mainly to get used to the vehicle and then test was all that was needed for each

Yes, the previous training does normally click straight back in. In my experience, I often wish it hadn’t!

Very often the candidate has to deal with a different vehicle, in a different area. And let’s not forget, there’s a reason why the person has failed.

Rog, you must have been very lucky if all they needed was a warm up and test. Certainly doesn’t mirror my experience.

Everyone’s different. This is why the assessment works. I’ve put rare ones in for test after 2 or 3 hours. But most need quite a bit more.

And the most common remark at the end of the assessment: “wish I’d come here to start with.” Followed by comments about instructor attitude and vehicle condition.

It’s always in my mind that the candidate has already taken a test. By definition, they could have passed. Which means they should be able to pick up the keys to one of my simple, new trucks and drive it without serious problem. But that’s unusual. Scary!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

thanks for the feed back. More than anything I think I just relly needed more time behind the wheel. I’v never been a fast learner when its comes to doing anything.

I had alot more lessons learning to drive a car than any of my friends but over the years I became the only one to wined up never having a crash, so far touch wood. so I know I can do things pritty well just need longer to get there than most.

I always felt i was going to need more than 3 days driving after the assement drive to feel reddy in my self to take a test. I think this is where I droped the ball. I should have insisted on more days but i got to keen on the idear of wrapping it up in 3 days.

thanks again for the feed back from everyone whos posted on all the recent topics. been very helpful.

I did change trainers form my C to CE found the 2nd to be much better tbh as I have said the 1st one I was with kept changing instructors every day so no consistency the 2nd had the same instructor all week witch I found much better or for me anyway also a mate has done the same he went to the same 1 as me 1st time passed his C then went for CE but failed twice so he is changing although a lot of people do pass with the 1st company I used

It wasnt hard to change vehicles the 1st had been a Iveco the 2nd Scania

I changed trainers when it came to my c+e test ,
when I took class 2 I was lucky just really needed training with a larger veh space awareness etc and passed , thought I had a decent trainer and thought a harsh trainer was across the board with hgv as is a hard test to pass so went back to same place for c+e as it turned out needed more instruction and proper training for the class 1 test , this guy just did not have the patience that was required to teach me on my reversing which is what i struggled with , many tearfull nights on that weeks training and result was a fail ,

Peter Smythe offered up a challenge that he could teach me to reverse in 3 hrs or he would eat his hat , so I took him up on his offer and in fact with a a totally different approach ie proper training he taught it in under an hr :open_mouth:

he asessed my driving and gave me a couple of days training on his vehs and second test I failed again but not on reverse , i had spent a week in an artic and took a left turn too wide and encroached on cars coming the other way a fail but took another days training and his trainer worked on my cornering and took another test, a pass with only two minors , to say I was estatic was an understatement as the examiner found out when i kissed him lol :blush:

I have read your posts and if an examiner fell asleep on me whilst he was supposed to be training me :open_mouth: ,

there are good and bad trainers out there , my husband is a trainer (not hgv) but teaches people how to understand things and told me that if a candidate does not understand something then it is up to him to find a way to make them understand and takes it as a failure upon himself not the trainee if they dont get it :exclamation: so finds a way to explain so they do understand :exclamation:

A good hgv trainer will see what you need and work on it for you also will give you all the information need to pass your test , I hope you pass soon as im sure you will

all the best

jrt:
Got a question for the trainers on here. or any trainee who desided to change trainers. I was woundering how further training is handled when training someone who has alreddy been with a trainer but desided to go with a new trainer. dose it normally mean doing the avrage 4 or 5 days training all over again ? or do some trainees only need a coulpe of days training ? in your expirance how common is it to have people come to you for training who have had training else where alreddy ?

It is always easy to be wise after the event . I would recommend
a . Training in the newest vehicle possible ( I found it really difficult selecting reverse and while this is not a problem during training , it is extemely distracting when doing your test ). -The vehicle which I trained in had to have the gear box linkages etc overhauled , and in addition a new king pin mechanism installed . I failed one test because the pin jammed and could not get it to release. On another occasion the drivers window dropped out of the sliding mechanism and also had to visit Volvo garage to rectify problems with steering
b. Has the trainer himself been trained to train ? . Who has assessed his training skills and does he / she have any documentary proof ? .
It is very easy for me to assess problems after the event ( have both C&E and Cat D ) but with the benefit of hindsight I would have preferred to train in a newer vehicle and with a trainer whose teaching abilities were regularly assessed . This would have been cheaper in the long run as my only real problem during tests was reversing . A quality course may appear to be more expense , but works out cheaper in the long term if you pass at first attempt . Why make life difficult in training in an old vehicle. ? A quality trainer should be aware of a candidates individual weaknesses and concentrate on rectifying them . ( not just give a repeat of the previous course when the candidate rebooks . )

My good value course for C & E ended up costing me twice what it should have been afte paying for various re sits . The more expensive course would have ended up cheaper in the long term

Yer Think think getting the best trainer you can dose pay in the long run. The cheapest way is the most expensive option in the first place.

jrt:
Yer Think think getting the best trainer you can dose pay in the long run. The cheapest way is the most expensive option in the first place.

or as some else said " you buy cheap you buy twice" …good luck to anyone out there doing this :smiley:

Jennie:
Peter Smythe offered up a challenge that he could teach me to reverse in 3 hrs or he would eat his hat , so I took him up on his offer and in fact with a a totally different approach ie proper training he taught it in under an hr

1 hour for cracking the CE reverse was the same for almost all of my trainees - there was one exception !!

I’ll bet he informed you of what would happen and why which is the underpinning knowledge - yes?

Out of interest, just had someone in for assessment on CE. Had failed elsewhere on “move away safely” and “steering” and had collected 17 minors along the way incl reversing and coupling/uncoupling.

Chose previous trainer on price - £200 cheaper than me.

All the normal comments “wish I’d come here first”. “Thought all lorries behaved like that”. “you could eat your dinner off the floor of this one - the other one was a right sxxt tip”.

Basically, the best thing the previous trainer has done is take money. Just taken £870 to put him right.

So much cheaper to do it properly in the first place.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Jennie:
Peter Smythe offered up a challenge that he could teach me to reverse in 3 hrs or he would eat his hat , so I took him up on his offer and in fact with a a totally different approach ie proper training he taught it in under an hr

1 hour for cracking the CE reverse was the same for almost all of my trainees - there was one exception !!

I’ll bet he informed you of what would happen and why which is the underpinning knowledge - yes?

in fact was cracking it and understanding after about 3 attempts so well under an hour ::

the difference ~ he taught me rather than just shouting up "turn the wheel " explained it all to me rather that at me and so was able to teach me , Peter has the right way of speaking to people a valuable thing in his line of work , he feels the failure of any trainee so does his best to make sure all who take the tests are at the standard to pass , and all the trainers who work for him share his passion for training , he will give advise free of charge and never any hard sell , in fact that lesson of reversing was free to me , he never took a penny ,

:smiley:

in fact that lesson of reversing was free to me , he never took a penny ,

… but it’ll cost you a fortune in home made cookies in the long run!!

Thanks for the kind words, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

in fact that lesson of reversing was free to me , he never took a penny ,

… but it’ll cost you a fortune in home made cookies in the long run!!

Thanks for the kind words, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

subtle as ever Peter :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

subtle as ever Peter

I try!