A question regarding payment structure

Hi i am in a job now were i get split pay when i am in the truck i get a bit more than when im in the warehouse im on lets just say £8 driving £6 warehouse. The problem is i was told by a truck driver this was illegal he says i should get 1 rate of pay for the job that i do, does this sound right or can a company pay u for 2 diffrent jobs ? thx in advance. :smiley:

Not sure if it’s legal, but I see no reason why it shouldn’t be.
However if you are happy with the job and at the end of the week the pay is roughly what you’d expect for that type of work then why complain. If you do they are unlikley to pay you £8 ph all through, but take the average.

i dont know about full time jobs but with agency work, i get paid the highest rate for what im doing ie if im there to drive and they want me to help in the warehouse, they pay class 1 rate from start to finish

If it’s in your contract, written or verbal, and you either signed it or didn’t object to it within 13 weeks, then it’s legal.

scanny77:
i dont know about full time jobs but with agency work, i get paid the highest rate for what im doing ie if im there to drive and they want me to help in the warehouse, they pay class 1 rate from start to finish

Thats surely not the norm though is it Richie. Agencies use split pay grades more than any other employer i know of say for example £6.50 for a van job £7.50 for a class 2 job and £8.50 for a class 1 job that sort of thing…But if they are desperate to cover a cruddy job they may well offer it at a higher rate to sweeten the deal a bit …Thats my experience of it anyway past and present

PMAC:
The problem is i was told by a truck driver this was illegal he says i should get 1 rate of pay for the job that i do, does this sound right or can a company pay u for 2 diffrent jobs ? thx in advance. :smiley:

Urban myth.

Obviously it depends upon your Contract of Employment, and your Job Description, but if you have agreed to accept one rate of pay for a particular function, and are then paid an ‘enhanced rate’ when fulfulling a more demanding function, then that would be normal in any Employment sector.

I’d suggest that the person you had been speaking to has an ego that determines that he speaks from an orifice other than his mouth.
:wink: