A question about endorsements

hi all,
not sure if this is the right section to post this but maybe someone can help.

i drive a bin lorry (just recently started) and today i did about 63 mph on the motorway the other bloke noticed this and said when my employer download my digicard and notice that i was speeding then they will have a go at me and also make me sign something to say i broke the law. Has anyone experienced this before? will they pass on the information to authorities? will i get points?
thanks

No limiter on the bin lorry restricting you to 56mph?

tramp:
hi all,
not sure if this is the right section to post this but maybe someone can help.

i drive a bin lorry (just recently started) and today i did about 63 mph on the motorway the other bloke noticed this and said when my employer download my digicard and notice that i was speeding then they will have a go at me and also make me sign something to say i broke the law. Has anyone experienced this before? will they pass on the information to authorities? will i get points?
thanks

No points - no fine
you might get a company discipline letter

The legal limit for an LGV vehicle on a motorway is 60 MPH so you were only going 3 mph over the limit.
I know speeding is speeding but I doubt if you will get into any trouble for this one small hitch.
Unless you where caught by either a camera or police and issued with a fine then there are no points to worry about.
Your employers cannot make you sign anything you dont want to I suspect.

You’ll most likely get an infringement to sign, it’s just the company’s way of showing that they are checking the records and pointing out to you your little indiscretions :wink:

It’s a company system and isn’t passed on to any authority, so just sign it and watch the speed in future :wink:

Is the digicard downloaded every day :question: Thanks to this site I was under the impression that the speed trace disappeared after 24 hours.

Also - aren’t bin lorries exempt from the tacho regs :question: I also thought that they had to be fitted with speed limiters.

SuperLez:
Thanks to this site I was under the impression that the speed trace disappeared after 24 hours.

As far as I can remember any over-speeds (over 60 mph) of over 1 minute are recorded on the card and therefore the printout if there is one, I think it just shows the maximum speed and the duration of over-speed.

there is a limiter but i was heavy loaded and going downhill.

the cards are downloaded every 2 weeks.

what if vosa turn up at my work asking to see all the driver tacho print outs? and then they see i was speeding? im just wondering about all the possibilities

thanks

tramp:
what if vosa turn up at my work asking to see all the driver tacho print outs? and then they see i was speeding? im just wondering about all the possibilities

The chances of that happening are slim, if it’s a one off you’ve got absolutely nothing to worry about, if it’s been a regular occurrence simply stop going over 60 mph and all will be well, don’t lose any sleep over it because you’re not going to get done for speeding because of this :smiley:

BTW if you were doing over 60 for less than a minute it shouldn’t show on the card anyway.

for some reason i thought they couldnt use tacho’s to prosecute for speeding infringements but can be used to confirm other evidence of speeding. (ie camera’s, police witnessing the speeding and so on, or if the tacho is in question for something else as well (like going over hours or something)?

is this right or not? does anyone know?

Giblsa:
for some reason i thought they couldnt use tacho’s to prosecute for speeding infringements

In a recent training session I was told this.

Also, up until today I have worked on the bins and at least 10% of the fleet can travel above 89kph. I don’t know if this is a fault or wear and tear on the wagons

SuperLez:
Thanks to this site I was under the impression that the speed trace disappeared after 24 hours.

Hi SuperLez, Can you find the quote, because I’m wondering who on earth believes that… :confused:

“Under the impression” you may have been, but surely you didn’t actually believe it without checking the myriad of posts on the subject in the H&S and law forum. :confused:
:bulb: Asking for clarification doesn’t hurt either… :unamused: :grimacing:

The only daft question is the one you don’t ask, since not asking this kind of question could prove quite expensive. :wink:

dieseldave:

SuperLez:

Hi SuperLez, Can you find the quote, because I’m wondering who on earth believes that… :confused:

“Under the impression” you may have been, but surely you didn’t actually believe it without checking the myriad of posts on the subject in the H&S and law forum. :confused:

The only daft question is the one you don’t ask, since not asking this kind of question could prove quite expensive. :wink:

I think there’s some confusion here, as far as I’m aware the digital tachograph only records a full speed trace for a 24 hour period, however any over-speeds are still recorded as over-speeds (no surprise there then :wink:) which will be recorded on the driver card, these records will remain on the driver card until over-written which could be as little as 28 days but is more likely to be much much longer.

I suspect SuperLez was probably confusing the speed trace with what’s recorded on the driver card.

The digital tachograph speed trace is described here by geebee45 (third post from the bottom of the page)

geebee45:
The Vehicle Unit records speeds in whole Km/h for every second that the vehicle moves. However, this record is limited to 24 hours of vehicle movement in total (still some 86 000 individual speed readings). If the vehicle is parked up overnight, eg. 9 hours all those readings of of zero Km/h are ignored by the tacho and it will start recording speed again when the vehicle moves the following morning.

tachograph:
I think there’s some confusion here, as far as I’m aware the digital tachograph only records a full speed trace for a 24 hour period, however any over-speeds are still recorded as over-speeds (no surprise there then :wink:) which will be recorded on the driver card, these records will remain on the driver card until over-written which could be as little as 28 days but is more likely to be much much longer.

That’s my whole point.:grimacing:
IMHO, where there’s any doubt, a person should ask.
The TNUK forums are an excellent one-stop-shop for good advice, since we have experts in many fields. :smiley:

tachograph:
I suspect SuperLez was probably confusing the speed trace with what’s recorded on the driver card.

That’s possibly true, but the subject has been covered in some depth in the H&S and law forum. A little searching might sort out a question quite quickly, but on the other hand, the beauty of a forum is that it’s very easy to ask for clarification then somebody such as yourself, Coffeeholic or Geebee45 (or maybe all three) will give a good answer.:grimacing:

I was trying to politely point out a general principle that, given that there was some doubt, maybe SuperLez might have gone back and re-read where he thought the original info had come from. Failing a clarification from that, it’s then a fairly easy matter to ask the right question. :blush: Sorry if I was unclear. :blush:

:open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: Oh, I almost forgot that other bloke who wears a hi-viz that looks like a Swiss cheese. :wink:

dieseldave:

SuperLez:

You’re right to pull me up - but not for the reasons you set out above…

I have read a lot of posts on this matter (and not only in the H&S forum) and was aware that the SPEED TRACE on the card does indeed disppear after approximately 24 hours - but I see that this wasn’t even under discussion in this thread :exclamation:

I simply forgot in the heat of the moment that OVERSPEEDS (the matter that WAS under discussion) are recorded on the card on an “as and when they occur” basis. While I was posting (with brain cruising along in neutral) I plain and simply got it into my head that the speed trace was the ONLY means that speeding infringements were indeed recorded. Built in predjudices at work…

This is an unforgiveable piece of looseness on my part. I feel that I did indeed correctly state a fact learned here - but I’m now aware that it is completely out of context of the question posed by the OP.

PS - if I’m unsure or plain don’t know about anything I WILL ASK - I’m not shy that way :exclamation: :wink:

SuperLez:
…was aware that the SPEED TRACE on the card does indeed disppear after approximately 24 hours

Eh? I was under the impression that the SPEED “TRACE” was only on the VU for c. 24h and not on the card at all. :confused: Please clarify.

macplaxton:

SuperLez:
…was aware that the SPEED TRACE on the card does indeed disppear after approximately 24 hours

Eh? I was under the impression that the SPEED “TRACE” was only on the VU for c. 24h and not on the card at all. :confused: Please clarify.

That’s correct, a little typo there by SuperLez, there’s no speed trace on the driver card so it should read, speed trace on the VU, or tachograph, or tachograph head, or just speed trace.
Anything but “speed trace on the card” really :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

“i drive a bin lorry (just recently started)”

Interesting,
Because if it was engaged on Local Authority work.
Wouldn’t that fall into an “Tachograph excempt category “

Awaiting flack :slight_smile:

DoubleQ:
“i drive a bin lorry (just recently started)”

Interesting,
Because if it was engaged on Local Authority work.
Wouldn’t that fall into an “Tachograph excempt category “

Awaiting flack :slight_smile:

Does it depend on how long you have BIN doing it :question: - probably WASTE-ING my time asking as my question is a load of RUBBISH :wink: :laughing: